PDA

View Full Version : About to switch from Palm to BB...

SpeakerOfMind
04-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Okay, even though I had to say I own a BB to join this forum (odd really) I'm about to buy one... but have some questions.
1. The new keyboards (QWERTY with combined-letter keys)... do you have to hit keys twice to get the second letter on the key? Or does it really just figure out what word you're using? Have most people found this to be efficient?

2. I use "Vindigo" on my Palm device... I know there's no BB equivalent... but is there some easy to use standalone BB program that tells you Movie and restaurant info?

3. My current company (Cingular) charges a ton ($45 above plan) to add unlimited BB service. Which service out there has the best plans with unlimited Nights and weekends and maybe mobile to mobile?

Well... I hope people aren't going to ignore me as a non-owner... but I'm almost one of you, I swear! :)

coreyg510
04-24-2005, 01:45 PM
2. there is a couple of free apps. that will allow you to find info
3. I prefer Cingular it is a little expensive for the bb email service, but i make it up in mobile to mobile and rollover minutes.

As for #1. I have the 7290 with the qwert keyboard, but no comibined letters. They have combined numbers and symbols with the letters, as with that, all you have to do is hit the alt key and the letter/symbol key you desire

SpeakerOfMind
04-24-2005, 01:55 PM
2. there is a couple of free apps. that will allow you to find info
3. I prefer Cingular it is a little expensive for the bb email service, but i make it up in mobile to mobile and rollover minutes.

As for #1. I have the 7290 with the qwert keyboard, but no comibined letters. They have combined numbers and symbols with the letters, as with that, all you have to do is hit the alt key and the letter/symbol key you desire

Thanks Corey,

Happen to know the name of these free apps?

mrogers
04-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Speaker--

1. As far as the keyboards on the 7100 series, I haven't used one for more than a few minutes but yes, it uses a dictionary to guess what word you're typing, and it seems quite good. You do not have to press the keys twice.

2. If you described more of what you used Vindigo for, maybe someone could name a similar BlackBerry app. I use Berry411 to get phone numbers, addresses, and maps for movie theaters, restaurants, and any other business. But if you want movie times and stuff like that, I think it would be best to use the browser to access mobile entertainment web sites.

3. I agree that Cingular is probably the best overall deal with their huge coverage, rollover minutes, and unlimited mobile to mobile to the largest customer base in the country.

aristobrat
04-24-2005, 04:33 PM
3. My current company (Cingular) charges a ton ($45 above plan) to add unlimited BB service. Which service out there has the best plans with unlimited Nights and weekends and maybe mobile to mobile?
T-Mobile is the least expensive for both voice and data. Their network doesn't have as many rural locations as Cingular, so if you're interested in them, check their coverage map. BTW, they've updated their Personal Coverage Check. Hit http://compass.t-mobile.com, type in an address and it'll show you a realistic map of their coverage. If you are considering Verizon, remember that their data network is much smaller than their voice network.

Unlimited BB data on T-Mobile is either $19.99/mo or $29.99/mo (depending if you want the Web Connect or the BES Enterprise plan).

T-Mobile voice plans vary, but M2M is an extra $7.99/mo (unless you get a family plan). Cingular includes M2M for free with most of its plans.

(edited for spelling)

Mark Rejhon
04-25-2005, 12:31 AM
Consider the 7290 instead if you use plan your device for lots of data and you don't like the idea of the 7100-series keyboard. It's a reasonably decent phone, if you use data more.

Consider the 7100 series, if you like a good phone that happens to have a keyboard vastly superior to T9 and 10-digit keypads. It's a reasonably decent data device, if you use the phone more.

vinniet
04-25-2005, 08:13 AM
It all depends ... in NYC the only carrier that is any good is Verizon Wireless. There data plan price is outrageous. So I use T-Mobile with 7230 for email only and have my phone with Verizon. I know its two devices but I have a hard time putting the BB to my head and talking, it looks like I am holding a calculator.

TMO plan is as low at $30 for unlimited email.

As far as the Palm, I have one also. You can not match the shear number of programs that are out for the Palm and many good ones are free. The RIM is very limited in that regard. PIM function is also limited on the RIM. Any modern Palm also have much larger screen, resolution, power, and colors then any RIM device. The Palm is much more flexible what can be done with it.

Hey those are my 2 cents.

SpeakerOfMind
04-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Vinnie,
I was afraid someone would say exactly what you did. I'm kind of on the fence... might go for a Treo... but love the "live" aspect of the BB. Decisions decisions. Thanks for your input.

aristobrat
04-25-2005, 11:04 AM
If you do go with the Treo, there's always hope that RIM will release the BlackBerry Connect software for it. Doesn't appear to do anything other than give you the "live" aspect of BlackBerry email.