PDA

View Full Version : is this blackberry right for me?

eddively
04-24-2005, 03:00 PM
since my girlfriend has become more and more angry at my disorganization, any my nokia6600 has weak PIM..my first thought was a blackberry.
the last RIM i ever touched was before the sidekick...the RIM was popular through wyndtell for the Deaf population...then I got a Sidekick and realized I use it too much for phone...so i got a verizon...then now my nokia.
I have a mac, and realized you can sync w/ pocketmac--which rocks.
but..my question is...is this the right smartphone for me..
i want email...internet...ssh...and good PIM
BTW- if you use pocketday to run your PIM..will that sync over to your computer or do u have to use the stock PIM for the sync to work?
I would also love to do my notes etc..from school on a BT keyboard..but i have learned about RIM's hesitancy to do the open BT tech...understandable..but frustrating.
I don't do games, but I would like..possibly...a text editor that is local...it seems they all require some kind of server side for them...i will not be on a BES as its my phone..and im 20.. ;)
is there local solutions or a way to do the office-type apps without doing the full blown server stuff?
i hope this all makes sense...
i am leaning towards the 7100t...seems great...but i dont want to get into something that isn't for me.

Stinsonddog
04-24-2005, 03:35 PM
since my girlfriend has become more and more angry at my disorganization, any my nokia6600 has weak PIM..my first thought was a blackberry.

New girlfriend or new blackberry, or both or none or one, lot's of decisions

the last RIM i ever touched was before the sidekick...the RIM was popular through wyndtell for the Deaf population...then I got a Sidekick and realized I use it too much for phone...so i got a verizon...then now my nokia.
I have a mac, and realized you can sync w/ pocketmac--which rocks.
but..my question is...is this the right smartphone for me..
i want email...internet...ssh...and good PIM

Lots of corporate users like myself use it just for the email and PIM. Is it the best PIM, not but it's solid. Not as many features as datebk5 for the Palm, but I have gotten used to workarounds.

BTW- if you use pocketday to run your PIM..will that sync over to your computer or do u have to use the stock PIM for the sync to work?

I would also love to do my notes etc..from school on a BT keyboard..but i have learned about RIM's hesitancy to do the open BT tech...understandable..but frustrating.

Not going to happen soon.

I don't do games, but I would like..possibly...a text editor that is local...it seems they all require some kind of server side for them...i will not be on a BES as its my phone..and im 20.. ;)

I believe eoffice allows local use of Word, so check out www.dynoplex.com

is there local solutions or a way to do the office-type apps without doing the full blown server stuff?
i hope this all makes sense...

i am leaning towards the 7100t...seems great...but i dont want to get into something that isn't for me.

7100t has the most cramped keyboard so check it out first.

eddively
04-24-2005, 04:00 PM
yeah, i am used to cramp keyboards...text messaging on samsong a530 and nokia 6600 using predictive text messaging...but this is obviously a much more extensive messaging system than T9 system..so thats great.

i like the 7100t because of the form factor..and price :)
i'm thinking about using now up to date/contact syncing...

eddively
04-24-2005, 06:08 PM
is the 7100t a good blackberry to start out with? is there a better one from what you can see I will be using it for?

sempai
04-25-2005, 06:54 AM
If you ask me, moving from a handset like the 6600 to a 7100t is the least culture shock.

The 6600 has a lot more software available, and like every Symbian device, better support in the user community, but the BlackBerry does email and messaging much better. So you'll lose some Cool Things about the 6600 (such as Bluetooth sync, using it as a remote, doing proximity-based things with it, etc,) but gain insanely great messaging.

aristobrat
04-25-2005, 07:58 AM
I agree w/ sempai.

This is how BlackBerry rates for me.

10 = email/messaging capabilities
9 = overall device build quality / system stability
7 = PIM features
7 = phone features
5 = bluetooth (as compared to other smart/PDA phones)
5 = inexpensive/shareware software (although this is getting better)
0 = multimedia (sound, video, MMS, etc)

eddively
04-25-2005, 09:21 AM
yeah... that makes sense.
sucks how much they charge you for phones after you already have an account wtih t-mobile...it goes for 450?!!? might have to ebay for it...its 1/2 as much.

did you guys happen to know if pocketday PIM syncs when you sync w/ your computer or do you have to only use the normal PIM software if you want to sync it w/ a computer?

aristobrat
04-25-2005, 10:00 AM
FWIW, T-Mobile has a "any phone every 12" phone upgrade program.

With that, the 7100t is $199.99 with a 1yr contract extension, or $299.99 without any extension.

You can see what you're eligible for on http://my.t-mobile.com. Login, click on Phones and Accessories and look for the Handset Upgrade link.

eddively
04-25-2005, 10:55 AM
i see...i guess i just need to wait the extra month to save...a lot of money...
although they are the same price in on ebay...no contract extension either.
decisions decisions