PDA

View Full Version : Getting a MAP on an 8800 device

gotanyinfo
04-13-2007, 07:04 AM
I have received a new 8800 device but the MAP section only shows grid lines but no MAP. Can anyone advise on how you get/upload map's to the device as there doesn't seem to be an option in the menu.
Thanks..

xombi
04-13-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi,

You are probably just missing the TCP settings for your carrier, if you go into settings or options on the main screen of your BlackBerry (quite often a spanner icon, but it depends on the theme) then go into advanced options, you should see an option that states TCP go into it and if it's blank or says internet.com for the APN then you need to find out the TCP settings for you carriers gprs network and fill them in here. Once you have done this and saved them it's advised to pull the battery from the device for a minute and then when you reboot hopefully it will work.

This is because the Maps app uses data so needs access to the network.

takeshi
04-13-2007, 08:27 AM
You can't currently "load" maps onto your BB. All current GPS solutions require downloading maps on the fly.

I'd actually suggest using a different GPS app as BBmaps isn't too good IMO. However, if you're having data issues you'll need to get those resolved first.

gotanyinfo
04-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Cheers Xombi,
I had the TCP settings in already but I have since reset the device also. When I 'start GPS' from the menu it comes up searching for satallites but then fails with the error 'Unable to acquire a GPS lock'.

gotanyinfo
04-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Thanks Also Takeshi,
I can browse on the internet fine so maybe it is the app itself on the BB. Hate when things are sold with the device and don't work!!!

test54
04-13-2007, 09:07 AM
he is in Ireland, should that affect the maps?

digitalextremes
04-13-2007, 09:28 AM
1) You should be outdoors (thats what might be causing the BB not to acquire sats.

2) you need BB Data Plan or Internet Plan (I think what you are seeing as grids and a map that the device is trying to download but cannot because there is not data connection.

funkym
04-13-2007, 11:37 AM
You can't currently "load" maps onto your BB. All current GPS solutions require downloading maps on the fly.

Actually it seems that is not true. Spot (http://www.skylab-mobilesystems.com/en/products/spot_8800.html) says it supports maps that are stored on the device's SD card...

File system access for BlackBerry OS 4.2 devices: static map image imports, waypoint file imports (LOC & GPX) and exports (GPX).

Did anyone try that yet?

digitalextremes
04-13-2007, 01:12 PM
They let you import/export static maps in the app or from the app. I don't think they mean to say that the whole application including the whole map of City/Country can be stored on the SD Card.

wdaveweaver
05-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Has anyone resolved this as I have an 8800 as well and have GPS enabled but only get grid lines on the map when viewing. It does show my speed (MPH) and direction (compass) and is connected to 5 sats but the map is blank. Any ideas?

Workingmen
05-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I had the same display of just MPH and direction on a recent trip and found that this occurred when I was in a rural area where I did not have an EDGE connection. The GPS needs the sats and the map display needs the data connection. When I got in an EDGE area, the map displayed correctly.

wdaveweaver
05-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Fixed it as I just needed to change my TCP settings from internet.com to wap.voicestream.com and it worked. Does anyone know if this is the most recent APN or if I need a newer one for TMobile?

JSanders
05-11-2007, 07:47 AM
wap.voicestream.com is the correct and most recent APN setting for TMo.

Good to go.

kneyens
05-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Don't forget to check out the GPS forum

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-mapping/65780-8800-google-maps-telenav-bbmaps-links.html

takeshi
05-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Actually it seems that is not true. Spot (http://www.skylab-mobilesystems.com/en/products/spot_8800.html) says it supports maps that are stored on the device's SD card...

From their site:
static map image imports
...doesn't sound very useful for GPS navigation.

Stinsonddog
05-12-2007, 07:51 PM
From their site:

...doesn't sound very useful for GPS navigation.

My GPS site has a link for how to add a Map with SPOT. I have not tried it.