PDA

View Full Version : AIM, MSN and ICQ clients - "unOFFICIALLY" Released!

Pages : [1] 2

jungleland
04-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Instructions provided by: jibi and jungleland

From your BlackBerry, go to one of the following:

AIM - www.blackberry.com/aim (http://www.blackberry.com/aim)
MSN / Live - www.blackberry.com/livemessenger (http://www.blackberry.com/livemessenger)
ICQ - www.blackberry.com/icq (http://www.blackberry.com/icq)

MSN/Live Messenger and AOL/AIM Messenger are currently available OTA (over-the-air) from the device. ICQ is available via Desktop/PC USB connection (AXLoader), in addition to OTA.

For non-TMO users (or TMO users receiving login errors) who want to use this service, please do the following:
- Download all_im_clients.zip (http://www.blackberryforums.com/attachments/rim-software/7857d1176161504-aim-msn-icq-clients-officially-released-all_im_clients.zip) and extract to your Desktop
- Connect your device to you PC and open Desktop Manager
- Double-click on Backup and Restore; click on Backup (optional step)
- Delete all service books from device (Options > Advanced Options > Service Book)
- Open Backup and Restore in BDM once again and click on Restore; select the all_im_clients.ipd file from your Desktop
- Re-send service books from BIS, or do an HRT update (Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > click and select Register Now)
- Re-activate handheld on BES, if required

Note: A special thanks to Boy Genius for the service books.

FAQ:
- These do not currently OFFICIALLY work for anyone but a handhful of users (and that small percentage is on TMO). This is due to the missing service books from your carrier. These should be available shortly, although it is currently unknown as to who will get them and what kind of exclusivity agreements are in place between RIM and the carriers.
- As mentioned in the agreement you accept prior to downloading/installing these clients, RIM does not support these clients and are available 'as is' from them (yes, they are developed by RIM).
- When functional, these clients will use up KB from your data plan (if you are not on an unlimited plan) and will not impact your text messaging plans (some IM clients do affect these SMS/text plans).
- With the workaround, AIM, MSN and ICQ clients have been confirmed as working (by myself, personally -Jibi)
- The 30 'buddy' limitation found in AIM is a limitation of AIM Mobile; RIM's client for AIM utilizes the built-in 'Mobile Device' group provided by AOL

Online User Guides (view from WAP/handheld ONLY):
AIM: www.blackberry.com/app_includes/im/aim/help.shtml (http://www.blackberry.com/app_includes/im/aim/help.shtml)
MSN: www.blackberry.com/app_includes/im/wlm/help.shtml (http://www.blackberry.com/app_includes/im/wlm/help.shtml)
ICQ: www.blackberry.com/app_includes/im/icq/help.shtml (http://www.blackberry.com/app_includes/im/icq/help.shtml)

COD/ALX Installation Files: Click Here (http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/install-rim_im_clients.zip)

**PLEASE READ**

It's been posted before, but I'll post again - the clients are down. They are not working for anyone at this time. The connection errors are the same errors that everyone else are receiving.

The services were working for a bit last night (4/9) (confirmed by many) but around 10pm EST they went down.

Please do not keep cluttering up the thread with your connection error problems. Once the services are back up someone, I'm sure, will post it here. There is no current ETA as none of us would be able to know this anyway.

Thank you.

Naked Wife
04-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Good find! Thank you very much!

evilcaptain
04-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Trying it now. Thanks.

jungleland
04-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I have already run in to problems....After installing, I try to log in and I get "please visit www.blackberry.com/aim to activate your handheld for AOL instant messenger."

WTF??

Naked Wife
04-09-2007, 11:08 AM
I got the same message.

jungleland
04-09-2007, 11:09 AM
I got the same message.

great, we have waited all this time, and this is it(n) (n)

evilcaptain
04-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Yep, getting the same message.

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 11:13 AM
ICQ is also available - www.blackberry.com/icq

I highly doubt we're supposed to know about these yet, hense why they're not working.

kalikidtx
04-09-2007, 11:26 AM
had someone figured out a fix for this? I know the Yahoo Messenger has a service book you can download and works around this issue very well, can someone create the same workaround here? possibly? thanks a million!

jungleland
04-09-2007, 11:27 AM
had someone figured out a fix for this? I know the Yahoo Messenger has a service book you can download and works around this issue very well, can someone create the same workaround here? possibly? thanks a million!

interesting...that would be great...

jwolf7722
04-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Nice find. Just when my verichat quit working! Didn't work for me either though. Getting the same errors as others.

cenner
04-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Can't wait for this app to start working. This is at least a good sign. =)

kevinmg
04-09-2007, 12:00 PM
same message here...dang....so close!

rjw3000
04-09-2007, 12:05 PM
where's msn messenger at? grrrrrr

BBChristopher
04-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Someone who has loaded this check in your service books...
Do you see an AIM service book there?

kevinmg
04-09-2007, 12:08 PM
doesn't look like there's a service book there :-\

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Nope, not there. Tried resending to see if it would show up - nothing. Tried pulling the battery (don't think that really mattered) - still nothing. Looks like we'll have to wait for the carries to roll out the service books.

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 12:19 PM
where's msn messenger at? grrrrrr

I have been searching for that page as well. All return a "page might not exist or been moved" error. Could be out there, just not sure of the actual URL.

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
i got it working! however it only shows like the first 15 buddies on your list. when u sign on to aim on a computer u see a new mobile device section there so its like the OZclient but quicker and it doesnt show s a mmobile phone next to ur screen name.....

Also i emailed myself this link and went to it from the blackberry browser

http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=aim

the last pic is the lil aim man that shows when u have a new message just like google talk has that bubble

attached are screen caps

jungleland
04-09-2007, 12:47 PM
i got it working! however it only shows like the first 15 buddies on your list. when u sign on to aim on a computer u see a new mobile device section there so its like the OZclient but quicker and it doesnt show s a mmobile phone next to ur screen name.....

Also i emailed myself this link and went to it from the blackberry browser

attached are screen caps

I see you are on TMO...Did you add an service books, or did it work after the install? Look at your service books, open up each one, do you see any entries for AOL or AIM?

The reason I ask, I know, or at least thought that there was some service book floating around for AIM on TMO when the pearl came out..

lraed74
04-09-2007, 12:48 PM
So you got it working....how?

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Sorry, yes the first thing i did was check for service books cuz i figured i wouldnt have em yet once i saw i did i tried signing on and it went through.

screen cap of the service books attached

for the previous poster i just went to the link i posted (using the bb browser) and installed then tried signing on didnt restart or resend s service books.

first impressions: its really quick! u can go on invisible, u can add buddies, but it only shows like 15 and makes a new mobile device section on ur aim buddy list

*Interesting note i have the ICQ service book as well though i didn't install ICQ messenger. and anyone notice the very first service book is for windows live so msn must be around there somewhere!*

jungleland
04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Sorry, yes the first thing i did was check for service books cuz i figured i wouldnt have em yet once i saw i did i tried signing on and it went through.

for the previous poster i just went to the link i posted (using the bb browser) and installed then tried signing on didnt restart or resend s service books.

first impressions: its really quick! u can go on invisible, u can add buddies, but it only shows like 15 and makes a new mobile device section on ur aim buddy list

*Interesting note i have the ICQ service book as well though i didn't install ICQ messenger. and anyone notice the very first service book is for windows live so msn must be around there somewhere!*

and there is the problem....TMO has em, and cingular does not...

Dawgfan
04-09-2007, 01:06 PM

How and where did you get the service books?

BBChristopher
04-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Cool that you got it working.
I am think that on Cingular/Att you may have to get that Service Book some other way?

Can anyone confirm this is working on Cingy?

kevinmg
04-09-2007, 01:09 PM
i'm on TMO (8700g) - no service books - any suggestions?

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 01:13 PM
probably not available for BB's running anything other than OS 4.2

BBChristopher
04-09-2007, 01:16 PM
This may be the same problem that Yahoo users have on Cingular.

Just need someone to isolate that AIM service book and post it.
After that, should be an easy install just like yahoo!

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 01:21 PM
This may be the same problem that Yahoo users have on Cingular.

Just need someone to isolate that AIM service book and post it.
After that, should be an easy install just like yahoo!
I agree; very easy to do after the service book is located.

ezrunner
04-09-2007, 01:22 PM
No luck here either
on TMO

lraed74
04-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I agree; very easy to do after the service book is located.

Chop Chop people :)

jungleland
04-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Chop Chop people :)

yeah...I found it, NOW GET ON IT!!!!:idea: :-P

Pizzle
04-09-2007, 01:38 PM
***moving to RIM Software Forum***

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 01:41 PM
Looks like I spoke to soon....so its really quick and reliable signs on quick and flawlessly.

However it only gives you 30 buddies.

You can't see away messages.

And there's no shortcut for it (like for googletalk you press G).

Ill probably continue using googletalk with transports. Kinda dissappointed.

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Looks like I spoke to soon....so its really quick and reliable signs on quick and flawlessly.

Not having to use transports and having a native environment is a huge step in the right direction though.

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Keyboard shortcut is 'I' on my 8700.

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Keyboard shortcut is 'I' on my 8700.
Same here . . .

ezrunner
04-09-2007, 01:48 PM

works for me as I have mabye 15 AIM buddies now I just need to get it to work on the BB

BBChristopher
04-09-2007, 01:52 PM
Getting it to work on the BB is kind of the whole point of this thread, isn't it?

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Getting it to work on the BB is kind of the whole point of this thread, isn't it?
Nice one!

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 01:59 PM
Should anyone feel the need to assist your other BB Forum members (who are in desperate need right now) and provide the Service Books here are the modules they are tied to:

AIM
net_rim_bb_qm_aim
net_rim_bb_qm_aim-2
net_rim_bb_qm_aim-1

net_rim_bb_qm_icq-2
net_rim_bb_qm_icq-1

MSN
net_rim_bb_qm_msn_resource_en
net_rim_bb_qm_msn
net_rim_bb_qm_msn-3
net_rim_bb_qm_msn-2
net_rim_bb_qm_msn-1

*edit: added MSN modules

ezrunner
04-09-2007, 02:00 PM
true true oversight on my part

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Cool I is the shortcut so i can remove the icon now. I agree having it in a native environment is convenient cuz the "command failed" prompt on google was annoying. The thing is only 30 buddies...i have over a hundred not that it matters cuz i really only speak to about 40 of em. Lastly the viewing away message feature is helpful when my buddies and I wanna know where everyone is at to meet up. Overall its clean and like i said very fast. Time will tell which one i end up using though.

On a sidenote im using 8800 unlocked on tmo. i navigated the BB to this link

downloaded the software then went to aim and entered my username and password and it signed on no problems. im running 4.2.1.73

Once signed on to AIM theres a help section im navigating the the trouble shoot section and havent come across a the error message soem of u recieved.

It does say buddy groups are supported the way you have it on your aim buddy list so maybe it will be fixed to allow more then 30 buddies.

Lastly remember when rumors first surfaced of AIM, ICQ and MSN clients there was talk that some carriers wouldnt allow it. So dont be surprised if thats whats wrong with the folks tryin to run it on Cingular

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 02:09 PM
MSN

http://www.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=msn

jwolf7722
04-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Any luck with anyone on sprint? Cant get mine to work. But im with Sprint and running 4.1.XXXX

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Should anyone feel the need to assist your other BB Forum members (who are in desperate need right now) and provide the Service Books here are the modules they are tied to:

AIM
net_rim_bb_qm_aim
net_rim_bb_qm_aim-2
net_rim_bb_qm_aim-1

net_rim_bb_qm_icq-2
net_rim_bb_qm_icq-1

If someone explains how to provide service books from those modules ill gladly do it. is it via desktop manager?

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 02:17 PM
MSN

AWESOME!!! Now we need the service books and we will be rocking (if the issue is indeed with the service books).

rjw3000
04-09-2007, 02:28 PM
MSN

cool, now if I had the service books, it would be even better.

http://www.blackberry.com/livemessenger

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 02:30 PM
MSN uses 'N' as the shortcut key along with BB Messenger however when you press 'n' it still brings up BB Messenger not MSN.

When signing in to MSN or Live Messenger I receive the error: "Handheld does not have the required service books.

It's safe to say that this is a service book issue.

Boy Genius
04-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, 100% a service book issue. Those service books posted earlier look like the OZ service books, and not true RIM/IM service books, also the client he posted pictures of also looks like the OZ client...it's a waiting game now to see which carriers have signed the IM agreements

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Yes, 100% a service book issue. Those service books posted earlier look like the OZ service books, and not true RIM/IM service books, also the client he posted pictures of also looks like the OZ client...it's a waiting game now to see which carriers have signed the IM agreements
I knew you would jump in on this one! Thanks BG!

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 02:37 PM
Msn works perfectly as well and it look alot cleaner then AIM. even the start up screen looks developed hopefully thats a good sign that AIM is just in beta.

With the aim it also links up to ur Address book so u can email, mms, or call from the chat window. Very cool.

I agree with boy genius the aim looks like the OZ client only difference is when i sign on to the OZ it shows a mobile phone next to my screen name. when i sign in with this new one it doesn't and the messages are much quicker

And the N key only opens msn for me no longer opens bbmessenger

jwolf7722
04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

I just got a yahoo service book? Works pretty good but I don't ever use yahoo.

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 02:44 PM
And the N key only opens msn for me no longer opens bbmessenger

Interesting - it's the exact opposite for me.

Boy Genius
04-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Hmm, AIM isn't working on 8300 even though I have the AIM service book on Cingular, which is the one you have on T-Mobile...

UPDATE: Doesn't work on 8300 with T-Mobile even...guessing those WV service books are OZ service books, and not the RIM ones...

Boy Genius
04-09-2007, 02:47 PM
On 8800 N no longer opens BlackBerry Messenger but MSN instead, you're not alone Paul!

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 02:47 PM
my service books says "wireless village - AIM [smp]"

Under module it says:

net_rim_bb_qm_aim

Installed version- 1.1.13
Available version- 1.1.13

jwolf7722
04-09-2007, 02:53 PM

So who all has the service book? Tmob.

Boy Genius
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
mine says "AIM WV SwRelay [SMP]" thats on 8300 on Cingular...just not working...

debitodd
04-09-2007, 02:54 PM
hmm no service book for me either im with nextel i probaly wont get it for sure lolol

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 02:57 PM
hmm no service book for me either im with nextel i probaly wont get it for sure lolol
You get an E for effort (but your probably right unless the whole service book thing can be resolved).

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I am SOOOOO confused right now - Can someone PLEASE, PLEASE sum up this thread - AIM/MSN/ICQ is NOT working as I understand? What are service books? How can I get it to work?

Pizzle
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi Ryan,

It won't work until the carriers push out service books. We need to be patient just a bit longer. That's the basic "sum up". :)

FYI..."i" is the shortcut to AOL IM now (assuming you're using something other than Voda Today theme)

ant architect
04-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Weird... he's using an unlocked 8800 on T-Mobile and it works... WEIRD.

Maybe it's exclusive for one device on a certain network... maybe... I don't know though!

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Really? For me the AIM shortcut is the little AIM man?

ezrunner
04-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Really? For me the AIM shortcut is the little AIM man?
Ryan

That is the icon on the screen that you have to scroll to and select however if on home screen and you press I it will automatically open up AIM

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Ryan

That is the icon on the screen that you have to scroll to and select however if on home screen and you press I it will automatically open up AIM
I knew I have been doing something wrong all these years!

jibi
04-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Okay, for someone who IS working, please do the following:

- Connect your device to your PC and open Desktop Manager
- Click on Backup and Restore
- Click Advanced
- Scroll down under Device Databases and select Service Book
- Click on the left arrow to put Service Book in your Desktop File Databases list
- Click on File then Save As
- Select your Desktop from the top menu and click Save

ZIP that file up and then post it as an attachment in this thread. This will enable some of us w/o T-Mobile to use the services as well. Thanks.

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Okay, for someone who IS working, please do the following:

- Connect your device to your PC and open Desktop Manager
- Click on Backup and Restore
- Click Advanced
- Scroll down under Device Databases and select Service Book
- Click on the left arrow to put Service Book in your Desktop File Databases list
- Click on File then Save As
- Select your Desktop from the top menu and click Save

ZIP that file up and then post it as an attachment in this thread. This will enable some of us w/o T-Mobile to use the services as well. Thanks.
I love jibi (not in that way you sickos)!

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Someone pleeeease do what jibi said!

jibi
04-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, let's just hope one of those above will provide the file. :)

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I just got to work. When I get back home 10 pm eastern time I will dowhat jibi said. Also keep in mind this was all covered by jibi in post about the forth comin client. A search should bring it up. Again as soon as I get homeill follow the steps provided

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Please do the same thing for MSN as I use that mainly! Thanks

ceebz
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I just got to work. When I get back home 10 pm eastern time I will dowhat jibi said. Also keep in mind this was all covered by jibi in post about the forth comin client. A search should bring it up. Again as soon as I get homeill follow the steps provided

Many thanks.

jungleland
04-09-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, let's just hope one of those above will provide the file. :)

http://cards.webshots.com/resources2/6/6506.jpg

jibi
04-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Please do the same thing for MSN as I use that mainly! Thanks
It will include all non-BES service books (or it should, atleast).

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
I really hope we can get it to work for non Tmobile customers.

Can anyone who has it working please post screenshots of MSN? Can you actually change your MSN name, and if so, does it update in real time? Thanks :)

rjw3000
04-09-2007, 04:56 PM
and there is the problem....TMO has em, and cingular does not...

I have T-Mobile and neither AIM nor MSN work for me. I am on 8700g. I also downloaded AIM on someone's Pearl at work with T-Mo and they got the go visit the page for service books message as well.

Ophidian
04-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I also have T-Mobile, and when I clicked on the Download link for AIM, I got the dreaded "your device is not currently supported" message. (I sent Service Books prior to trying to download)

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 05:06 PM
I guess the ad at the bottom of this thread will be gone soon? Lol

Edit: It was for IM+ :p

jibi
04-09-2007, 05:27 PM
JL, I have updated your original post, slightly :)

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Ryan in MSN you can change your display name and it does it instantly.

Paul its funny but if you hide the MSN icon and show the bbmessenger icon then the N key opens bbmessenger but if you show the MSN icon N doesn't work messenger only for MSN.

When I get home I'll post more pics of the MSN interface.

The AIM interface is exactly like the OZ version except that on others computer you don't show up with a mobile phone icon next to your name. Also the messages are instant.

The only thing I did differant was that I went to the exact link rather then blackberry.com/aim. Also I'm running 4.2.1.73 on my unlocked 8800 but that shouldn't make a differance.

kasperapd
04-09-2007, 05:47 PM
I have AIM working on T-Mobile with unlocked 8800. I'm honestly not too impressed with it. It puts the icon in the Instant Messaging folder making it a pain to get to. Then when you receive a message, if you're not in the app, you have to go back into that folder to open it up. It does not list the message in your messages folder, and give you a pop-up asking if you want to view the message.

I honestly think JiveTalk is better so far.

Boy Genius
04-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah, AIM really is limited to 30 buddies, what the hell!?!?! Hasn't RIM learned anything? Backing up service books now and will post zip file.

donthateme13
04-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Well in terms of he messages remember hitting the I key is the shortcut to open AIM. Its really quick and reliable but the buddy limit and the fact that you can't you can't view away messages is dissappointing.

For now it will be my secondary option behind Gtalk.

The MSN client is very nice though. But it just seems like MSN is the final product while AIM is in a beta mode or soemthing. And remember jibi did say MSN would be released first so who know maybe an update will fix these issues.

BBChristopher
04-09-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks BG....
Once that is done, we should be up and running.

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, AIM really is limited to 30 buddies, what the hell!?!?! Hasn't RIM learned anything? Backing up service books now and will post zip file.
Thanks BG for everything you do for us here and at your site (http://www.boygeniusreport.com)!

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks BG - how will we get it onto our BB? OTA or desktop software?

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks BG - how will we get it onto our BB? OTA or desktop software?

Desktop manager through backup/restore function.

Boy Genius
04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Ok, here we go, confirmed working on Cingular on a BlackBerry 8800!

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Okay, hopefully BG will give us a little tutorial for us noobies then? Lol.

Edit: Nice Boy Genius! POST AWAY!

Stewie
04-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks a bunch.

debitodd
04-09-2007, 06:05 PM
could someone please tell me where to put extract the file to? tyvm i appreciate it

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 06:06 PM
For anyone encountering the "read-only" database error:

BlackBerry Search Results (http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB04461&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=8445320&stateId=0%200%208443086)

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm in on all three apps using a 8700c locked to Cingular, v4.1.0.377.

Thanks BG!!!

dantes5823
04-09-2007, 06:10 PM
holy smokes excellent. so for those that havent figured out how to get it up and running. Go to DM and go to restore and backup-restore and select the file included in the zip file. it will ask you to replace your service books with these click ok and when its done resend service books from your carrier and from the bb go to options-advanced optoions- Host routing table- and then menu there and register now and then the moment u open AIM its loogs you in.

geediu
is the service book carrier independent???

fwellers
what do we do with the IPD file ?

other than the obvious :smile: :smile:

Stewie
04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
what do we do with the IPD file ?

other than the obvious :smile: :smile:

Read post #96

debitodd
04-09-2007, 06:12 PM
yes ryan i need a tutorial as well loll ty for whoever will post one

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 06:14 PM
yes ryan i need a tutorial as well loll ty for whoever will post one

As stated above your post, read post #96.

Thanks BG for posting the file. Works like a charm.

dantes5823
04-09-2007, 06:19 PM
if anyone needs more help just pm me or add me to you bb messenger

jibi
04-09-2007, 06:26 PM
For non-TMO users who want to use this service, please do the following to use BG's :
- Download all_im_clients.zip (http://www.blackberryforums.com/attachments/rim-software/7857d1176161504-aim-msn-icq-clients-officially-released-all_im_clients.zip) and extract to your Desktop
- Delete all service books from device (Options > Advanced Options > Service Book)
- Open Backup and Restore in BDM once again and click on Restore; select the all_im_clients.ipd file from your Desktop
- Re-send service books from BIS, or do an HRT update (Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > click and select Register Now)

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Can someone please, PLEASE do me a huge favour? Either make the file provided by boy genious availabe for ota download, or (someone please, be nice enough to do this!) .rar the blackberry desktop software, please?

The only reason why I'm asking is because I'm on dial up right now and this computer doesn't have the desktop software.

I'm really excited for this, so any help would be great!

Perfect Storm
04-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Desktop software is an exe so compressing it won't save much. Service books also can't be DLed OTA.

Worked like a charm with the zip provided, just had to resend my BIS service books and I was good to go! (y)

jibi
04-09-2007, 06:37 PM
The Service Books cannot be installed over the air.

trojanex
04-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Worked like a charm with the zip provided, just had to resend my BIS service books and I was good to go! (y)

+1 (y)

It works great for me!

MSN on a Nextel 7520. Will be trying on a 7100i shortly.

Perfect Storm
04-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Should have mentioned: 8700g on Rogers, and I only did MSN. Seems pretty light on data too.

kevinmg
04-09-2007, 06:53 PM
outstanding...thanks BG! working on TMO 8700g!

jwolf7722
04-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Mine still not working on Sprint. Anyone else have any luck? Pretty sure I did it right but who knows.

lraed74
04-09-2007, 07:06 PM
8703e Sprint and worked for me, thanks!!!!

jwolf7722
04-09-2007, 07:24 PM

Finally got it working. Only shows 8 of my friends as being on when there are actually like 50 on. Anyone else getting this also? Thanks.

timmyc123
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
I wish it would pop-up when you get a message like ramble and oz...It would be nice to change the default away message too...
Overall, great though!

Working TMO 8700g

gschoelles
04-09-2007, 07:33 PM
No go for Verizon 7250 - But just figures on both counts

Dawgfan
04-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Is this working for Cingular (8800) yet? I have a Mac so I will have to wait til' I can do it all OTA.

I hope this works well as I think even the Xbox 360 (Xbox Live) will be getting MSN functionality soon. Knowing that I am giving away a bit of my geekiness, it will be kinda cool to be able to IM folks on XBL.

cwosigns
04-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Mac here, too. ::sigh::

Dawgfan
04-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Mac here, too. ::sigh::
It is not always a bad thing. I often find that while everyone is trying to get something new like this working and we patiently wait for a solution that is not usually long in coming, I often get to avoid many potential pitfalls, errors and good ol' PITAs.

lraed74
04-09-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm using the Zen theme, but when I hid MSN from the menu, it started using BB messenger when I would hit 'n' - So I put MSN back on the menu, then 'n' was going to MSN...the same for AIM, my 'i' was using "IP Relay" so I hid AIM and now 'i' is going back to that again.

Just FYI if what I said makes sense :)

coldconfession13
04-09-2007, 07:52 PM
aim i get to go to the blackberry site

windows live i get dont have required service books

im using tmobile latest os and have the blackberry pearl. anybody help me out here hit me up on aim at : coldcc

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 07:54 PM
aim i get to go to the blackberry site

windows live i get dont have required service books

im using tmobile latest os and have the blackberry pearl. anybody help me out here hit me up on aim at : coldcc

wow, did you read any of the posts?

Wishdemon
04-09-2007, 07:58 PM
Unless I missed it (and I've read through each posting), Jibi's directions is for NON-TMO users. What should TMO users do to get AIM working?

Thanks!

jibi
04-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Unless I missed it (and I've read through each posting), Jibi's directions is for NON-TMO users. What should TMO users do to get AIM working?

Thanks!
same thing.

coldconfession13
04-09-2007, 08:11 PM
thats what i was talking about. Is there a way to backup my current service book.

jwolf7722
04-09-2007, 08:13 PM

Anyone else having only limited info on aim? Mine still only shows 3 or 4 people online which is not right.

coldconfession13
04-09-2007, 08:19 PM
mine shows no one is online.

Crupp
04-09-2007, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=jibi]For non-TMO users who want to use this service, please do the following to use BG's :
- Re-activate handheld on BES, if required.

My service books are greyed out. I'm on a BES any ideas?

jibi
04-09-2007, 08:35 PM
COD/ALX Installation Files: Click Here (http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/install-rim_im_clients.zip)

jibi
04-09-2007, 08:36 PM
My service books are greyed out. I'm on a BES any ideas?Hmm, I've honestly don't recall a policy option that would disable the deletion of service books, but if that's the case, you could always do a security wipe on the device. It's a bit of a pain in the butt, tho.

Perfect Storm
04-09-2007, 08:47 PM
EDIT: D'oh

bbkingrocks
04-09-2007, 08:52 PM
Doesn't seem to work for Verizon (8703e). Signing on screen appears but never logs in. Anyone have any luck with Verizon?

Ryan8700
04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Can someone please explain how to resend service books from Rogers Wireless? Isnt there an easier way to do it?

phillyslickster
04-09-2007, 08:58 PM
I have service books now and I'm using 8700g on T-Mobile but it just says contacting AIM service but never logs in. :-(

lraed74
04-09-2007, 08:59 PM
It seems the 30 per list is for mobile devices, its an AIM restriction.

AIM | Mobile | WAP | Buddy List (http://site.aol.com/aim/mobile/wap/using_buddy_list.htm)

So RIM's AIM client is signing us on as such, doesnt seem a way to get around this unless RIM makes the login different?

digidep
04-09-2007, 09:02 PM
Anyone on T-mobile using a Pearl 8100 with 4.2.1 get MSN to work?

First installed Live Messenger, no service books.

I deleted all service books, and restored jibi's posted services books.

Now i get Connection Error(65): Problem receiving data from the server.

hrtlss22
04-09-2007, 09:03 PM
i get connection error (65): problem receiving data from the server when i try to log in on msn on my 8707g blackberry. i have t-mobile service, and i bought my blackberry in singapore. yahoo works fine. and aim just signs in constantly and never actually logs in. any help would be great, thanks

coldconfession13
04-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Anyone on T-mobile using a Pearl 8100 with 4.2.1 get MSN to work?

First installed Live Messenger, no service books.

I deleted all service books, and restored jibi's posted services books.

Now i get Connection Error(65): Problem receiving data from the server.

yea got the same thing so restored my book and waiting for official support tmobile

tateu
04-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Doesn't seem to work for Verizon (8703e). Signing on screen appears but never logs in. Anyone have any luck with Verizon?
I have a Verizon 8703e on BIS. I've gotten AIM to work a few times but, more often than not, it gets stuck logging in. I haven't tried ICQ or MSN yet.

jibi
04-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Looks like all of them are down, for now. *sigh*

paulbblc
04-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Looks like all of them are down, for now. *sigh*

I was hoping it wasn't just me.

smcassara
04-09-2007, 09:35 PM
i've seen alot of talk about aim, does bg's service book zip solve any of the yahoo/cingular problems?

Wishdemon
04-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Same problem as phillyslickster - it stays on the "Contacting AIM Service" and never connects....

hrtlss22
04-09-2007, 09:56 PM
sigh

Perfect Storm
04-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Looks like they shut 'er down

snowskier79
04-09-2007, 10:29 PM
What a tease!!!!! Sigh . . . .

Demon
04-09-2007, 10:31 PM
I think I will stick to JiveTalk. With a 200+ person buddy list it seems pointless for me to use this with only 30 buddies.

jibi
04-09-2007, 10:45 PM
i've seen alot of talk about aim, does bg's service book zip solve any of the yahoo/cingular problems?
We left the Yahoo service book in there, so it should work just fine. Give it a go. This has been the method used to skirt around Cingular's lack of Yahoo services for quite some time.

tdawg00
04-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Tmo data/sms servers where down for a couple hours ago, so maybe that what is causing all these problems. Oddly i look at all the service books and all of them have EVAL. So maybe these are not the final products. Stupid AIM doesnt have a have save password option and it doesnt show all my buddys in other groups unless its in the regular friends column.

kevinmg
04-09-2007, 11:37 PM
lame....was working great earlier in the evening :-\

Fresh DRL
04-10-2007, 12:50 AM
I have a cingular 8800 and i followed all the directions, however all my e-mail accounts have been removed from my home screen. What did I do wrong, and can someone please provide me with detailed instructions to resolve this?

Finchworm
04-10-2007, 01:17 AM
what is so good about this independant AIM , versus the OZ MESSENGER ONE? , altho on OZ it sucks i never stay connected that long and just its crap

toddz
04-10-2007, 02:05 AM

Seriously, how do you find the paths to the cod files? I checked all the page source and javascript even tried to change the user agent and found nothing.

toddz

Finchworm
04-10-2007, 02:06 AM
so , this only works on a data plan , , , thats stupid if it does cause the yahoo independant dont , cause i got the app on my phone via using device sim on my pc and all that , but i dont have a data plan , and i got the book on my phone but it wont connect it is on connect screen forever , thats bull!

Finchworm
04-10-2007, 02:06 AM
someone please message me and let me know if i can get on with a unlimited text plan like the YAHOO cause OZ dont work to well on my phone alwasy get dissconected!

flash24
04-10-2007, 02:13 AM
For non-TMO users who want to use this service, please do the following to use BG's :

Thanks Jibi:smile:

ceehjayem
04-10-2007, 02:14 AM
Is anyone else's working? I added the service book to my phone but when I try to connect it says:

Signing on as:
Contacting AIM Service

but it lags and doesnt sign on. Anyone else with this problem?

phillyslickster
04-10-2007, 03:52 AM
i get connection error (65): problem receiving data from the server when i try to log in on msn on my 8707g blackberry. i have t-mobile service, and i bought my blackberry in singapore. yahoo works fine. and aim just signs in constantly and never actually logs in. any help would be great, thanks

I'm getting the same error on my T-Mobile 8700g. After looking at the service books for these apps, it seems this is still in beta. Hopefully, it'll be fully released soon.

jibi
04-10-2007, 05:28 AM
so , this only works on a data plan , , , thats stupid if it does cause the yahoo independant dont , cause i got the app on my phone via using device sim on my pc and all that , but i dont have a data plan , and i got the book on my phone but it wont connect it is on connect screen forever , thats bull!
The Yahoo client from RIM works on data only. The same goes for these. This cuts down in unneeded SMS/text-based 'free' alternative IM clients, such as Oz 'Instant' Messaging from TMO.

Seriously, how do you find the paths to the cod files? I checked all the page source and javascript even tried to change the user agent and found nothing.

toddzJavaloader's save function; built the ALX from scratch myself, based on the information from the OTA installations. When I get some time, I'll dig around and get the hard links to the JAD and COD files from RIM (it's a pain in the butt to figure out).

jibi
04-10-2007, 05:29 AM
Is anyone else's working? I added the service book to my phone but when I try to connect it says:

Signing on as:
Contacting AIM Service

but it lags and doesnt sign on. Anyone else with this problem?
As of about 10PM ET, the service no longer worked. Please look just above your post in this thread.

Wishdemon
04-10-2007, 06:05 AM
I have a cingular 8800 and i followed all the directions, however all my e-mail accounts have been removed from my home screen. What did I do wrong, and can someone please provide me with detailed instructions to resolve this?

Visit Cingulars website to resend the service books for BIS....you'll get your email accounts back.

jwolf7722
04-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Isnt working over here on sprint anymore either (yahoo and AIM). It goes to log in and thats it. Its a waiting game now.

bruceweinstein
04-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Anyone from Rogers Wireless download Messenger? If so how did you get it to work. I am having Service Book error.

thanks and look forward to your replies.

...Bruce

jibi
04-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Anyone from Rogers Wireless download Messenger? If so how did you get it to work. I am having Service Book error.

thanks and look forward to your replies.

...Bruce
Look up 3 posts.

Ketchums
04-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I think I'ma stick with JiveTalk too for my AIM...I've got over 200 buddies, and I try to keep in contact with most of them. I'm good with Yahoo and Google for now...I'll DL the AIM and MSN once they have Tmobile support though, just for the hell of it

test54
04-10-2007, 08:46 AM
got all the service books loaded and working but i get "Connection Error(65): Problem receiving data from server.

any ideas?

Crupp
04-10-2007, 09:01 AM
How did you connect? Did you download for the first time this morning?

nike30
04-10-2007, 09:22 AM
got all the service books loaded and working but i get "Connection Error(65): Problem receiving data from server.

any ideas?

I get the exact same error msg.

Guess we're s.o.l. until T-Mo finishes beta testing.

Beerbaron
04-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Jibi is it fair to assume that since they shut down the service so quickly that perhaps this wasn't an "official" release after all? How long do we estimate to the services are available again?

paulbblc
04-10-2007, 09:25 AM
**PLEASE READ**

It's been posted before, but I'll post again - the clients are down. They are not working for anyone at this time. The connection errors are the same errors that everyone else are receiving.

The services were working for a bit last night but around 10pm EST they went down.

Please do not keep cluttering up the thread with your connection error problems. Once the services are back up someone, I'm sure, will post it here. There is no current ETA as none of us would be able to know this anyway.

Thank you.

Boy Genius
04-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Very lame that it went down, when RIM posts something on their site, they are ready to release, or they want it to be found. We were all part of some quick test, or RIM is really trying to leak info to the public. Sadly they just pissed off a lot of people by shutting the service down, one way or another. Good job guys!

jungleland
04-10-2007, 09:36 AM

I take back everything I ever said about you...(y) (y)

Dawgfan
04-10-2007, 09:53 AM
I take back everything I ever said about you...(y) (y)
So is it working on the 8800?
Any idea of when available OTA?

Thanks.

jungleland
04-10-2007, 09:55 AM
So is it working on the 8800?
Any idea of when available OTA?

Thanks.

No, not working...But I appreciate his effort...

Dawgfan
04-10-2007, 10:00 AM
These new IM clients are going to be pretty sweet, especially if you are a user of XBL as they are about to add MSN functionality to that service. I guess I really don't need it til' May as that is when XBL is to be updated to provide this functionality.

blackberrycat
04-10-2007, 10:02 AM
same here, same here ... AOL doesn't work on my 8800. will unload and try again after all bugs ironed out?

jwolf7722
04-10-2007, 10:03 AM

I got yahoo working. It was doing the same thing as aim but its up now. Aim still not working.

hawk99
04-10-2007, 10:07 AM

I'm on the Rogers network. When I tried to restore the "all_im_clients.ipd" file, I got an error that the data was unrecognizable.

Anyone know what's wrong?

jwolf7722
04-10-2007, 10:13 AM

Yahoo kicked me back off after 2 messages where sent.

lraed74
04-10-2007, 10:27 AM
Apparently no one reads where its been said multiple times that it is all currently down/not working at the moment.

mattbrody
04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Hello forum!!;

I just download the app and did all the steps, except last one wich was to get the old service books for the internet conection (with out those i am dead), i try to do the reconection stuff with the network, i worked well till i only got a SMS saying i Was on the network on a registred mode, wich was FINE,,, then i notice no Internet Browser and no BB e-mailing.. and that was a bad one..

did try call the Movistar but it was too late (shi**), did call them today and they keep saying, that they allready send me the books and stuff but the BB hasent recived yet (and for shure i know that the networks around here for BB arent that bussy, say 10% of usage)

i had another problem, the device would freez up when i try to activate BIS , so i had to errase all the device and reload again before MSN, now the only problem is that i have some services books still missing others and can't get internet or mail

any help to this nightmare?

thanks, moises

nike30
04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Hello forum!!;

I just download the app and did all the steps, except last one wich was to get the old service books for the internet conection (with out those i am dead), i try to do the reconection stuff with the network, i worked well till i only got a SMS saying i Was on the network on a registred mode, wich was FINE,,, then i notice no Internet Browser and no BB e-mailing.. and that was a bad one..

did try call the Movistar but it was too late (shi**), did call them today and they keep saying, that they allready send me the books and stuff but the BB hasent recived yet (and for shure i know that the networks around here for BB arent that bussy, say 10% of usage)

i had another problem, the device would freez up when i try to activate BIS , so i had to errase all the device and reload again before MSN, now the only problem is that i have some services books still missing others and can't get internet or mail

any help to this nightmare?

thanks, moises

My suggestion would be to restore your device to your pre-MSN download state. Please tell me you backed up your device before stepping in these waters.....

vibribbon
04-10-2007, 12:07 PM
I spoke to Rogers technical support, and the rep said that he doubted that Rogers would ever release a service book enabling the use of the RIM Windows Live Messenger client, due to their special relationship with Yahoo (the Yahoo Messenger client is pushed / pre-installed to all BB's on Rogers). This is extremely lame if true, although it seems like a pointless endeavor as we can just use IM+ etc.

Galvatron
04-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Were do you get the msn service books from?

kungen4000
04-10-2007, 12:30 PM
This is one complicated way to get it to work, and it still doesn't work. Why does it need to be so difficult to install/configure, and why doesn't it work anyway? I mean, why should a user even have to know what a "service book" is? This is waaay too complicated. I wonder what I'm doing wrong as I believe I followed the step-by-step instructions and it still doesn't work.

nike30
04-10-2007, 12:32 PM
This is one complicated way to get it to work, and it still doesn't work. Why does it need to be so difficult to install/configure, and why doesn't it work anyway? I mean, why should a user even have to know what a "service book" is? This is waaay too complicated. I wonder what I'm doing wrong as I believe I followed the step-by-step instructions and it still doesn't work.

Please see post #168, and grab a tall glass of red kool-aid.

Galvatron
04-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

A service book is simaller to a registry key or a config file silly

MrKyoo
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
...... I wonder what I'm doing wrong as I believe I followed the step-by-step instructions and it still doesn't work.By not reading this post and a few others is where you went wrong.

PLEASE READ.

The services were working for a bit last night but around 10pm EST they went down.

Thank you.

~MrKyoo

paulbblc
04-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Apparently I needed to make the *PLEASE READ* portion of that post bigger and brighter and flashier.

Galvatron
04-10-2007, 12:48 PM

Yeah I read all the posts

pspiegel
04-10-2007, 01:18 PM
anyone get this program to work with verizon? i see the service is down for everyone now, but before they went down did anyone have it work on vzw?

Jay5
04-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Why is everything always like this?

Why does Verizon take a full year to release new device code, why do the providers prevent us from IM, why can't my google maps pull gps data. Why can't I have spell check, video, pictures, etc?

Its sad that Microsoft does an even worse job at writing code for mobile devices.

I CAN NOT WAIT for the day another solution is avalable (I-Phone v2 with BES Support? LOL) that works as well or better then BB, for I can not stand this BS from BB all the time with every feature. What is even worse is we validate RIM by talking like school girls about ever feature.

Dewars
04-10-2007, 01:25 PM
anyone get this program to work with verizon? i see they are down for everyone now, but before they went down did anyone have it work?

http://www.blackberryforums.com/505204-post168.html
Its not working for anyone right now.

pspiegel
04-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Its not working for anyone right now.

right, i understand that, but in my post I was asking if BEFORE they went down anyone had it working on verizon?

Pizzle
04-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Hi Jay,

First...welcome to the Forums.

The simple answer is that BBs are designed as e-mail devices. The fact that they're just now getting into this other stuff is a totally new venture for them, and there are still bugs and kinks to work out.

The only reason why we get giddy or even NOTICE that this stuff exists, is because we're nerds for these things, and salivate at whatever is cool and new.

It doesn't work because they haven't figured it out yet. When the general public hears about it, most of the bugs should be fixed.

I can't imagine that this is even a remote priority for RIM or the carriers, considering that Instant Messaging is hardly their basis for success. However, they're catching up.

There are devices that are good at all of this because that's their medium. Take the Sidekick, for example. However, it's the focus of the device. The same can't be said for BBs prior to now.

Hope that clarifies it a bit. Again, welcome.

mattbrody
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Yes nike30 i did a backup before the MSN problem, but still when i did upload the last "good" configuration, non of the Service Books where loaded, now i only have its call PROVISIONING (PROVISIONING).. and thats the only service book, now they told me that with that only service book and downloading the others from BIS it would be ok.. till this moment havent got any of the service books (ither from the support guys or the BIS page)

Allso when i try to activate (what its call Enterprice Conection, wich is the only way to register the BB on the network it gets froozen or say CAN°T reach the server)=

linuxpro
04-10-2007, 02:08 PM
I have just downloaded messanger live and followed the instructions at the to of the screen but when i try to connect i get the error connection error (65): Problem receiving data from the server

Anyone got any ideas

Thanks

da0ne83
04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
hey matt

try going through your service provider website you can get the service books from them

nike30
04-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Mods - why not attach 'post#168' (in bold) to the initial post in this thread?

Just a crazy idea.

*swoosh*

junior1790
04-10-2007, 02:21 PM
I have just downloaded messanger live and followed the instructions at the to of the screen but when i try to connect i get the error connection error (65): Problem receiving data from the server

Anyone got any ideas

Thanks
SEE POST 168, HOW HARD IS THIS. IF WE CAN USE BB'S WHY CANT WE ALL FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS.......

paulbblc
04-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Mods - why not attach 'post#168' (in bold) to the initial post in this thread?

Just a crazy idea.

*swoosh*

done.

nike30
04-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Thanks. I figured everyone was reading post #1 without reading the rest of the following posts - before posting (I was one of the guilty, obviously.)

Again, thanks.

omkhar
04-10-2007, 02:28 PM
[QUOTE=jibi]For non-TMO users who want to use this service, please do the following to use BG's :
- Re-activate handheld on BES, if required.

My service books are greyed out. I'm on a BES any ideas?

I had the same issue. I manually deleted each service book from Options->Advanced->Service Book (on the BB) with the wireless off. Once I did this I was able to use Backup/Restore to get the service books on there.

Ryan8700
04-10-2007, 02:49 PM
I think I'll just wait until it's actually released before I mess around with service books and stuff.

I hope the user who said a Rogers Rep said that we will not be getting MSN is wrong. That's very idiotic as MSN Messenger is the dominant IM program in Canada and accounts for about 70% of IM'ers.

I do think that rep was wrong as our BB's also come pre-loaded with Google Talk, so obviously they can have more than one IM program.

linuxpro
04-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Sorry i didn't see 'post#168'

I apoligise for being blind & stupid "lol"

Sorry

mattbrody
04-10-2007, 02:55 PM
hey matt

try going through your service provider website you can get the service books from them

that's the problem i am not getting anyting from the server...

nike30
04-10-2007, 02:58 PM
that's the problem i am not getting anyting from the server...

Sounds like a call to customer service is required to request them push the service books to you.

vibribbon
04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I think I'll just wait until it's actually released before I mess around with service books and stuff.

I hope the user who said a Rogers Rep said that we will not be getting MSN is wrong. That's very idiotic as MSN Messenger is the dominant IM program in Canada and accounts for about 70% of IM'ers.

I do think that rep was wrong as our BB's also come pre-loaded with Google Talk, so obviously they can have more than one IM program.

I hope the rep was wrong as well. My real motive in calling was to start gently reminding them that there are users out there waiting for this functionality. I had anticipated that I would get a generalized answer about when the service book would be available (Spring Update... or some such), and I probably wouldn't have posted if that had been the case. I was very surprised that he claimed that they would never support it.

It was one of the data support guys, who are often somewhat credible, but it was only one person's comments. I am going to keep hoping that Rogers does the right thing.

Ryan8700
04-10-2007, 03:43 PM
I think I'll call too and I'll tell you what they say. I don't know anyone who uses Yahoo! IM, so it's weird that they chose to preload that one.

I think Blackberry should just release it so it's not up to the carrier which programs are released and when, if thats possible.

Also to the person who said that this was probably a test or something from BlackBerry, that's probably right... maybe they wanted to see how many users on (Rogers, or T-Mobile, or Cingular etc) downloaded MSN or AIM or ICQ.

I can't wait though! Hopefully it comes out before my VeriChat free trial expires :p

coldconfession13
04-10-2007, 03:54 PM
talked to tmobile and they said they might give the service books with a new patch more than likely which will be soon.

QoS
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM
is there anything i could put in for apn settings to make my msn live work on rogers network?

Ryan8700
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Okay i just called rogers. The rep pushed on on service book to me, but it didnt work. He said that Rogers does not have any agreements with Microsoft and is likley not something they are interested in :(

omkhar
04-10-2007, 04:08 PM
That's very idiotic as MSN Messenger is the dominant IM program in Canada and accounts for about 70% of IM'ers.

Ryan8700 - what's your source for this? I was trying to find the same information a couple of weeks ago regarding market penetration of IM progs in Canada and was unable to find it. Where did you get this info?

Ryan8700
04-10-2007, 04:15 PM
I remember reading that on some MSN page that 70@<hidden> of Canadian IMers use MSN. It sounds right to me lol.

But seriously, who uses YIM in Canada?

BB4Life
04-10-2007, 04:58 PM
i can't take this waiting game anymore!

akosnitzky
04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
Anything they can do to get around the service book issue?

snowskier79
04-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Anything they can do to get around the service book issue?
Simply put . . . . no.

akosnitzky
04-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Thank you. I am heistant to follow the suggestion that was posted which suggested we backup an item that put a file in.

graphreak
04-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Thank you. I am hesitant to follow the suggestion that was posted which suggested we backup an item that put a file in.

I just tried it and it is no big deal, really. (y)
Backup step is for safety measure and as it says in brackets,
an (optional step)- to have your data available in case of 'whatever'.
:smile:

But, at this particular moment the IM network seems to be down
as my AIM & ICQ do not want to connect.

abigorbot
04-10-2007, 08:37 PM
But, at this particular moment the IM network seems to be down as my AIM & ICQ do not want to connect.

I've done the restore with the service books the day the post was made about the zip file and haven't been able to connect to AIM or LiveMessenger. Thank goodness for JiveTalk. n_n

nike30
04-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Thank goodness for JiveTalk. n_n

I second that motion! (y)

jibi
04-10-2007, 09:03 PM
For any of you who want them, here are the JAD files from RIM's websites (in case you are unable to download directly from them). They also have the links for the COD files in each (open the JAD file with Notepad or Wordpad or TextPad or whatever else if you want to view it).

LeeT
04-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Okay i just called rogers. The rep pushed on on service book to me, but it didnt work. He said that Rogers does not have any agreements with Microsoft and is likley not something they are interested in :(

I'm having trouble believing that, Rogers will do anything that will have people using more data, remember they are the Robbers network.

lifecast
04-11-2007, 12:57 AM
and I just spent 49 bux on IM+ I should of just waited.

junli68
04-11-2007, 08:18 AM
I tried to follow the instruction to get msn messenger installed on my 8700. My service book is grey in Advanced section. Is there anything I can do? Thanks|

omkhar
04-11-2007, 08:51 AM
I tried to follow the instruction to get msn messenger installed on my 8700. My service book is grey in Advanced section. Is there anything I can do? Thanks|
That means you're on a BES /w a backup policy - look further up in the thread where I post instructions for how to resolve this.... mind you as per the post with the BIG RED LETTERS (#1) it doesn't work anymore

zwheeloc
04-11-2007, 08:59 AM

I am on a BES. Try the following:

1) Go to your Service Books on your Blackberry (Options --> Service Books or Options --> Advanced Options --> Service Books
2) Highlight, Desktop [SYNC]
3) Click thumbwheel in choose Delete
4) Go into Backup/Restore and go into Advanced...
5) Choose File --> Open and open the All_Clients.IPD
6) Choose the client and click the right arrow
7) Choose Undelete from the Blackberry menu to get the Sync back

Hotwax007
04-11-2007, 10:34 AM
This worked for me, however, I get the following error when I try to login...

Connection Error(65):
Problem receiving data from server.

jungleland
04-11-2007, 10:41 AM
This worked for me, however, I get the following error when I try to login...

Connection Error(65):
Problem receiving data from server.

the problem has been covered ad nauseum in this very thread..I wish people would take the time to read

leibdav1
04-11-2007, 10:44 AM
I am using a 7130e on VZW and I am able to get to the signing in screen, it just sits there, and doesn't actually bring up my buddy list. I don't get the error message like everyone else. I have read the posts before this, and didn't see anyone who had similar issues. Sorry if this is a repost of someone else's problem.

Perfect Storm
04-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Follow the instructions in the post above yours. Same issue

Hotwax007
04-11-2007, 10:56 AM
the problem has been covered ad nauseum in this very thread..I wish people would take the time to read

RELAX.... we all want to figure this out.

nike30
04-11-2007, 10:59 AM

Concerning your issue - there isn't anything to figure out. Rim took the servers down, and whenever they come back up - we'll all be peachy (this was explained in the initial post of this thread). You'll get that error message until they decide to fire up the servers again.

Hidea
04-11-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm just wondering, how's the data usage on this thing? Is it a big data hogger? I'm on a 25MB

digitalextremes
04-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Does not work on Rogers Wireless network (yet) I believe there is no data transport service book offered on the Rogers network yet for the Live Messenger, replacing the service books with the ones in the zip above wil not help.

junior1790
04-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Does not work on Rogers Wireless network (yet) I believe there is no data transport service book offered on the Rogers network yet for the Live Messenger, replacing the service books with the ones in the zip above wil not help.
Mods you may have to close the thread until RIM puts it's servers back up, that may be the only way to stop this thread from having 500 posts like this one....

paulbblc
04-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Mods you may have to close the thread until RIM puts it's servers back up, that may be the only way to stop this thread from having 500 posts like this one....

Our main concern is if we close this thread we'll have 90 other threads open about the problems connecting to AIM, MSN and ICQ. It's better to just have all the posts here.

I am, for the most part, just ignoring this thread now though.

jungleland
04-11-2007, 12:08 PM

I'm perfectly relaxed. as for figuring it out, as I said, it was covered in this thread..

Ryan8700
04-11-2007, 02:41 PM
I got on web messenger and AIM today, anyone else?

snowskier79
04-11-2007, 02:43 PM
I got on web messenger and AIM today, anyone else?
Who is your provider? Did you follow the exact steps as jungleland and jibi provided or are you using a different method?

Ryan8700
04-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Rogers, and yes the same method. I just finally got the DS back on my computer so I thought I'd try it - I got on and left it on for a bit but it disconnected, and when I went back on, it stopped working. Its not working now.

woobie the three
04-11-2007, 04:35 PM
So heres a funny thing, that happened when i changed the service books, besides allowing the new IM clients to work (however briefly) it also took away the ability for me to choose between "on handheld" or "on mailbox and handheld" when i went to delete messages from my phone. It just gave me the option to "delete" or "cancel"

I have reverted to original service books and will wait till these are official releases, (since they are not working anymore anyway). these are the kind of bugs that 'hopefully' will disappear in an official rollout.

good luck - and if anyone figures a way to fix this before the real release , and the IM clients are working again. drop me a line

paulbblc
04-11-2007, 05:12 PM
So heres a funny thing, that happened when i changed the service books, besides allowing the new IM clients to work (however briefly) it also took away the ability for me to choose between "on handheld" or "on mailbox and handheld" when i went to delete messages from my phone. It just gave me the option to "delete" or "cancel"

I have reverted to original service books and will wait till these are official releases, (since they are not working anymore anyway). these are the kind of bugs that 'hopefully' will disappear in an official rollout.

good luck - and if anyone figures a way to fix this before the real release , and the IM clients are working again. drop me a line

Nice catch. I am just noticing this too.

supermanfan
04-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Nice catch. I am just noticing this too.

On Mailbox and Handheld option is still on my Sprint 8703e after service book install.

caggarcia
04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
This might just be fluff from RIM but I've been in contact with them and this is the email they just sent me:

Hi Carlos,

We just received communication pertaining to MSN/AIM/ICQ that you referenced earlier.

We have officially announced these services but they have not become a production service yet.

Currently there is no ETA of when it will be released and is dependant on your wireless service provider accepting it.

Please check with your wireless service provider for up-to-date information on this issue.

Have a nice day Carlos.

Respectfully,

Jill
BlackBerry Customer Support
Research In Motion Limited
Tel:
NA Toll Free: 1-877-255-2377
UK Toll Free: 0808 100 7466
Europe: +44 1753 558400
Worldwide: +1-519-888-6181
Email: help@<hidden>
Web: BlackBerry (http://www.blackberry.com)

Ryan8700
04-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Nice to know that they're atleast acknowledging it Carlos!

Seems like it's comming soon then.

paulbblc
04-11-2007, 05:34 PM
This might just be fluff from RIM but I've been in contact with them and this is the email they just sent me:

I wouldn't take that as fluff. Sounds pretty truthful to me anyway.

Dewars
04-11-2007, 06:07 PM
I downloaded the AIM and ICQ clients yesterday on my VZW 8703e. I just tried to download them on my friends VZW 8703e and now there is a notice on the download page:

"Notice
Sorry, your wireless service provider does not support AOL Instant Messenger for BlackBerry at this time."

With that VZW users can not download any of the clients. I have them installed with the service books. I wounder when the server comes back online if I will be able to use them since I already have them installed. Or will VZW somehow block it somehow.

cliffr39
04-11-2007, 06:36 PM
I downloaded the AIM and ICQ clients yesterday on my VZW 8703e. I just tried to download them on my friends VZW 8703e and now there is a notice on the download page:

"Notice
Sorry, your wireless service provider does not support AOL Instant Messenger for BlackBerry at this time."....

I get that too now. Funny, oh well

payroll
04-11-2007, 08:54 PM
I am also getting that. Can anyone upload the AIM file for us to download?

Boy Genius
04-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Well, looks like T-Mobile has updated the service books, if your on T-Mobile with an 8800 try deleting just the IM service books, and then sending them again. The UIDs and everything is different and AIM connects, atleast on a friends unit. Will post an updated service book backup file shortly. Still testing this out...

Update: The new service books have different gateway IP's aswell.

payroll
04-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Where can we now download the AIM though, if we do not have T-Mobile?
Thanks!