PDA

View Full Version : BGR has some new 8300 info..

BBChristopher
03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Looks like RIM has been listening!!!

XM radio on your BB?
AIM client???

Sweet!!!!!!! hahahahah
Do the clicky clicky..

BlackBerry & Cingular Goodies! : The Boy Genius Report (http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2007/03/26/blackberry-cingular-goodies/)

nike30
03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Don't need an AIM client anymore. JiveTalk rules the nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the XM idea, though!

MrKyoo
03-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Don't need an AIM client anymore. JiveTalk rules the nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the XM idea, though!
What happens when JiveTalk starts charging for their product?

~MrKyoo

LunkHead
03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
I thought XM was purchased by Sirius and they were merging????

nike30
03-26-2007, 05:24 PM
At that point, folks will obviously have to make a choice. And unless Rim offers multi-clients, I'll remain a Jiver.

BBChristopher
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey, at least RIM is getting more involved in offering some media choices!

Rhack9
03-27-2007, 12:00 AM
XM seals the deal. I was going to try to hold on to my 8800 and wait for the 9xxx. But with XM on the 8300, my 8800 will be on eBay sooner than I thought. Bawlin.

Jagga
03-27-2007, 02:31 AM
I just noticed something peculiar ....

on the VERY last photo of the 8300 on BG's site there is an app called AIM WV SwRelay ... the service record view shows " AIM WV SwRelay, UID: AYU006 ".

If i'm not sadly mistaken is this NOT an SwRelay for the hearing impaired (like text to talk, or talk to text, or text to video relay)? If so would that mean that BG = Mark Rehjon? He hasn't posted for quite a while here has he?

He's always been a HUGE contributor to this site & many others ... and a HUGE reason for RIMs early success since 7290/7250 towards 8700 days ... main push for Sidekick users going to BB's. Sorry got sidetracked. but seriously what is this app for?

ARHYTHMATIK
03-27-2007, 02:55 AM
Very interesting. What's the story with Mark Rehjon? Was he deaf or hard of hearing or something? Just curious because my sister is deaf and I'm a sign language interpreter.

Back to the 8300 and XM radio though- so this means the 8300 can stream audio- what are the odds it can stream video, or stream audio with other apps?

Jayden0606
03-27-2007, 03:41 AM
My only questions is whether or not the AIM client will use Data or SMS. At this point, if it uses Data, I will be dropping my sidekick and turning in my Treo for the "UpStage" and call it a day.

dialekt
03-27-2007, 05:58 AM
WV = Wireless Village right? From what I remember it has something to do with sms relay. I remember this vastly because on one of my pocketpc devices (The MDA) I thought I had a virus but it turns out my AIM via T-Mobile's SMS relay OZ client was the culprit.

Dubdub
03-27-2007, 06:41 AM
XM through your BB will cost an additional 8.99 a month. I don't pay that much for the ones in my house and car. Plus you only get 25 channels.

Dubdub
03-27-2007, 06:42 AM
I thought XM was purchased by Sirius and they were merging????

They will eventually merge is the FCC approves it, but that will take awhile.

shona67
03-27-2007, 06:46 AM
Very interesting. What's the story with Mark Rehjon? Was he deaf or hard of hearing or something? Just curious because my sister is deaf and I'm a sign language interpreter.

Back to the 8300 and XM radio though- so this means the 8300 can stream audio- what are the odds it can stream video, or stream audio with other apps?

Yes he is deaf/hard of hearing.

PhillyGuy
03-27-2007, 07:01 AM
XM through your BB will cost an additional 8.99 a month. I don't pay that much for the ones in my house and car. Plus you only get 25 channels.

Do you have confirmation on this? What if you're an existing subscriber?

BBChristopher
03-27-2007, 10:02 AM
BGR shows the 8.99 per month as the cost.

As far as existing subscribers? Looks like this is additional.

Better check though....

clyde_turkey
03-27-2007, 10:12 AM

I would doubt it, since all of the screen shots show Cingular as the carrier and Mark lives(d) in Ottawa, Canada. www dot marky dot com
Although his website doesn't look like it has been updated in some time.....

nike30
03-27-2007, 10:35 AM
So does this mean that 83XX will have streaming capabilities?

Will this be a first?

ARHYTHMATIK
03-27-2007, 10:59 AM
I would doubt it, since all of the screen shots show Cingular as the carrier and Mark lives(d) in Ottawa, Canada. www dot marky dot com
Although his website doesn't look like it has been updated in some time.....

Very interesting-- thanks for the link.

clyde_turkey
03-27-2007, 12:14 PM
So does this mean that 83XX will have streaming capabilities?

Will this be a first?

No. If you notice in the pics the app builder is MobiTV. Rogers has had this service for the BB some time now. Quickplayer is also another service that does this.

archer6
03-27-2007, 12:35 PM
XM seals the deal.

Oh Boy! Now I can tape my BB to the dashboard and have XM in my car!................(just kidding)..........:smile:

I couldn't do that..... I already have one taped to the dash.................:razz:

IanHummel
03-27-2007, 02:05 PM
yay, more information about yet another BB model and cigular. This is just getting ridiculous. If At&t/Cingular wasn't so damn expensive I'd just switch over there, but they can't even come close to what I'm getting with T-Mobile.
1,500 anytime, unlimited text, unlimited data with BES for $105 a month after taxes.

richard371
03-27-2007, 02:33 PM
It is available for the 8800 too. Go to medianet and search for XM.

ShaynePierce
03-27-2007, 04:57 PM
but they can't even come close to what I'm getting with T-Mobile.
1,500 anytime, unlimited text, unlimited data with BES for $105 a month after taxes.

I totally agree. I have almost exactly the same TMO plan but have added two family phones and my bill comes to only $150-ish. Plus all the free calls between t-mobile users and unlimited data. Cingular has nothing close. And I usually get a better signal from TMO in my home area.

archer6
03-27-2007, 05:13 PM
yay, more information about yet another BB model and cigular. This is just getting ridiculous. If At&t/Cingular wasn't so damn expensive I'd just switch over there, but they can't even come close to what I'm getting with T-Mobile.

With all due respect you might want to check your numbers.

I've been a happy T-Mobile customer for over five years with their Hot-Spot WiFi service I use with my laptop. I'm attracted to T-Mobile as I would like to have everything on one bill. Also I have recieved very good service from them. I also believe they are making some good moves for the future.

Just recently I went to the T=Mobile store, to see if they could match or even come close to the pricing I am enjoying from Cingular. In addition, it's important for people reading this to know, that I'm not getting "special pricing, or as a result of an "older less expensive plan".

I'm currently paying $29.99 for unlimited data vs: T-Mobile at $39.99 same plan, then with messenging and airtime the T-Mobile quote (from the manager) was exactly $37.22 more than I'm currently paying. That's $37.22 MORE than CINGULAR!

So I'm quite curious. How could one make the statement that Cingular / at& t is so damn expensive?

I was ready to buy a new 8703c and migrate to T-Mobile when I came into the store, however T-Mobile was honest as I have always found them to be, and told me that they could not be competitive. I was very impressed with their honesty in not trying to dupe a customer. They gave me the facts, no smoke and mirrors.

I remain a very happy, 100% satisfied Cingular customer after 5 years and approx 20 phones. Six of which have been BlackBerrys including the new ones that I currenly own and use. My 7130c, 8700c, 8100, and 8800c

Thanks to Cingular I enjoy a great wireless experience, with a world class organization that has always thanked me for my business and been there to take care of my needs. What could be better?

Cheers.........:smile:

wayneholbrook
03-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Im not sure what cing store you are shopping at, but I have unlimited data with t-mobile for 19.99 month. Iuse to have cing, and my bill was way more than I am paying now with t-mobile. Dont even get me started on cing customer service compared to t-mobile. not even close. T-Mobile all the way..............

wblovett
03-27-2007, 05:34 PM

I've been a happy T-Mobile customer for over five years with their Hot-Spot WiFi service I use with my laptop. I'm attracted to T-Mobile as I would like to have everything on one bill. Also I have recieved very good service from them. I also believe they are making some good moves for the future.

Just recently I went to the T=Mobile store, to see if they could match or even come close to the pricing I am enjoying from Cingular. In addition, it's important for people reading this to know, that I'm not getting "special pricing, or as a result of an "older less expensive plan".

I'm currently paying $29.99 for unlimited data vs: T-Mobile at $39.99 same plan, then with messenging and airtime the T-Mobile quote (from the manager) was exactly $37.22 more than I'm currently paying. That's $37.22 MORE than CINGULAR!

So I'm quite curious. How could one make the statement that Cingular / at& t is so damn expensive?

I was ready to buy a new 8703c and migrate to T-Mobile when I came into the store, however T-Mobile was honest as I have always found them to be, and told me that they could not be competitive. I was very impressed with their honesty in not trying to dupe a customer. They gave me the facts, no smoke and mirrors.

I remain a very happy, 100% satisfied Cingular customer after 5 years and approx 20 phones. Six of which have been BlackBerrys including the new ones that I currenly own and use. My 7130c, 8700c, 8100, and 8800c

Thanks to Cingular I enjoy a great wireless experience, with a world class organization that has always thanked me for my business and been there to take care of my needs. What could be better?

Since it looked like Cingular was getting all the good phones and T-Mo was falling behind, I looked into switching service. Here's what I found. T-Mo provides me with unlimited data for my Blackberry, including text messages, and 1000 anytime minutes for $59/month. Cingular offered 450 anytime minutes and the same data for just under $100. I did the math and bought an unlocked 8800 to use with T-Mo.

archer6
03-27-2007, 05:41 PM
Since it looked like Cingular was getting all the good phones and T-Mo was falling behind, I looked into switching service. Here's what I found. T-Mo provides me with unlimited data for my Blackberry, including text messages, and 1000 anytime minutes for $59/month. Cingular offered 450 anytime minutes and the same data for just under $100. I did the math and bought an unlocked 8800 to use with T-Mo.

Perhaps that's what happened in my case, I let the T-Mobile manager do the math...ha...ha...8-)

Hey what the heck, it's only a cell phone.

IanHummel
03-27-2007, 05:55 PM

Check my numbers eh?

T-Mobile
$49.99 1500 anytime minutes unl n/w
$15 unlimited txt
$29.99 BES and unlimited internet

$95 + $10 tax = $105.

Cingular
$79.99 1350 anytime minutes ($30 more for 150 minutes less)
$49.99 BES Unlimited
$20 unlimited txt (i believe)

$150 BEFORE TAX

Please tell me where my math and numbers are wrong?

archer6
03-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Please tell me where my math and numbers are wrong?

You are absolutely correct, when I see your numbers, I agree.

Shhhh...... don't tell anyone.

I didn't realize I was getting such a good deal.

You made my day!

Thanks!

Oh yeah.... and Thanks Cingular!

greggebhardt
03-28-2007, 05:07 AM
Just make sure you got coverage. T-Mo maps indicated I had excellent coverage at both my house and office. So I fall for it and have maybe 1 bar at both. Have to go outside to make or receive calls. Know there is something going on when every time I go outside I get 10 emails!

A Blackberry without coverage is an ugly thing! No one single dropped call in over a year with Cingular. I will pay extra for coverage!

nike30
03-28-2007, 08:32 AM
I've been on the T-Mo 1000 Blackberry 'Minutes and Mail' plan for nearly 3 years now.

$59.99
1000 anytime minutes
Unlimited SMS
Unlimited Data (BIS)

$67/mo after taxes - absolutely love it.

takeshi
03-28-2007, 08:49 AM
XM seals the deal. I was going to try to hold on to my 8800 and wait for the 9xxx. But with XM on the 8300, my 8800 will be on eBay sooner than I thought. Bawlin.
You can get XM on the 8800.

I totally agree. I have almost exactly the same TMO plan but have added two family phones and my bill comes to only $150-ish. Plus all the free calls between t-mobile users and unlimited data. Cingular has nothing close. And I usually get a better signal from TMO in my home area.
You're lucky. I live in one of the largest 4 cities in the US and TMO has some major holes in coverage in the city. Cingular doesn't... TMO was definitely cheaper but I couldn't even place or receive calls at my home so I'm on Cingular.

Just make sure you got coverage. T-Mo maps indicated I had excellent coverage at both my house and office. So I fall for it and have maybe 1 bar at both. Have to go outside to make or receive calls. Know there is something going on when every time I go outside I get 10 emails!

The coverage maps are completely worthless (and whether they're street level or not is irrelevant). They'll show you the coverage you should have but there are so many factors in the real world that can affect coverage that the maps don't account for. You really have to make sure to check real world coverage during the trial period with a new carrier.

IanHummel
03-28-2007, 10:49 AM
My coverage is fine where I'm at. Sure I have a dropped call here and there, but it seems to be more when I'm on the phone and the phone gets hit with a very large data surge (only happens maybe once every couple weeks). To me, paying $60 more a month or $720 more a year on my cell phone to not drop 2-3 calls a month just isn't worth it.

IanHummel
03-28-2007, 10:54 AM
I've been on the T-Mo 1000 Blackberry 'Minutes and Mail' plan for nearly 3 years now.

$59.99
1000 anytime minutes
Unlimited SMS
Unlimited Data (BIS)

$67/mo after taxes - absolutely love it.

Do the 'minutes and mail' plans include n/w minutes and BES?

SchmutzBerry
03-28-2007, 10:58 AM
This is just a program and a service - no reason it wouldn't work with the 8800 and the 8100. The launch might be planned to coincide with the launch of course of the 8300.
but a question to Canadians. Assuming, this device doesn't have a an actual digital radio receiver and is streaming, is there any streaming we can use? we have no unlimited data plans. so, even with the max 200 mb plan (which Mark initiated - where is he now?) , a day of listening, would cost you, maybe 1000 dollars in data usage?

armandov99
03-28-2007, 11:32 AM
The T-mobile Minutes and Mail plans do not include N/W minutes, and the BES is a $10 upgrade (total $69.99 for 1000 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited BES email, and unlimited text). If you want N/W minutes it might be possible to add them, but I don't know since 1000 anytime works fine for me.

T-Mobile's M&M plans are unbeatable. Similar plans (though, admittedly, with N/W minutes) cost around $100 on either Sprint or Cingular. You have to buy a $39.99 voice plan and add unlimited BES Blackberry data/e-mail for what, $45-50 (I think you save $10 for BIS only), and then add a text messaging plan on top of that $85-$90 bill.

Anyone who thinks T-Mobile is remotely close to costing as much as other carriers for BB/voice plan combos hasn't done their homework. They are by far the best deal.

ryangoo
03-28-2007, 11:43 AM
The T-mobile Minutes and Mail plans do not include N/W minutes, and the BES is a $10 upgrade (total $69.99 for 1000 minutes, unlimited data, unlimited BES email, and unlimited text). If you want N/W minutes it might be possible to add them, but I don't know since 1000 anytime works fine for me.

T-Mobile's M&M plans are unbeatable. Similar plans (though, admittedly, with N/W minutes) cost around $100 on either Sprint or Cingular. You have to buy a $39.99 voice plan and add unlimited BES Blackberry data/e-mail for what, $45-50 (I think you save $10 for BIS only), and then add a text messaging plan on top of that $85-$90 bill.

Anyone who thinks T-Mobile is remotely close to costing as much as other carriers for BB/voice plan combos hasn't done their homework. They are by far the best deal.

you can't add NW minutes to that plan. Won't let you. I tried it, and tried adding mobile to mobile, but since it wouldn't work i stick to the 600 min, unlimited NW,unlimited tmo-tmo, bis, and 400 txt for about 87 after taxes.

ezrunner
03-28-2007, 12:11 PM
I pay 25.00 for 1500 minutes
I pay 15.00 for BIS,unlmtdBB and Unlmtd text

Toatal bill 46.00 give or take a few pennies!!!

TMO

I am on a Very old Dealer plan I LOVE IT

nike30
03-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Do the 'minutes and mail' plans include n/w minutes and BES?

Unfortunately Ian - there is no way to add on unlimited n/w minutes the the 'minutes and mail' packages. You either have to enroll in the 1000 anytime bucket (as I have) or the 1500 bucket plan. - again, no add on minutes are possible.

My plan is a BIS plan - But yes there are BES 'minutes and mail' plans available.

BES 1000 minutes and mail - $69+taxes
BES 1500 minutes and mail - $89+taxes

nike30
03-28-2007, 01:21 PM
I pay 25.00 for 1500 minutes
I pay 15.00 for BIS,unlmtdBB and Unlmtd text

Toatal bill 46.00 give or take a few pennies!!!

TMO

I am on a Very old Dealer plan I LOVE IT

I envy u...u lucky mofo *chuckle*

I8UB4
03-28-2007, 03:04 PM
My monthly plan on T-Mobile is substantially cheaper than the same on Cingular, but more importantly, I travel internationally a lot, and T-Mobile's international rates are MUCH cheaper than Cingular's. Probably about half the price.

anthonymoody
03-28-2007, 04:14 PM
I pay $100/mo for 5000 minutes, an old rate plan TMo no longer offers. No way I'll ever give it up. Customer service is top notch, the network is plenty broad for my needs, int'l and data rates are cheaper than the competition too (as data should be given the slower speeds).

I love TMo and am looking forward to swapping my 8700 for an 8320 :)

TM

archer6
03-28-2007, 04:42 PM
The coverage maps are completely worthless (and whether they're street level or not is irrelevant). They'll show you the coverage you should have but there are so many factors in the real world that can affect coverage that the maps don't account for. You really have to make sure to check real world coverage during the trial period with a new carrier.

You are absolutely 100% correct, there is NO substitute for real world testing to see if there is coverage in the areas you need it.

archer6
03-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I travel internationally for business and pleasure frequently. What I've enjoyed about Cingular is it always works. I have never been without coverage.

When I pack for a long trip I bring a few of my favorite phones. Then once I've arrived there I have some nice choices of phones to use. I have nothing to worry about, I always have coverage.

Peace of mind, and a good phone..... Priceless.....:smile:

IanHummel
03-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Unfortunately Ian - there is no way to add on unlimited n/w minutes the the 'minutes and mail' packages. You either have to enroll in the 1000 anytime bucket (as I have) or the 1500 bucket plan. - again, no add on minutes are possible.

My plan is a BIS plan - But yes there are BES 'minutes and mail' plans available.

BES 1000 minutes and mail - $69+taxes
BES 1500 minutes and mail - $89+taxes

Then essentially what I have is cheaper than the BES plan. I broke it down a few posts up.