PDA

View Full Version : java

upsizin
04-05-2007, 01:51 PM
is there a way to load java onto the bb?

southwestcomm
04-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Java is the OS format. What are you trying to do?

is there a way to load java onto the bb?

upsizin
04-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Java is the OS format. What are you trying to do?
watch vids on bb

darkstar7
04-06-2007, 06:04 AM
Check your browser options once inside the browser, I beleive under general options there is an option to enable Java support, which is turned off by default.

upsizin
04-06-2007, 07:53 AM
enabled it in the browser then:

try to watch videos on say... youtube and it says either I don't have java or my version is too old... so I go to try and download a new version and it says that there isn't one for BB

darkstar7
04-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Correct and as far as I know youtube.com actually uses a version of flash if I'm not mistaken........

littleseve
04-06-2007, 03:29 PM
yeah thats what i was looking for as well is Flash. I can't find anything that works though. Adobe does have a Flashlite for mobile phones, but i was able to get it working.

pronerd
04-06-2007, 08:35 PM
>>>try to watch videos on say... youtube

Ahh. Its not java thats your problem it is JavaScript. You may not be able to get around this. They are probably doing some sort of browser verification, and the BB browser is not on the approved list.

pronerd
04-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Its not java thats your problem it is JavaScript.

I have been looking into upgrading the software on my BB. The documentation mentions lots of improvements for JavaScript support in 4.2 so you may want to upgrade if you need additional JS support

try to watch videos on say... youtube

Something else to be aware of is that the carriers are all starting to get really strict about enforcing the limits in the data plans. Even the "Unlimited" plans are enfact not unlimited. I just found that Verizion just lowered the limits on their "Unlimited" data plan from 10GB per month to 5GB. It would not be at all hard to blow though that looking at videos and flash content.

To make it even better their resolution to going over the limits on the "Unlimited" plan is to just cancel your account outright, with no warning. So you then have to go buy a new device with another carrier, and you lose your number.

upsizin
04-08-2007, 11:47 AM
wtf? why offer it as unlimited then? why not offer it as 10g or 5g of service?

littleseve
04-09-2007, 01:16 PM
thats way weird. I'd still like to find something that would work with it though. Especially so i could stream internet music off myspace and such.

penguin3107
04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
wtf? why offer it as unlimited then? why not offer it as 10g or 5g of service?

Marketing 101.
Which sounds better to you? $44.95 for unlimited service, or $44.95 for 5GB of bandwidth?
Always read the fine print. It's up to the consumer to know what they are paying for.