PDA

View Full Version : 8800 Contact (Address Book) Size Limit?


wcberry
03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
In trying to sync my 8800 to Outlook, I get an error trying to sync over 256 contacts. I did not realize there is a limit. I replaced my 8700 with this 8800 and it had over 1000 contacts on it.

Is there a work around for this or is this really the max?

Thanks.

GoFrogs
03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
This isn't an 8800 problem that I know of. I have over 1300 contacts and mine syncs all of them with no errors. It may be an outlook issue, but don't know why this wouldn't show up on the 8700. I sync with Notes.

mgerbasio
03-21-2007, 03:57 PM
I use OL2003 and BB on BES and have no trouble with more than 700 contacts. Even before I connected to the BES it worked fine.

Regards-Michael G.

Michbb
03-21-2007, 04:04 PM
My boss has over 3000 contacts and not a problem syncing...

skmiller
03-21-2007, 08:36 PM
wcberry: I have run across this at my company when trying to synch certain end-users blackberrys with outlook. The problem is not the amount of contacts, however, it is the data fields within the contacts that are causing the problem.

1. In outlook go to your contacts
2. Click view->arrangeby->current view->By Category.
3. Right click Full Name in the field bar and select Field Choser.
4. In the field choser pop-up box click on the first name field and drag and drop this up next to full name.
5. Once First name is shown as a field, click on it to sort all your contacts by first name.
6. Any contact which does not have a first name you must type in a first name in this field.
7. Try to resynch and you should not have anymore problems.

We have run across this error numereous times at my company, this has fixed it every time. On average end-users at my company have over 1000 contacts on their 8700 and 8800's. I just recently upgraded someone to 8800 who has 4600 contacts in Outlook.

If this still does not work check to make sure that your outlook mail profile is not set to use cached exchange mode. For some reason this also generates an error message when synching bberry. As a work around we create a second mail profile without cached exchange mode and set BB Desktop Manager to open with this profile and Outlook to use the profile with Cached Exchange.

ntegrt
03-21-2007, 09:10 PM
I also had this problem on my Pearl several months ago (prior to my 8800) and got that same message.
All I did to correct the problem was basically restore the unit back to as if it was brand new with no data, reloaded my bb software on pc, and just started things back over and it never did it again. Very strange.

archer6
03-21-2007, 09:16 PM
I have 3,256 contacts on mine using Outlook 2003. It syncs in just under 10 seconds. No problem. The fastest and most stable of any smartphone I have used.

Cheers...

wcberry
03-22-2007, 05:53 AM
wcberry: I have run across this at my company when trying to synch certain end-users blackberrys with outlook. The problem is not the amount of contacts, however, it is the data fields within the contacts that are causing the problem.

1. In outlook go to your contacts
2. Click view->arrangeby->current view->By Category.
3. Right click Full Name in the field bar and select Field Choser.
4. In the field choser pop-up box click on the first name field and drag and drop this up next to full name.
5. Once First name is shown as a field, click on it to sort all your contacts by first name.
6. Any contact which does not have a first name you must type in a first name in this field.
7. Try to resynch and you should not have anymore problems.

We have run across this error numereous times at my company, this has fixed it every time. On average end-users at my company have over 1000 contacts on their 8700 and 8800's. I just recently upgraded someone to 8800 who has 4600 contacts in Outlook.

If this still does not work check to make sure that your outlook mail profile is not set to use cached exchange mode. For some reason this also generates an error message when synching bberry. As a work around we create a second mail profile without cached exchange mode and set BB Desktop Manager to open with this profile and Outlook to use the profile with Cached Exchange.


This was the problem. I had about 5 contacts without first names. Once I filled in first names for those contacts, the transfer went without a problem. Strange that the 8700 worked without having to do this.
Thanks for your prompt and correct reply. (y)

Wendell

skmiller
03-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Great! Glad that worked for you!
It does happen on the 8700 as well depending on handheld os or possibly desktop manager software. Not sure which it is as it started happening at my company in the past month or so. We were pulling our hair out trying to figure it out and after going over the synch logs a bunch of times we finally were able to fix the problem.