PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to password protect emails/sms only?

nickc_04
04-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Hi, is it possible to password protect your emails/sms folder without setting a password on the entire device? when im driving and need to use the phone its tideous having to enter in a password to do that, but i need my e-mails and sms messages to be password protected. is this possible on the 8700? if so how?

NJBlackBerry
04-20-2007, 04:53 PM
Sorry; nope...

snowskier79
04-20-2007, 04:54 PM
With the 8700 new v4.2 OS you can do outgoing calls while the device is locked. Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8700-series-discussion/73367-8700-gsm-only-blackberry-handheld-software-v4-2-1-126-4-2-1-85-english-chinese.html

snowskier79
04-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Sorry; nope...

Here is a screenshot

plchan
04-20-2007, 08:08 PM
Here is a screenshot

It seems your answer does not address what the OP's issue is, but that is a good to know I could make calls while the phone is locked.

At least, I do not seem how the solution would resolve about the password protect emails / sms.

snowskier79
04-20-2007, 11:17 PM
It seems your answer does not address what the OP's issue is, but that is a good to know I could make calls while the phone is locked.

At least, I do not seem how the solution would resolve about the password protect emails / sms.

Actually my posts do address the OP's issue:

Hi, is it possible to password protect your emails/sms folder without setting a password on the entire device? when im driving and need to use the phone its tideous having to enter in a password to do that, but i need my e-mails and sms messages to be password protected. is this possible on the 8700? if so how?

So if I am reading this correctly the basis for his post is to password protect email/sms etc (basically the entire device) but let him have the functionality to use the phone should the device lock without having to entire a password while driving.

If he installs v4.2 onto his 8700 (with the link I provided) he will then enable this functionality into his security options by allowing outgoing calls while the device is locked (see attached screenshot).

So I ask how I did not address the OP issue? Maybe you are reading into his question/inquiry differently than I did.

Cheers!

nickc_04
04-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks you did answer my question. I wanted to be able to make outgoing calls while the phone was locked. cheers for the info!

Actually my posts do address the OP's issue:

So if I am reading this correctly the basis for his post is to password protect email/sms etc (basically the entire device) but let him have the functionality to use the phone should the device lock without having to entire a password while driving.

If he installs v4.2 onto his 8700 (with the link I provided) he will then enable this functionality into his security options by allowing outgoing calls while the device is locked (see attached screenshot).

So I ask how I did not address the OP issue? Maybe you are reading into his question/inquiry differently than I did.

Cheers!

dak244
04-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Idiot... why even say it, even if you were right. It's just a rude thing to say. At least he tried, you did not.

NJBlackBerry
04-23-2007, 01:20 PM
UNCALLED FOR RESPONSE. Poster warned.

joespys
04-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Idiot... why even say it, even if you were right. It's just a rude thing to say. At least he tried, you did not.

Thank you for addressing that - we do not need rude comments and they have no place in this forum.