PDA

View Full Version : BlackBerry Desktop Manager Disappears!

TexasDudeUSA
03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
It's so annoying. Whenever I open the Desktop Manager to synch with my blackberry, it's like those dos programs when opening them in Windows, they open up and you see them for a split second and then they disappear instantly! I've tried compatability mode and that hasn't worked. By the way I'm runnning Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit.

NJBlackBerry
03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Are you running the very latest version of Desktop Manager? 4.2 SP1?

TexasDudeUSA
03-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes. I also uninstalled it and tried different versions and those didn't work either.

PCW
03-29-2007, 11:30 PM
Same thing happens on my LAN workstation. I think the system admin has neutered my ability to load BB desktop mgr. I installed 4.2 today, but when I click on the icon, it flashes on the screen for a sec, then nothing.

bobelliottjr
03-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Do you have and an email account set up on your PC, if not this will happen you start the Desktop Manager.

Andi
03-30-2007, 12:21 PM
I have desktop manager installed on a PC I use for setting up loaner blackberrys for users. There is no mail profile on the machine when I first log in - desktop manager sits and waits telling me there is no mail profile - it does not disappear.

The only time I saw it disappear after installation - clicked to open desktop manager, it would flash and poof be gone. Finally found the problem was with Windows installer

kd78
04-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Do you have and an email account set up on your PC, if not this will happen you start the Desktop Manager.

That is not true. It has nothing to do with having an email account setup on your computer. This seems like a compatability problem with desktop manager and vista.

Spankypoo
04-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Same thing happened to me (XP/4.2). 'We hate Windows, because Windows first hated us,' to somewhat misquote.

amnac
04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
I had the same problem for months. I just fixed mine right now. It's easy but I can't figure out why. Anyhow, when you're installing desktop manager, rename the name of the blackberry folder from "blackberry" to "blackberry1" or something. So the installation folder should say something like "c:/program files/research in motion/blackberry1". And once it's done it will work. I don't know why this resolves that issue but I noticed that when I went into regedit everytime after installing, my vista was thinking I was running desktop manager 3.1. I hope this helps.

aguden
05-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I have installed 4.2.1 on both my Vista laptop - works fine and my XP sp2 PC - works as described above. The hour glass appears for a few seconds and then that's it. I tried to install it in the directory 'blackberry1' and it is the same as before. Any other ideas?

leeca
05-18-2007, 01:22 PM
I have seen this happen before but with two different things causing the problem.

1) Corrupted windows user profile. Two test create another user ID login with it on windows XP and try to run the desktop manager, if it works you likely have a corrupted windows user profile. To fix rename the user profile folder in my documents and settings. Remove and re add the users account and login. This will create a new user profile; all the data from the old profile .cookies, my documents, desktop will need to be copied back to the new profile.(Do not copy the ntuser.dat as that is the file that caused the problem and was replaced by making the new profile)

2) MacAfee antivirus. Un install MacAfee and re install the desktop manager re install MacAfee antivirus.

These have worked for me.

HTH ;-)

veryberry7
09-28-2007, 09:32 PM
I had the same problem with 4.2.2 with Windows Vista

RIM advised me to uninstall the current version and download 4.2.1.8 Desktop manager software.

That worked great!

Have your service provider transfer you to RIM so it doesn't cost you anything when troubleshooting this with RIM.

Thanks

shodson
10-08-2007, 01:35 AM
4.2.1.8? Has anybody else confirmed that this fixes the problem? I hate to roll back to an older version, I would always hope the newest version to always work better. I'm running 4.2.2.12 and I'm still getting the disappearing window on Vista on my Dell E1505 notebook.

dwc
10-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I tried installing 4.2.2 from the cd that came with my 8320 onto my wife's laptop which has vista basic. The installer threw an error when trying to register a DLL for Lotus Notes. I told it to ignore because I don't use Notes. Unfortunately this has made me unable to go into the "configure" section under synch. It throws an unknown error and theres nothing I can do.

Since then I dl'ed the 4.2.2 (i.e. 4.2 sp2) from the web and am reinstalling. If this borks I will try 4.2.1.8