PDA

View Full Version : internet/tzones connection question...calling all experts

MegaMan X
04-15-2007, 03:13 AM
this was taken from another thread, but wasn't answered...

If you have BIS/MDS then nothing save email and a few syncronization abilities (OTA sync), I however do not have BIS with my plan, I'm on a pure cellular phone plan (literally pulled my SIM out of my phone and put it in my BB, nothing more), so the only intenet access I have is using opera mini, which looks for ANY avalible TCP connection. Most of the 3rd party BB apps run through or install through the BB browser, which refuses to do anything because I lack the Browser servicebooks.

I'm acctually looking at it more for the BIS/MDS hosting than the BES (every single email I have has a webmail login avalible) but, it's a package deal, or I pay $40 a month IN ADDITION to my phone plan for BIS, I dont have that kind of money laying around every month (I'm acctually going to be canceling my Napster subscription to pay for BES/MDS hosting --- though for me it's really a much better deal since I use it a hellova lot more than I used Napster --- and I'll still have an extra $5 a month left over!)

ok, i'm just interested in what i bolded in the quote above....basically I do have a blackberry pearl, and on top of my voice line, i have the $19.99 tmo unlimited add on - on top. gives me internet access and everything

my sister liked my blackberry, i was thinking, she has tzones on her plan, and i told her she can't get internet anyway but with the bb add-on.

can she actually use opera mini on my blackberry??!

hope i was clear on what i'm asking. her sim card in a blackberry, using opera mini....will she get internet?!

Dubdub
04-15-2007, 08:17 AM
As far as I know, in order to have Internet and email on a BB, you must have a BB dataplan. However, I have seen a few posts saying all they have is mini opera and can get an Internet connection. One question I have is have they been hit with a data charge?

MegaMan X
04-15-2007, 11:22 AM
this is a confirmation for T-Mobile Customers with the T-Mobile Web Plan ($5.99)

So, on another blackberry pearl, I put a SIM card in there that only had the $5.99 plan on it, and like a miracle, Opera Mini works!

I did setup up the TCP APN to wap.voicestream.com, and seems like opera mini does indeed look for ANY data connection avaliable!

MegaMan X
04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The new jive talk with auto configuration for network settings also works with 5.99 plan too!