PDA

View Full Version : Korean Character & Font on 8800?

cupidchild
04-23-2007, 02:01 PM
On my 8703e (Verizon) and on my Friend's 8700 (T-mobile)
we both got 4.1 OS with Korean Characters & Font Support.

Thus we can read at least read Korean Fonts.

Just got 8800 from Cingular. Running 4.2 OS
Is there a way to get the same Korean Font Support?

I download the 4.2 Multilanguage Pack (160MB) from Blackberry's
website, didn't seem to do anything except upgrade my
BB Desktop Manager.

Any help would be appreciated along with direction on OS upgrade or
may be even possible OS download. I am willingly to go down to using
4.1 OS if I will get Korean Font support and if it will work w/8800

thanks
Young

JSanders
04-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Young, open your Desktop Manager with your 8800 connected. Click on Application Loader. Look for the Korean Characters and Font support, and Languages.

cupidchild
04-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Young, open your Desktop Manager with your 8800 connected. Click on Application Loader. Look for the Korean Characters and Font support, and Languages.

When I open up the Desktop manager's Application Loader, I do not see Korean Character & Font support.

JSanders
04-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Did you click on ADD? Sorry I forgot to add that earlier.

If still nothing, go to your carrier's website, download the the latest OS version. Expand and open it. Then try App Loader and ADD.

Did you look on your BB itself for the Korean? Options > Languages?

cupidchild
04-23-2007, 02:53 PM
Went to Cingular -> download latest Multi-Language pack and ran the EXE which updated the Desktop manager and but didn't do anything to 8800 when I sync-ed it up.. I guess its probably b/c I already have the latest OS on it.

Under OPTIONS-> Languages. You won't see Korean.

Its just Korean Character & FONT support, meaning you can decode & read it and not able to INPUT. (Well there is way around this by cutting & pasting from existing character that comes in thru PIN & Email)

Even on my 8700g & 8703e, there isn't Korean options under OPTIONS -> Language. You will see it under: ADVANCE OPTIONS -> APPLICATIONS -> BLACKBERRY Korean Character & Font Support 4.1

I see two ways this might work:
1. Force downgrade of 8800 4.2 OS to 4.1 OS
2. IF 4.2 Multi-language pack has Korean Fonts, some how to load this on to the 8800 device.

JerryD
04-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Sorry for the delay in replying to you (here or your PM). I'm assuming that you're a Cingular customer. If you're not, let me know and I'll edit this to include the correct link for your provider.
any BlackBerry software you have installed - unless it's EXACTLY what is prescribed in the following. If you're in doubt, uninstall it. If asked to remove user settings, select Yes (check the box).
Download and install BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.2 SP1 (Multilanguage) (https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22).
Download and install Cingular BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.1.109 (Multilanguage) (https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4) - this is actually version 4.2.1.72 of the OS - the number noted is the package version.
Run Desktop Manager and start the Application Loader (if it doesn't start on it's own). It will bring up a list of modules that are installed (checked) and not installed (unchecked). There you should see the option for Korean Input and Fonts. If you don't see it at first, click the + to the left to expand options and you should (I HOPE!). Check the appropriate boxes and proceed.You should be set now.

cupidchild
04-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Tried it but no Korean font option. I heard from one other person that only 4.1 has korean/chinese font & language support for now. 4.2 multi-languages we tried doesn't have anything. :(