PDA

View Full Version : new blackberry user with 7290

jezf
04-29-2005, 08:28 AM
hi just purchased an unlocked blackberry 7290 on ebay. however, i am now told that i need to sign up with a contract with a dedicated data sim card that can push the emails to the device.

now i understand this concept, but i have a few pay as you go sim cards from different countries, all have gprs enabled. now i know the "push" email service will not work with these sim cards, but is it possible for me to plug one of these sim cards into the blackberry, and actively myself peridodically tell the blackberry to check my emails when its suits me over gprs (sort of like using the send/receive button in ms outlook), as opposed to the "push" method when they are delivered in real time ???

any help will be greatly appreciated.

udontknowjack
04-29-2005, 08:32 AM
If they have GPRS enabled, I would think you could get email via "push". Basically, you just need data access to the wireless network which GPRS is the data network.

jezf
04-29-2005, 08:38 AM
If they have GPRS enabled, I would think you could get email via "push". Basically, you just need data access to the wireless network which GPRS is the data network.

thanks for the quick reply

i just rang a store in london (i live in the uk) and they said to use the "push" method, i need a dedicated contract sim card which is registered to RIM together with my POP3 details. apparently RIM handle the push email method, i.e. when an email is received at my inbox, the server at RIM (which has my POP3 username and password) is notified, and this email is pushed to my blackberry, wherever it is in the world.

now how would push work with my pay as you go sim cards, if no server in these countries are notified of my POP3 username and password?

thanks, sorry if my knowledge is ignorant!

Sighless
04-30-2005, 07:39 PM
you need the blackberry.net apn activated on your sim to uttilizie any push/pull messages

tafische
04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Cant be done with a pay-as-you-go sim card. Because of the blackberry infrastructure design, you must have a blackberry plan with the provider.

On the positive side, your phone will still work :)