PDA

View Full Version : Gmail problem (keeps asking for password)

ddavtian
04-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Hi all.
I searched here and on google, didn't find a solution. I need your expert help.

Just got 8800 Cingular, on BES as a replacement for 8700.
Email works, bbToday works, internet works. But I cannot get gmail (application, not through the browser) working. I'm able to login and see my inbox, may also be able to read a message. Then it starts asking for the password. No refresh, no sending a message, nothing. I exit and login back, I get my inbox correctly again for a minute or two, then login questions again.

I changed APN settings to wap.cingular etc as it was mentioned on many threads here. No luck. I used to have "internet" for APN, no username or password, it was giving the same results.

My coworker has Pearl with the "wap.cingular" settings and has no problem with gmail.

It's a company bby, so I've never talked to Cingular directly. Only thing I know we have unlimited data plan.

Should I change something on my device? Or ask my administrator to change something? Or Cingular?

There is only one browser (blackberry one), not a problem for me, but manual mentions two browsers. I don't know if these are related.

Thanks in advance,
David

bobross
04-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Instead of using the gmail app you could instead set up the BIS for email retrieval.

For Cingular go to BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.mycingular.blackberry.com)
If you need to create a new account

PIN/IMEI can be found under (Settings)>>Options>>Status
*Settings may or may not appear on your home screen

It will eventually prompt you to add an email account..

Just put in the gmail address and the password and it should setup everything for you. Keep in mind that you might see emails you sent from the gmail on a computer showing up on the blackberry, but there is an FAQ here showing you how to set up the filters to stop that.

Hope this helps you out mate.

Bob

ddavtian
04-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Bob, thank you for your advise. I did as you said, now getting gmail in in my mailbox ( I have the duplicate problem, not the "sent messages", but I can live with that).

I've continued to test the gmail application (I prefer its view over the bby message view), sometimes it works for 10-15 minutes without asking for password. But usually it doesn't. I do have the setting checked for keeping me logged in, but somehow it doesn't work.

I'll continue uninstall/reinstall few more times, may be that will help :-)
David

rivviepop
04-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi David,

The only time I get the password prompt over and over is when the gmail applet loses the network connection while it's in the middle of trying to do something; this might happen to me if I'm reading mail while on the bus and it goes into an area without coverage (or is switching towers and drops the ball).

Are you experiencing any other (non gmail applet) network problems that you can see, like webpages not loading quickly maybe? Do your coverage bars bounce up and down looking for signal at all, or are they solid good strength?

Don't know exactly what's wrong, but maybe this'll help...

ddavtian
04-17-2007, 01:41 PM
I was traveling last 10 days, with 8800 and it was a good time to get gmail. The "password" problem disappeared after few days, now it stays connected all the time. I have another problem (mentioned already in these forums): any action taken in gmail on my 8800 doesn't reconcile with the server. I read messages on bby, it shows it read. I refresh, exit gmail, open again, the same message is marked as new. Same thing with deleting it from gmail on bby. It deletes it, but when I close and open the application, message is there. Deleting messages using BIS works, it reconciles with the server. And I was not able to send an email from gmail on bby, keeps giving a network error.

So far it's been good for reading messages, nothing more. I'll keep monitoring these forums to see what others are experiencing.

Thanks for your replies,
David

rivviepop
04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I read messages on bby, it shows it read. I refresh, exit gmail, open again, the same message is marked as new. Same thing with deleting it from gmail on bby. It deletes it, but when I close and open the application, message is there. Deleting messages using BIS works, it reconciles with the server. And I was not able to send an email from gmail on bby, keeps giving a network error.

These really do sound like problems with the data connection (aka 'APN'); I get the same behaviour as this if I'm on an underground train, am reading email and the train goes beyond the point of underground cell coverage. The emails show as deleted on the app, read, etc. but when I re-open it after getting signal again they're "back", like you see.

Have you called 611 (Cingular support) and asked them to check into the provisioning of your BlackBerry data account? Perhaps there's some sort of glitch going on that needs to be fixed; in times past with T-Mobile I've gotten weird glitches (random phantom voicemails, etc.) that were solved when tier 2 support did a reset of my account (I think that means they delete your info and re-enter it, but I honestly don't know).

ddavtian
04-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Have you called 611 (Cingular support) and asked them to check into the provisioning of your BlackBerry data account? Perhaps there's some sort of glitch going on that needs to be fixed; in times past with T-Mobile I've gotten weird glitches (random phantom voicemails, etc.) that were solved when tier 2 support did a reset of my account (I think that means they delete your info and re-enter it, but I honestly don't know).

I called 611, they checked the account, didn't see anything wrong. And because gmail is a third-party software, they blamed it ( "internet and email work, so Cingular service is fine"). As I mentioned in previous post, gmail stopped asking for password when opening it and reading. But sending a message never works and gmail doesn't reconcile with the server. At least I can use it as a message reader :-)

I also downloaded Citibank's mobile application, it always errors out, "network problems". Citi said to talk to Cingular, Cingular said their service is working, talk to Citibank. My guess is this and gmail problem are related.

I just give up, will take it as is.

Thanks for your help,
David

rivviepop
04-26-2007, 05:09 PM
I also downloaded Citibank's mobile application, it always errors out, "network problems". Citi said to talk to Cingular, Cingular said their service is working, talk to Citibank. My guess is this and gmail problem are related.

Sorry to hear that man, I hate it when companies start pointing fingers at each other and nobody wants to help out. :(

Aside, I didn't know Citi had a mobile app -- Google shows me all the press releases, neat! Do you have a webpage to it with more info? I'm not seeming to find it... I don't have Citi, but have been thinking about moving their way for some time. Better interest rates on checking than WellsFargo. :)

minimal
04-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Won't take my password either, but just signed in with same on computer here. Am at university, so connection should be good.

Was trying to access shared spreadsheets - or at least see if I could. But can't seem to get Google to read correctly what I am sending. Wonder if
BB keys send non-ascii codes or something. (password uses letters, numbers, symbols)

akosnitzky
04-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Bob, thank you for your advise. I did as you said, now getting gmail in in my mailbox ( I have the duplicate problem, not the "sent messages", but I can live with that).

I've continued to test the gmail application (I prefer its view over the bby message view), sometimes it works for 10-15 minutes without asking for password. But usually it doesn't. I do have the setting checked for keeping me logged in, but somehow it doesn't work.

I'll continue uninstall/reinstall few more times, may be that will help :-)
David

To get rid of the duplicates, you can create a filter through your BIS, by not allowing messages to be forwarded to your handheld if your e-mail address is in the sent folder.

ddavtian
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Aside, I didn't know Citi had a mobile app -- Google shows me all the press releases, neat! Do you have a webpage to it with more info? I'm not seeming to find it... I don't have Citi, but have been thinking about moving their way for some time. Better interest rates on checking than WellsFargo. :)

Sorry for late reply. I couldn't find a web page for CitiMobile. I got a download link when was signed up to my account. I've been using Citi last 8 years, only online banking, no papers, no problem.

rivviepop
04-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Sorry for late reply. I couldn't find a web page for CitiMobile. I got a download link when was signed up to my account. I've been using Citi last 8 years, only online banking, no papers, no problem.

*nod* Thanks for looking, I'll just keep an eye out for it. I'm a bit un-pleased (is that a word?) that their (Citi) web interface has a lot of problems with Firefox + Linux, as that's my only platform I can't be bothered with fighting my bank's online system. I don't have such problems with Schwab.com or WellsFargo.com, conversely. Now if only WF/SCH offered a mobile app. :)