PDA

View Full Version : MicroSD Card & Security.

Jagga
04-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Ok Everyone this is something I've searched quite extensively on and ONLY found 1 thread (http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8100-series-discussion/71018-encrypted-jpgs-sd-card-aaaargh.html?highlight=Memory+Card+Encryption ) highlighting ANYTHING specific on how it affects a user.

I personally had a scare my first week using an MicroSD card. I had quite a few pictures with a great view from my friends Condo. Saving pictures from the 8100 to the MicroSD card causes the BB unit to append the ".jpg.rem" pyseudo extension to each file. Thus I could send to his Samsung D900 but his phone could NOT display the photo - it recognized the file without the ".rem" extension.

NOTE: I'm not on a BES (Corporate/Hosted) just BIS.

I thought I could remove my MicroSD and pop it into his phone since its the same format.

Here are my 8100's settings:
Media Card Support: On
Encryption Mode: Device
Encrypt Media Files: No
Mass Storage Mode Support: ON (since then I've turned this off)
Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: YES (Turned off since then).

Now we put the media card BACK into my pearl and we got the classic error to the effect something like "A media card has been inserted & not recognized"

I FREAKED Out Panicking, but since I was half tired, I left it alone until I went back home. After trying to connect to he USB on WinXP (SP2) the BBDM Media Manager didn't recognize the card due to the Mass Storage mode setting. I thought close out BBDM and double click on Removable Memory - to which on the Pearl screen it informs me an app is trying to access the card "Allow" I click yes & enter my Pearl's PW. This comes up BLANK! Sweat perculates, goose bumps begin to show.

My resolution, changed my Pearl's pw. I removed battery then back in and BINGO all is saved, whew! I NOW let Media Manager do the file tranfering.

Which brings me to my question. What exactly does the following do - taken from the public tech site at RIM.

BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11663&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=16718095&stateId=1%200%2016702680)

How does these settings affect the average user in regards to moving media files (supported) - Copying files - forwarding (attachments)? Do these settings drastically change when on BIS compared to BES with IT Policy's?

PS I haven't found any settings on the BES but I LOW level access.