PDA

View Full Version : Tether or keep broadband connection?

ironike
04-01-2007, 09:49 PM
First post here. Be merciful if this question has been answered in another thread. I have used the search button.

I opened a second line on my sprint account when activating the blackberry 8703e service. I will definitely upgrade to 88XX when it comes out on sprint (hopefully this summer), which would leave me with an 8703e to deactivate or keep going. Would it make sense to keep paying for the data plan, tether it to my laptop, and cancel my comcast service? I only use web for checking news and information, sports scores, etc., so no serious bandwidth usage. Is the tethered connection reliable and fast enough to use on a semi-daily basis as the main home connection, if the usage is light?

bremere
04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Personally, I think that the connection speed of EVDO is good enough for a home connection. As long as you have a good strong signal where your home computer is located you should be fine.
Just my 0.02

-emb

drgoodtymes
04-01-2007, 11:28 PM
EVDO speeds are great, as long as your not doing alot of uploading or files transfers and as bremere said, you have good signal, its not a bad thing.

I use my EVDO aircard as a backup for when my Cable Modem goes out.

mahoy78spyder
04-04-2007, 11:21 AM
I tethered my VZW 8703e and got decent speeds from it. It connected at 240K but actual upload speed testing showed 120K but again, that's not bad considering I live in podunk Illinois in the middle of the country were their Broadband/VCAST coverage doesn't even reach.

Hope this helps.....

Dubdub
04-04-2007, 02:23 PM
IMHO, no cell connection is going to beat a broadband connection on a PC. The speed is actually dependent upon the connection itself, the device processor and available memory. No handheld has a lot of available memory or a fast processor. I also use my Verizon Data Card as a backup for my cable Internet connection.

Judging from how you say you use the web at home, then the tethered connection might be acceptable. Just make sure you have a tethering plan with your carrier so you don't get hit with extra (high) data charges.

ironike
04-04-2007, 06:06 PM
My concern is that the tethered connection be consistently up at a speed that is tolerable. I'm wondering, what is the difference in speed you experience when on your regular broadband connection as opposed to your tethered modem connection?

Would it be cost effective to pay for another $40 Bberry data plan in addition to the one I am currently on, and drop the Comcast broadband which comes in at around $50? I will only have had the 8703e for about 4 months if I upgrade this summer/fall, and will have a line that I would have to pay a cancellation fee on, so I'm thinking just put the BB on that line and problem solved. Or, would I make out better trying to sell the 8703e and keep Comcast? If I sold the 8703e I would just leave the 2nd line active with the 3 yr old LG phone that is currently on it,

jwolf7722
04-04-2007, 06:49 PM
I tether with mine and did away with road runner. My speeds are great plus it saves me some money. Wish I had Rev A connection cause im in that coverage area. I can still download 4-5 songs in less than 10min.