PDA

View Full Version : Default Password timeout issue.

Jugnutts
03-27-2007, 09:00 AM
I am having issues with the IT policy on our BES. We have the Maximum Security timeout set to 15 min.

the problem is that when the IT policy is applied to a users device the default value is 2 min and we would like to change it to something like 10 min for the default value but with the option to change it to either the 2, 5, 10, or 15 min timeout.

I have tried setting the "Set Password Timeout" to 10 min but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Am i missing something?

Andi
03-27-2007, 09:49 AM
I think if it has already had a security password and the time out via the policy is longer than what it is currently set to the change has to be made on the device. We lengthened out security policy timeout and no one got the change just the ability to make the change...does that make any sense?

Jugnutts
03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Umm... I'm not sure what you are saying :)

Andi
03-27-2007, 10:05 AM
For example...

The IT polciy required a password with a timeout of 2 minutes

Policy was changed to allow timeout of 60 minutes

Users who had the policy with the 2 minute timeout will not get a change to the timeout set on the BB - it is still set to 2 minutes

BUT when they go to Options/security/general settings/security timeout - they are now allowed to change the timeout to anything from 2 minutes to 60 mintues

Jugnutts
03-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks Andi,

I understand what you are saying.

thanks for the assistance.

Andi
03-27-2007, 11:00 AM
(y)

slimbim
03-27-2007, 03:22 PM
For example...

The IT polciy required a password with a timeout of 2 minutes

Policy was changed to allow timeout of 60 minutes

Users who had the policy with the 2 minute timeout will not get a change to the timeout set on the BB - it is still set to 2 minutes

BUT when they go to Options/security/general settings/security timeout - they are now allowed to change the timeout to anything from 2 minutes to 60 mintues

So if a user is added to the server and activated after the allowed timeout was now changed to 60 minutes, then will it default to 60 minutes for these new users?

Andi
03-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Yep

silver_2000
03-27-2007, 05:35 PM
So if a user is added to the server and activated after the allowed timeout was now changed to 60 minutes, then will it default to 60 minutes for these new users?
In my experience
The allowed timeout doesn't change the default on the device

Ekrimmer
03-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Yep

Nope. That policy change will simply allow the user to up the default. I suspect if it was 60 and you change it to 30 that the device would change.

Similarly - when users leave the firm I send the default policy out which does not require a password. It does not remove the password, just removes the requirement to have one. The user can now choose to remove it.