PDA

View Full Version : VISTA and phone as modem

det293
03-29-2007, 11:27 PM
I hope this is the right spot for this. I just bought my 8703e today, which is a Sprint carrier phone. I bought it for emails and the phone as modem. I got it home, tried to install the software on my new laptop. Come to find out it is not VISTA compatable. Sprint has no idea when it will be either. Does anybody have a fix for this? I really like the BB, but really need it to be able to use a teather. Any suggestions?

I have done some searching around here, tons of information, glad I found this site!

I am very uniformed about the BB's. Is there a way to save things, like pdf's?

garyd9
03-30-2007, 07:31 PM
go to www -dot- blackberry -dot- com (I'm too new to post a proper URL) and try to find the latest version of the desktop manager software. Uninstall whatever Sprint gave you and install the new version from the BB site. (4.2.1 or something like that.) It's vista compatible and PAM works like a charm under Vista.

netwiz01
03-31-2007, 01:09 AM
I hope this is the right spot for this. I just bought my 8703e today, which is a Sprint carrier phone. I bought it for emails and the phone as modem. I got it home, tried to install the software on my new laptop. Come to find out it is not VISTA compatable. Sprint has no idea when it will be either. Does anybody have a fix for this? I really like the BB, but really need it to be able to use a teather. Any suggestions?

I have done some searching around here, tons of information, glad I found this site!

I am very uniformed about the BB's. Is there a way to save things, like pdf's?

Install a dialup Internet connection on Vista. Make sure you have desktop manager 4.2. loaded on your PC or Laptop. The desktop manager must be running with the BB plugged in for the tether modem to work.

det293
04-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Wont I need a password or something to get through the sprint system? I have the bb plan which includes unlimited internet and pam. Do I need to do anything once I get a dial up set up?

Dubdub
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM
You need to download and install desktop manager 4.2. That works with Vista. You can get it on the RIM website.

You also need to make sure your dataplan allows tethering. If not, you could in for some very high data charges.

LunkHead
04-02-2007, 08:20 PM
OR dump Vista... Sorry, blame my avatar! :razz:

southwestcomm
04-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Sprint, like all the carriers, is working to release new drivers for all devices to make them Vista compatible. Blame MS for not releasing the proper code to hardware and software manufacturers sooner....

det293
04-04-2007, 12:02 PM
I downloaded the new desktop manager, and it works great. I tried to set up a dial up but it asks for a password and number. I am set up for pam, have unlimited access to internet. It sounds as though sprint needs to be vista compatable for all this to make the connection.

Is there any other way to get this running?

southwestcomm
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
You still need to either use Sprint's Connection Manager or utilize Windows for the connection. The Desktop Manager software can not be used for the modem function.

yellowmenace
05-08-2007, 08:57 AM
I installed the latest BB Desktop manager from Rim's website here (https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22)
Download the latest Desktop Manager.
In XP go in to Control Panel. Select Network Connections.
Select the New Connection Wizard.
Network Connection type : "connect to the internet".
Getting Ready : "Set up my connection manually"
Internet Connection : "Connect using a dial-up modem"
Connection Name : I put "Sprint PAM"
Phone Number to Dial : "#777"
Internet Account Information : Leave all blank.
Now you're all done.

Now your BB is like any other modem in Windows.

Hope this helps.

diane h
05-09-2007, 09:59 AM
You also need to download the connection manager from sprint for xp. I did this yesterday and it works !!!