PDA

View Full Version : Are there any GPS mapping software that stores maps on the 8800?

trojanvision
04-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I am looking for a software for GPS mapping that stores the maps on the 8800 while offering turn-by-turn driving directions like TomTom or ALK's CoPilot on the Pocket PC/Windows Mobile platform. I know there are OTA maps and mapping software that downloads and refreshes maps as data changes, but I just want a one-time purchase and not have to worry about cell reception while navigating through unfamiliar territory.

Thanks.

takeshi
04-24-2007, 12:09 AM
There are none so far.

Stinsonddog
04-24-2007, 12:17 AM
read my GPS tips page. Mapquest is supposed to avoid DL's after the intial one by DLing more at the start. No SD card based products yet except SPOT which is not really for driving.

8800_Wo_data_plan
06-21-2007, 12:18 PM
As my username said, I am without data plan:cry: , I've read the great tips from Stinsonddog pages, but (may be 'cause I am french ;-) I have'nt notice the mapquest subtility !
a french guys (here => PDAFrance Forums - Solution GPS pour BlackBerry 8800 ? (http://www.pdafrance.com/pdaforum/showthread.php?postid=1049623#post1049623) ) told that CoPilot 7 will permit the off-line GPS without O.T.A.
If not i will change to another PDA as I bought this one for this very cool interface, its integer GPS function but also its non-windows interface... but i begin to regret my purchase :oops: !
I will follow that with big interrest and check the "Mapquest supposition" :razz:

Dubdub
06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
You really need a data plan. The BB just doesn't have the internal memory to also support a map database as well as everything else.

8800_Wo_data_plan
06-21-2007, 03:52 PM
I understand the problem and the only solution :-(
I hope that in the future Blackberry or someone else will find the solution/extension/etc to use the microSD and some other company provide the solution to use the GPS from the microSD.
If not, why make the possibility to put a 2Go card on it, to have some music ? :?

Dubdub
06-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I understand the problem and the only solution :-(
I hope that in the future Blackberry or someone else will find the solution/extension/etc to use the microSD and some other company provide the solution to use the GPS from the microSD.
If not, why make the possibility to put a 2Go card on it, to have some music ? :?

Music and photos only.

8800_Wo_data_plan
06-21-2007, 04:26 PM
I really miss these feature when i bought it ! :-(
But it's so beautiful ...:razz:

8800_Wo_data_plan
07-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Hello all,

Any news for an "non-OTA" (or "off-air", I think ?) GPS software :razz: ?
Did I need to change for another smartphone at least for this lake (excepting the fact where you can not install/play any software from the microSD card) :oops: ?
Jul

gibber9583
07-03-2007, 08:11 AM
No news, there is no software that loads maps on the SD card. SD card is for media only.

8800_Wo_data_plan
07-03-2007, 03:08 PM
SD card is for media only.

Yes.. ok :cry:

But I still hope that someday (Can I say "some hour" ? ;-)) it will hapen !

Wait and see.. :? :cry:

Sniperet
07-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Copilot 6 has been ported to Windows Smartphones and Windows Mobile on the Motorola Q. For the Q everything comes on a 1GB SD card so I don't think it would be a far stretch if ALK wanted to invest in porting to Blackberry using the same SD card method. I used Copilot Laptop for years but I'm not sure I would want to try to deal with any mapping program on a 240 x 320 pixel screen. I'll stick with the 14" computer LCD or the 10" one built into my Maxima.

gibber9583
07-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I know of plenty of GPS software that loaded from SD cards for PPC/WinMo, but this is an entirely different platform(I used to use XV6700). Currently there are none, and to my understanding, there are none in development to load from SD.

8800_Wo_data_plan
07-03-2007, 04:00 PM
I know of plenty of GPS software that loaded from SD cards for PPC/WinMo, but this is an entirely different platform(I used to use XV6700). Currently there are none, and to my understanding, there are none in development to load from SD.

You're right, it's a completely different plateform !

But As it can show image, play music and vidéos, it should access the map directly from the SD, no ?

gibber9583
07-03-2007, 04:08 PM
I'd imagine its possible...But I am unfamiliar with technical limitations of what goes on behind the scenes.