PDA

View Full Version : Fascist locked down BES!

nickdrums
04-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Well, I've browsed and searched, but not quite found an answer to my question, so here goes ...

I have jot got my first BB, which is from a large corporate - it comes fully locked down by the fun police, so the browser and phone don't work, and anything else is a struggle.

However, to my surprise, I HAVE managed to set up BIS access to my personal IMAP account, and now personal emails get pushed to the BB. This was via the web interface offered by my service provider - O2.

Two questions:

1. I'm assuming that there's NOT a way to mirror deletion of my personal IMAP messages from the BB back to the IMAP server?

2. Probably due to the lock-down, I don't have the ability to send from anything other than my work email address on the BB - even if I reply to a message which was sent to my personal email address. I've tried two variants - one using the address set up as an IMAP account, and one using the BIS address from my service provider, but all replies from the BB are still from my work address - can anyone see a way around this?

All suggestions welcome, but there's little point suggesting that I speak to the admins at work - they are like Tony Soprano but without the playful side ... :razz:

Help much appreciated ... Nick.

penguin3107
04-12-2007, 05:55 PM
1. Correct.

2. Probably not. I would imagine that your BIS mail will probably disappear soon too. If your BES admins locked down the phone and broswer... then they probably meant to lock down BIS as well. Probably just an oversight on their part.

As you indicate there is little point in speaking to your BES admins... there's probably even less of a point of you asking people here to circumvent their policies. Most people in this group here will side with the admin rather than the end user.

ezrunner
04-12-2007, 06:00 PM
True you won't find many here wanting to help or supporting those who wish to circumvent a corporate IT policy on the BB. their device their rules. I do sympathize with you just stating what I know from experience on the forums

stonent
04-12-2007, 08:34 PM
I had a BB at a government job that had a lot of military people there as well. They had over-the-air downloads blocked as well as yahoo messenger and a requirement to have a number in the password. I was able to load some apps but only using the active x loader where you plug in and have an app pushed into your phone via the browser. That's how I loaded Yahoo messenger, but the service books were blocked so it didn't do me any good.

omkhar
04-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8703e: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/109)

Its frustrating to heard this from the other side. An end user is complaining they can't answer their PERSONAL email on a CORPORATE asset. Wow how unreasonable!? Seriously, if you paid for your own bb, and they locked it down, then you may have an argument (but then why are you using a personal asset for corp mail?). There is a fairly simple assumption. You're using a device to receive corp confidential email, then the corp will control security settings. Period. Otherwise silly end (l)users do security ignorant things and compromise security. Long story short, aint gonna happen. Buy your own.

stonent
04-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Sarbanes Oxley.... :)

Dubdub
04-12-2007, 09:41 PM
I think if you valued your job, you wouldn't want to try to circumvent the policies, no matter how much you think they are unfair. I am sure there is good reason for things being as they are.

If you need your email that badly, I suggest you get such a device just for your personal email and surfing and etc.

John Clark
04-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Geez people, take it easy! It's his first post, he asked a question. Just give an answer without all the attitude. I know I'd be upset if my IT locked down the BES so hard too. We all know why they do it but it's still a bummer and we all know it.

The reality is there ISN'T a way to circumvent the policies pushed to the device as long as it's connected to the BES. There is a remove IT policy thread (which actually just loads a more liberal policy to the device) but even if you tried the procedure your BES's policy would be pushed back as soon as you reconnect to the BES. So, unfortunatly, there's no way around it.

~John

MegaMan X
04-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I would just give up now and spare your sweat for something else

John Clark
04-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Enough.

* Thread Closed *