PDA

View Full Version : Very strange thing happening! I get calls, I answer them, then it dials someone else.

Plinkerton
04-09-2007, 09:56 PM
So, in the last couple days, I've been getting phone calls from local numbers.

I pick it up, I don't here anything for a second, then I hear an automated voice say, "Connecting" then the other line is ringing, like when you call someone.

The person on the other end pics up, says "hello" and I say, You just called me.

And they say, "I did? You just called me!"

I google the numbers, and they're local businesses.

What the hell is going on?

Did someone enter my name on some online thing that does this stuff? I really don't have any enemies. I'm a nice guy.

But, what kind of program, telemarketer thing, would dial my number, then connect me to a business that doesn't want to talk to me?

Today, I got another one, figured it was probably that, and let it go to voicemail. The voice in the voicemail said, "Hello? Hel.... Hello? This isn't a fax line." and then they hung up.

So, even if it goes to my voicemail, it still dials them.

Does anyone know what I would call this, so I can google it, and try to find out what could be causing it?

And the numbers that call, are local businesses that I've never had any affiliation with. Churches, strip clubs, weird stuff. I don't go to church, I don't go to strip clubs, etc.

It's really odd.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I'll add. So far, this has happened maybe 5 times. Most of the time, it's from the Spearmint Rhino. The "gentlemans" club. If I had been there, I'd admit it. I have NEVER been there, or put my number on anything from there, etc.

One call today, came from a church. I never go to church.

Just thought I'd add that.

nuopus
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
So, in the last couple days, I've been getting phone calls from local numbers.

I pick it up, I don't here anything for a second, then I hear an automated voice say, "Connecting" then the other line is ringing, like when you call someone.

The person on the other end pics up, says "hello" and I say, You just called me.

And they say, "I did? You just called me!"

I google the numbers, and they're local businesses.

What the hell is going on?

Did someone enter my name on some online thing that does this stuff? I really don't have any enemies. I'm a nice guy.

But, what kind of program, telemarketer thing, would dial my number, then connect me to a business that doesn't want to talk to me?

Today, I got another one, figured it was probably that, and let it go to voicemail. The voice in the voicemail said, "Hello? Hel.... Hello? This isn't a fax line." and then they hung up.

So, even if it goes to my voicemail, it still dials them.

Does anyone know what I would call this, so I can google it, and try to find out what could be causing it?

And the numbers that call, are local businesses that I've never had any affiliation with. Churches, strip clubs, weird stuff. I don't go to church, I don't go to strip clubs, etc.

It's really odd.

EDIT: Oh, I guess I'll add. So far, this has happened maybe 5 times. Most of the time, it's from the Spearmint Rhino. The "gentlemans" club. If I had been there, I'd admit it. I have NEVER been there, or put my number on anything from there, etc.

One call today, came from a church. I never go to church.

Just thought I'd add that.

LOL someone is pulling a prank on you! I use local.google.com all the time, and when you look for something, like a business, you can click on the call link. It asks you what phone number to use, and then it dials that number. When it calls you, a male voice says "connecting" and it dials the business from local.google.com. Although, when you FIRST use it, it announces itself as google and you press 1 to accept. Then it doesnt do that anymore.

My guess is that someone used it once on you ... and you got that first, and you hit 1. Then they keep doing it as a prank.

test54
04-11-2007, 12:55 PM
sounds like a good gag for a tv show or radio show. sounds funny as hell, hmm might have to try it with some friends.

Plinkerton
04-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Yeah, it's hilarious to argue with strippers about who called who... :)

Thanks for the idea though. I had no idea that such a thing existed. It's not happening that often, and I'm sure it's just one of my stupid friends, but nonetheless, it's been a bit annoying...

So thanks, I've emailed google, and am seeing if they can do anything.

See ya,
Plink