PDA

View Full Version : 8800 in China

mjozwiak1856
04-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I am planning on traveling to China in a couple of weeks and I am wondering if I switch over to international roaming, will my new 8800 from Cingular work over there?

Thanks in advance

cschrage
04-19-2007, 12:18 PM
Yes, you will have service with a roaming partner.
http://www.cingular.com/travelguide/coverage/roaming/step1.jsp?CIDL=&CTN=&MNC=&DID1=&DID2=&devicenum=1&STEP=1

Always check for service WHERE you will be traveling in China.

It would be a good idea to also activate the INT roaming plan for $69.99 a month.

mjozwiak1856
04-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Thank you!!!

thielsa
04-19-2007, 12:25 PM
It will work fine as long as you have international dialing turned on. I was all over the eastern half of China about a month ago with my 8800 and had coverage everywhere. I would definitely suggest that you turn on Cingular's International Roaming Feature as it reduces your per minute charges. You will pay for the feature after one international trip. Even with that, I would try to do as much via e-mail (no attachments to reduce data) versus voice because the cost/minute on voice is ridiculous. Have a good trip.

sslbun
04-26-2007, 09:09 PM
if you're going to need to talk a lot on your cell in china, I'd recommend getting a prepaid sim card from china-mobile-phones.com. I've used them several times and the service is great. They deliver a prepaid sim card to your hotel the day you arrive with your own china cell number. the first time I went to china, i came back home to a $1K phone bill. Using this service, I paid basically what locals pay for cell service. Also, if you use this service and buy calling cards off the street, you can save even more by getting a much lower international dialing rate. btw, you need an unlocked phone to do this.

BerryMan101
04-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I am planning on traveling to China in a couple of weeks and I am wondering if I switch over to international roaming, will my new 8800 from Cingular work over there?

Thanks in advance

Yes, but get it unlocked and buy a china SIM for intra china calls.