PDA

View Full Version : Which Blackberry?

Breadman
03-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Hello, I am a Newbie to this forum and have a general question of sorts.
I have been a Windows mobile user for 6 years, and a palm user before that. Mycompany has currently changed over to blackberries and I would like to know the ins and outs of the 8700 vs the 8800. Which is better. Is the 8800 with GPS worth having and does the 8700 offer navigation via GPS as an add on? I am currently with TMobile . Thanks for any help sorting this out.

mgerbasio
03-25-2007, 11:47 AM
If you had been using a Windows Mobile device you may be disappointed. The BB has very limited third party software, the user interface isn't as pretty, it has limited functionality compared with WM with the latter offering better multimedia experience, html email, faster browsing. The BB is better at text based (no html), secure, email and centrally controlled services. The battery life is better with the BB too although it has been a couple of years since I used a WM device I've read the Q and Blackjack have horrible battery life not nearly making it through a day. You also won't have pocket office with a BB or the ability to sync files and view them on the BB like pdf, text, etc. although there are third party workarounds.

IMHO, the 8800 is better than the 8700 due to the GPS. The keyboard on the 8700 is better (for me I'm faster and less error prone with it), but the 8800 sound better both incoming and outgoing. I don't believe T-Mobile offers the 8800 yet so you'd have to get one unlocked. GPS navigation is via free BB Maps, which is worth what you pay for it, or for $10/mo using Telenav. Do a search and you'll find plenty of GPS information as there are other solutions being released soon. The best thing about GPS right now is Infoseek Find It, really cool.

The forum has plenty of information about the BB, just about anything you can think of has been asked and answered with lots of opinions attached.

The 8800 with third party software gets me as close to WM as I need through my workday althoguh I would like Pocket Informant on the BB. Sure, I wish it had the screen of the 8525 and HSDPA but each BB model seems to get that much better.

Regards-Michael G.

takeshi
03-26-2007, 08:26 AM
IMO the Blackberry's stability and reliability are worth the tradeoff. I'd always rather have a wireless device that I can rely on.

Whether GPS is worthwhile or not is going to be a matter of personal preference. I find it very useful. YMMV. You can get GPS navigation with the 8700 but you have to have a separate Bluetooth GPS receiver.

They keyboard on the 8800 is different -- I wouldn't say that the 8700 is "better" (again a subjective matter).

Media support is much better on the 8800 and pretty close to nonexisent on the 8700 if that matters.

I suggest reading the two device-specfic forums and asking specific questions when you come up with them. There's a ton of information on this site.

brucejr
03-26-2007, 08:40 AM
8700 with a BT Puck for GPS which is what I use with my 8100. 8800 is GPS ready so no BT puck is necessary.

8800 (like takeshi said) has more media capabilities than the 8700.

Keyboard is a subjective matter. Some say the 8800 has a better keyboard, others say it is the same.

While WM does offer does offer some things not available to the BB (mobile word, excel, etc), the trade off is reset, reset, reset, with the Windows device.

Again like was said prior, look into each devices threads and see what the hot topics of discussion are. I would also recommend seeing each device in person to judge for yourself which you like better.

myztikal47
03-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Can someone please post a link for one of the GPS dongles? I can't seem to find them. Thanks!

Kriz
03-26-2007, 06:01 PM
If you are just testing the Blackberry waters...buying a used device can be a good option. I had a 8700c and actually went to a 7130c and I think this is the best one for ME. I cannot have a camera at work and the size and functionality fits perfect....but that is just my opinion for my situation. Good luck!

archer6
03-26-2007, 07:01 PM
If you are just testing the Blackberry waters...buying a used device can be a good option. I had a 8700c and actually went to a 7130c and I think this is the best one for ME. I cannot have a camera at work and the size and functionality fits perfect....but that is just my opinion for my situation. Good luck!

Well said ! It really is a matter of personal opinion. I have all four and find the 7130c to be my alltime favorite. I handle a lot of email throughout the day and I can type faster and more accurate on the 7130 than any of the full qwerty BB's I have. Plus I like that it's the best (for me) regarding one handed operation and size.

Take your time and give each fair consideration and you are bound to find the one that suits you best.

Cheers....

brucejr
03-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Can someone please post a link for one of the GPS dongles? I can't seem to find them. Thanks!

Do you mean GPS BT pucks?

myztikal47
03-26-2007, 09:04 PM
Do you mean GPS BT pucks?

Yea...

mgerbasio
03-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I've used Semsons & Co. Inc. (http://www.semsons.com) in the past with good results. You can also pick these up locally at stores like circuit city.

Regards-Michael G.

brucejr
03-27-2007, 06:20 AM
Good place to go for reviews is here: Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Tips (http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/Blackberry_GPS.htm) I use the Globalsat 359 with awesome results. Used it 1st with my 8703e and now my 8100.

takeshi
03-27-2007, 09:07 AM
You can use any BT GPS puck but like anything else performance and quality can vary from make to make and model to model. Definitely read the GPS threads for recommended models.