PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the 8800 without Screen Protector

techie34290
04-06-2007, 08:24 PM
I was thinking about using my 8800 without the screen protector. I've had my Palm Treo and 8700g for the last year and they have been working fine with little to no scratces on the displays.

The issue I have is that I don't like the gaudy leather protectors that cover the screen with plastic. They feel very ugly to me. I've just bought BoxWave's CrystalTouch screen protectors, but I can never get the bubbles out (any tips on that would be great) and as you can understan, air bubbles are annoying.

I'm very careful with my phones and only slip it in my pant pockets, otherwise I keep it on the desk.

In your opinion, would it be alright to keep the display unprotected? And if I end up getting minor scratches, are they easy to remove?

Thanks.

thelongmile
04-06-2007, 08:35 PM
im not sure about that one but heres a hint for getting the bubbles out

put a TINY and i do mean TINY bit of washing up liquid on the screen, and place the screen protector over it, then use a squeegy or a rubber blade, hold it down with one finger, and squeegy the washing up liquid out. Works for me but be VERY careful, and bare in mind, that washing up liquid is abbrasive.

I cant be held responsible for any damage incurred

webdave
04-06-2007, 10:04 PM
Some more tips for applying a screen protector.
- I have used Boxwave, Martin Shields, Brando, Smart Phone Experts, ExpertShields, Screen Guardz, Fellows, BestSkinsEver, and InvisiShield brand protectors in the past on many different devices. In my opinion if you want a completely clear protector go with Boxwave. They are the easiest to apply IMHO. I like how the screen protector backing has a tab on it for easy removal. Martin Shields and Brando are just as clear but didn't have the tab when I used them. BestSkinsEver, Screen Guardz and InvsiShield products are a totally different material. To me they are not completely clear. I usually use their products for the body but I use a Boxwave for the screen. Do not even buy the Fellows brand they sell at big stores like Best Buy and Circuit City. The protectors are not clear at all and are a complete waste of money.
- Don't try to re-apply a used screen protector. The only way to apply a protector totally bubble free is if it is brand new. Most places advertise protectors that are washable. Every time I have tried to reuse one I end up with dust on the protector, and dust leads to bubbles. To me a screen protector is one use only.
- Prep the screen. I usually use a bit of windex to first clean the screen. I then use a lint free cloth and a can of air to remove all dust particles from the screen. This is very important. If there is any dust it will form a small bubble on the screen. Some people apply their screen protectors in a bathroom with the shower running hot water. This will help remove the dust from the air.
- After you have a dust free screen position the device in front of you. Grab a credit card. Peel half of the backing of the screen protector off. Do not touch the sticky side of the protector. If you do you will leave a finger print that can show up after it is applied. Apply it to the bottom or top of the screen. Be careful not to fold the protector. Make sure it is centered and lined up correctly. Then slowly take your credit card and slide it over the protector. As you do that you should be peeling the back of the protector plastic off.
- After it is applied use your credit card to smooth out the protector.
- You may have some small bubbles but they should work themselves out over the next day or two.
- Don't remove the protector once it is on. If you do you will either create a fold near the edge where you picked it up or get dust on the sticky backing of the protector. In either case it will look worse after you re-apply it.

By using the method above I have applied protectors with no bubbles and they have lasted the life of the device.

techie34290
04-06-2007, 10:26 PM
What do you think about leaving it without a protector? I've had a 8700g and a Palm Treo, and their screens had little to no scratches at all. I always kept them in an empty pocket (always) and in an open space (on the side table, on the desk etc.), so they wouldn't get scratched.

If I keep it that way, would that be alright? How sensitive is the 8800 screen? Would you recommend keeping it unprotected but in the OEM leather holster?

Thanks for the awesome replies.

bwalkera300
04-07-2007, 05:33 AM
I never used a screen protector on the 8700 (personal or company BB), and never got a single scratch on the screen.

With the 8800, however, I concerned about sliding the phone in and out of the case. All it would take is a little dirt between the case and screen to make a permanent scratch.

I've found that the ScreenPatronus works flawlessly. I am really pleased with the screen protectors.

sl0ppyshat
04-07-2007, 08:11 AM
i use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and water. spray some on the screen then take credit card to smooth it out. no bubbles!

mas90guru
04-07-2007, 08:36 AM
I was thinking about using my 8800 without the screen protector. I've had my Palm Treo and 8700g for the last year and they have been working fine with little to no scratces on the displays.

The issue I have is that I don't like the gaudy leather protectors that cover the screen with plastic. They feel very ugly to me. I've just bought BoxWave's CrystalTouch screen protectors, but I can never get the bubbles out (any tips on that would be great) and as you can understan, air bubbles are annoying.

I'm very careful with my phones and only slip it in my pant pockets, otherwise I keep it on the desk.

In your opinion, would it be alright to keep the display unprotected? And if I end up getting minor scratches, are they easy to remove?

Thanks.

I used the Invisible Shields. They go on "wet" with some water and are very easy to slide around and get into a perfect position. They'll adhere in about an hour or less.

I put one on my 8800 about three weeks ago and it still looks brand new. I have zero peeling or bubbling -- and I'm usually terrible at putting these things on.

ShieldZone - Screen Protector for iPod, PDA, Cell Phone & PSP (http://www.shieldzone.com)

greggebhardt
04-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Hate screen protectors and hate cases of any kind that stay on the phone while you are using it. Have had the 8700, Pearl and now the 8800 from the day each was introduced and not one scratch.

I do not keep a phone for more than a year or so and like them best naked!

pdqgp
04-07-2007, 02:46 PM
x2 on invisible shield. I have it all over except for the chrome sides that were just too difficult for my lazy butt. The application was flawless and it's smooth and clear as can be.

It's the best thing you can do with your 8800. You litterally won't know it's there except that the unit won't be as slippery (good thing) and you also won't have to worry about putting it in your pocket with keys or coins.

Totally up to you. I don't like the leather cases with plastic either. I had on my Palm 650 but that's because it was too heavy to put in my pocket. I have seen a nice leather bound case with a swivel belt clip and NO plastic cover available for the 8800. I don't remember the name or have the link, but I will find it again.

I'm still kicking it around for when I travel. However, I've been keeping my 8800 in it's OEM case when pulling luggage, etc....when I'm settled into a car or on normal calls, I put it in my jacket or shirt pocket. Having distinctive rings for my key contacts really helps since I don't have to worry about looking at the screen for caller ID.

I used the Invisible Shields. They go on "wet" with some water and are very easy to slide around and get into a perfect position. They'll adhere in about an hour or less.

I put one on my 8800 about three weeks ago and it still looks brand new. I have zero peeling or bubbling -- and I'm usually terrible at putting these things on.

ShieldZone - Screen Protector for iPod, PDA, Cell Phone & PSP (http://www.shieldzone.com)

pdqgp
04-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Here's the case I referenced in my post above. No plastic cover.

Leather pda cases for your BlackBerry 8800 (http://www.fortte.com/scr/details-278/BlackBerry%208800.html)

secrecyguy
04-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I highly recommend using screen protector. It will also will help keep the value of the phone high if you decided to sell it.

When I left the Blackberry world, I end up selling my 8100. I feel I got lot more money from it because I have screen protector and a skin case for it.

Anyway, to eliminate the bubbles on the screen protector, I decided to do what I always say to other people but I never try it myself until I got a different phone.

People always say use water and drop of soap but the thing is, if you accidentally get some in the phone, it will be a long while before it drys out.

So I decided to use rubbing alcohol that is 70% and I spray that on the screen protector. I put that on the phone.

What I found out by accident is, when it drys out, you will see bubbles on the screen but after a day, the bubbles will disappear.

When I receive my new white Blackberry 8100, I will try another experiment. I will use rubbing alcohol with a mixture of 50% water 50% rubbing alcohol and a drop of soap and see what happens.

I keep everyone updated when I try this experiment.

cdd543
04-07-2007, 07:02 PM
I like screen patronus..they go on smooth without bubbles and are crystal clear. I have used them for several models and they are great.

shornby
04-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Anyone ever try Plexus? Plexus is a chemical that is specifically made for plastics like motorcycle shields, aircraft plastics, TFT displays, CD's/DVD's, and handheld devices.

It bonds to the plastic and makes it a lot more difficult to receive scratches. I use it everywhere, and it's pretty amazing. Just spray it on or (for smaller devices) spray it into a cloth, then buff it until dry.

And no, I don't work for Plexus! Most motorcycle dealers carry it.

Enjoy,

Steve
8800/8700c/8700v/Treo700p/7290/

Dawgfan
04-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Anyone ever try Plexus? Plexus is a chemical that is specifically made for plastics like motorcycle shields, aircraft plastics, TFT displays, CD's/DVD's, and handheld devices.

It bonds to the plastic and makes it a lot more difficult to receive scratches. I use it everywhere, and it's pretty amazing. Just spray it on or (for smaller devices) spray it into a cloth, then buff it until dry.

And no, I don't work for Plexus! Most motorcycle dealers carry it.

Enjoy,

Steve
8800/8700c/8700v/Treo700p/7290/
I have some Plexus for my motorcycle but is it safe (long-term) to use on the screen on the BB? I use it on plastics and my helmet but have never used it on anything transparent.

Dawgfan
04-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Per their site it is ok...
Plexus (http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/frames.html)

The site says you can use it on glass, mirrors, poly lenses, glass lenses, etc. I am assuming that the clear cover over the LCD of the 8800 is a poly of some sort. Anyways, I used the Plexus on my entire 8800 (screen, plastic, etc) and it seems to work pretty well. I did not have any scratches so I cannot give a before and after.