PDA

View Full Version : BB7520 (Nextel) in Toronto; no internet??

Incognito
04-22-2005, 03:42 PM
I just got back from Toronto. Was there for the past 2 days, and my BB 7520 with Nextel, with static IP address, got good signal for voice (4 to 5 bars at all times), and NOL worked, but most of my aftermarket software didn't. Verichat (v.1.96b), IM+ and Webviewer all didn't work. They all stay at the connecting screen, and nothing happens. I use BWC, and emails come through with no problems. Berry411 and BBToday both worked fine, but BBToday's weather section didn't work. Said something like unable to get connection.

I am back in NJ right now, and everything works, so I know it's not corrupt software or whatever.

Anyone know why, and what I can do to get these to work? I am going back up to Toronto in a week and a half.

Thanks in advance.

socal77
04-22-2005, 09:57 PM
I was in Vancouver last month and same thing. It was weird because my mom lives near the border (on the Canada side) and at the front of the house I was roaming on Telus and the back of the house was NEXTEL. The crappy thing though is when you are on Telus, the banner still says NEXTEL. I had to actually go into the control panel -> Network and see what network I was on (either [USA] NEXTEL or [CAN] TELUS).

On another note, international data roaming on the BlackBerry is free until July 2005. After that I will be putting my sim into my i860 when I travel to Canada, there is not way I am paying those outrageous fees.

wendymak
04-23-2005, 05:19 AM
That's because those application uses TCP/IP connection. Nextel/TELUS does not support roaming of TCP/IP traffic for the iDEN BackBerry...if those applications uses MDS, then it wont be an issue...

Incognito
04-23-2005, 08:38 PM
That's because those application uses TCP/IP connection. Nextel/TELUS does not support roaming of TCP/IP traffic for the iDEN BackBerry...if those applications uses MDS, then it wont be an issue...

OK, I'm a little bit Blackberry stupid. Is there a way to make the thing work off MDS when I'm in Toronto? If not, is there any way to make those 3rd party applications work when I'm out there, roaming?

My Blackberry (just like socal77's) still said Nextel on the banner, but when I went into the control panel, it did say (CAN) Telus.