PDA

View Full Version : How to lock keys?

InGearX
04-17-2007, 06:23 PM
PHONE:
At times I have found my 8703e calling contacts by accidental key presses

(all you need to do is hit the long top green key connect three times in a row and BB will dial last person :( )

Many of my phones prevented this by locking the keys after x minutes - and I had to hit "*" + "send" to unlock it or so...

With 8703 I need to set up and entire password of 4+ digits in order to unlock it every time :(

What are our options in taking a measure against this?

I wish there I was a program that would just lock it after x minutes and all I would need to do is press "*" " "send" to unlock it...

I would also be glad to press some code every time - prior to calling out - because I call so rarely from the phone...

I have even found my phone in a 5 minute conversation with "0" that will cost me some $

EMAIL:
I have also found my e-mail drafts deleted :( as all it takes is 3 accidental key presses - if back key is pressed against a surface - device will ask "Discard" and then a key above it will discard it :( this is horrifying...

Also what can we do to prevent this?

OPTIONS:
There is already a perfect "Keyboard Lock" on the device - that I have even mapped to the left side button (bellow the USB/power plug) - but I all I would want is for it to kick in after 2 minutes on it's own - without me pressing the button every time...

Another option is to have the security password application kick in - but it I need to enter a 4+ character password EVERY time I want to write something down ? :(

So as you can see - it's almost there one doesn't kick in automatically after x minutes, another needs 4+ characters to unlock it every time...

Please help...

Thank you all...

JSanders
04-18-2007, 05:22 PM
AND the option of LOCK HANDHELD UPON HOLSTERING, located at Options > Security > General Settings > Lock Handheld Upon Holstering = YES, and then keep your phone in its intended holster when you are not using it.

I don't know of a option you are looking for, third-party application, etc., there could be one.

pspiegel
05-09-2007, 12:37 AM
did anyone ever come up with a solution for this? i don't want to have to enter a password, but i want it to lock out after x amount of time..

Galvatron
05-09-2007, 02:30 AM
you have to enter a password that is your key lock
you have to do the same thing with other phones if you wan"t to lock the keys

dkf747
05-09-2007, 06:47 AM
To get it to lock after, say 5 minutes, you must have a password. Only other option is use one of the convenience keys to lock it manually, or turn off "Dial from home screen" in phone > options and then use the "k" key to lock it. No need for password with those options.

Galvatron
05-09-2007, 07:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yeabut those are technicly passwords still.and to an avid phon phreak no to hard to defeat.

bbckm
05-09-2007, 07:58 AM
PHONE:
At times I have found my 8703e calling contacts by accidental key presses

Are you keeping your phone in your pocket without a holster? The holster that comes with the BB covers the screen and keyboard so there are no accidental keystrokes, and puts your phone in standby mode thereby increasing battery life (all while protecting your screen!)

Is there a reason you aren't using the holster?

mikadad
05-09-2007, 08:12 AM
did anyone ever come up with a solution for this? i don't want to have to enter a password, but i want it to lock out after x amount of time..

I found this on the web, it says its for the PEARL but I have been using it on my 8700c for months and works just great. locks after a specified time.

AutoLock (BlackBerry) - Download (http://autolock.en.softonic.com/blackberry)

jhkaplan
05-09-2007, 08:44 AM
I found out if you hold down the alt:alt: key and the enter :enter: key, it will lock your phone.

OrganicBerry
05-10-2007, 05:47 AM
I keep mine in my pocket without a holster ( i wear jeans to work)....adn the password/lock is the only way to keep from accidentally dialing. The regular lock function gets "unlocked" with 2 clicks of the enter key....not very good.

dkf747
05-10-2007, 12:48 PM
The regular lock function gets "unlocked" with 2 clicks of the enter key....not very good.

Not on my BB. It takes 2 clicks of the wheel to unlock on mine.

OrganicBerry
05-11-2007, 05:07 AM
Not on my BB. It takes 2 clicks of the wheel to unlock on mine.

That's probably the only thing I don't like about the 8703e. If it would unlock ONLY using the clickwheel, I'd be fine. But using the password worked out ok, even if it is a minor annoyance.

dkf747
05-11-2007, 07:01 AM
That's probably the only thing I don't like about the 8703e. If it would unlock ONLY using the clickwheel, I'd be fine. But using the password worked out ok, even if it is a minor annoyance.

My wife is waiting for her 8703e (Sprint) to arrive. I'll see if it behaves differently from my 8700g, but I suspect it doesn't.

InGearX
05-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Are you keeping your phone in your pocket without a holster? The holster that comes with the BB covers the screen and keyboard so there are no accidental keystrokes, and puts your phone in standby mode thereby increasing battery life (all while protecting your screen!)

Is there a reason you aren't using the holster?

I keep my BB in my pants pocket

(and very often jot things down/todo/... so the holster makes the BB very BIG to fit in my pocket - and in addition adds the access time...)

InGearX
05-13-2007, 03:59 PM
I found this on the web, it says its for the PEARL but I have been using it on my 8700c for months and works just great. locks after a specified time.

AutoLock (BlackBerry) - Download (http://autolock.en.softonic.com/blackberry)

Seems like exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you!

Galvatron
05-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Clip the holster outside your pants pocket.