PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to run Java Apps on a RIM 957

pierre626
04-25-2005, 06:51 AM
Hi

Is it possible to run java apps on a RIM 957.I assume the 5790 is the same handheld but with a java enabled OS, so if this is correct, is there a version for the 957,

finch
04-25-2005, 07:14 AM
Unfortunately not. If your looking for a Java data/page BB you will have to go with the 5790, all of the 85x and 95x devices are C++ enabled devices.

NJBlackBerry
04-25-2005, 07:14 AM
The 957 is a C++ device. No java application support. The 5790 is the Java version for Mobitext networks, designed as a replacement for the 957.

pierre626
04-25-2005, 09:57 AM
Ah well maybe i'll buy a 5790

NJBlackBerry
04-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Your location says UK. Does the 5790 work in the UK (answer: no)...

brillig
06-03-2005, 06:14 AM
Unfortunately not. If your looking for a Java data/page BB you will have to go with the 5790, all of the 85x and 95x devices are C++ enabled devices.

I want a Java enabled BB, but find your answer above confusing. Are you saying that the 5790 is the only Java enabled model? Or that the 85x and 95x devices are the only ones that are NOT Java enabled (and that all later versions after the 957 ARE Java enabled)?

Thanks,
Brillig

NJBlackBerry
06-03-2005, 06:20 AM
The 5790 is a Java version of the 957. Data only. No voice. Runs on a the Mobitext network in North America only.

The second part of the question "(Or that the 85x and 95x devices are the only ones that are NOT Java enabled (and that all later versions after the 957 ARE Java enabled)?" is accurate.

brillig
06-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Thank you for the response, I appreciate it.

And since some here seem a tad obsessed with posters searching before they ask a question, I did so. I searched under java enabled, java blackberry and just plain java. I did not find any threads that seemed to relate to my question except for the one I posted under. However, I surely did search long and hard before getting up my nerve to actually ask a question and risk a "why didn't you search first" reply.

NJBlackBerry
06-03-2005, 07:43 AM
That is my auto signature. Since perhaps 75% of the questions I ansewr I've already answered in the past, I remind people that they may want to consider doing a search.

BTW - all of this information comes straight from the BlackBerry web site at http://www.blackberry.com/compare/

<my autosignature follows>
|
V

brillig
06-03-2005, 02:38 PM
OK, I see now it was an autosignatue and not directed at my post specifically. :)

I did go to the BB website and do a compare during my quest for knowledge, but I am not that tech savvy, and if something indicating which devices are java enabled was listed, it must have been described in terms I was unable to recognize. I have been using a 950 quite contentedly for six years (no laughing and pointing please), and until the track wheel broke yesterday and I was looking online for a replacement unit, I had no clue that BB had made such amazing advances. Now I am trying to decide which of the newer models is right for me. They are all quite a bit larger, so I will miss the tiny size of my 950, but hopefully the trade off for all the new features is worth it.

Regarding my Java question, there is one website I visit regularly which requires Java to interact with. I am hoping that perhaps one of the newer models would enable me to actually use that site with my BB, but am concerned about data transfer speeds. Reading threads here, many posters seem to think that the speeds for internet use are quite slow on a BB. My target site is easily accessible with a 56k modem. Can anyone give me an indication of how much slower access with a BB would be in comparison? Is the wireless service provider a big factor (it appears it is, but I found all the references to different "systems" fairly confusing)? I am in the Seattle area.

NJBlackBerry
06-03-2005, 02:49 PM
The carrier does matter, as does the model of the BlackBerry. The GSM/GPRS models are slow; they run around 30-40k (about dial up speed). The CDMA models (Verizon/Sprint) will run around 80-90k. Next generation networks (EDGE, EVDO) are much faster, but there are no BlackBerrys TODAY (please, no one tell me about any upgrades that you heard about from your cousin who knows someone at Verizon who told the dog that the 7250 blah blah blah)that can take advantage of any of the faster wireless networks.

The newer BlackBerrys, with v4.0, support Javascript. I doubt very much if they can run "Java" web sites, since that is a client side program that is doing the interpretation. And the BB doesn't have that.

No autosignature :-)

udontknowjack
06-03-2005, 02:55 PM
NJ, I my brother's friend's sister's cousin's best friend's dog's owner's mother's siter's husband said once that the 7250 will have evdo on May 32nd. I know that is the truth and will happen because they said so.

Sorry, just had to do it!!!

NJBlackBerry
06-03-2005, 02:56 PM
No fair. My birthday was the 31st and they promised to have 3G ready by then.

brillig
06-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Hmmm. Well that sounds like good news and maybe bad news. On the one hand, your answer helps me narrow down which BB model and carrier would best suit me. On the other hand, being able to access that one web site is quite important to me. The java part of the website is text only, no graphics. Does that make a differnce? (I am not sure if that makes it Javascript or not). How can I tell if the site uses a "client side program"? As I mentioned, I'm not that tech savvy, but I am trying :smile:

Also, are you saying that any BB OS version 4.0 or higher will support Javascript? Are there other advantages to the later versions of the BB OS?

NJBlackBerry
06-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes, there are advantages to 4.0; Javascript is at the top of the list. Wireless PIM features, if and only if you have BES 4.0 are also new.

brillig
06-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Being able to access that one web site that uses Java is quite important to me in choosing the correct handheld. The java part of the website is text only, no graphics. Does that mean it is Javascript and thus WILL run on (some models) of BB?

How can I (a non tech person) tell if the site uses Javascript? How can I tell if the site uses a "client side program"? Thanks for the help :smile: