PDA

View Full Version : Alternative PIM Programs?

Shamrock
05-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Howdy,

I just recently left my position to laptop/crackberry it through my start-up. My LapTop is newer and has XP but has the ancient Office 2000. I am not overly fond of Outlook, or Microsoft in general, but you miss the look of the newer Outlook.

I am an avid user of OpenOffice but they do not have a PIM program to my knowledge. What are people using as Outlook alternatives?
Brendan

JSanders
05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Please read this for further info and other PIM apps...
BlackBerry - BlackBerry - Sys Req V4-2 Pack 1 (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/req_4dot2_sp1.jsp)

Good luck. Mine works seamlessly with MS Outlook.

LunkHead
05-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Us Linux users are reduced to Syncje.... Check the sticky in the Linux Users are for more info.....

Open Office ROCKS! :)

JSanders
05-01-2007, 05:27 PM
(LunkNumbskullHead, you will be happy to know I just installed a new Linux backup server in my office...((well two months ago, it took the guy that long to figure out the configuration to accept both MAC and Windows connections--long story)).)

Now, back your regularly scheduled thread. Sorry.

LunkHead
05-01-2007, 05:28 PM
(LunkNumbskullHead, you will be happy to know I just installed a new Linux backup server in my office...((well two months ago, it took the guy that long to figure out the configuration to accept both MAC and Windows connections--long story)).)

Now, back your regularly scheduled thread. Sorry.

I wish they would let me change my user name to NumbSkull!!!!

Shamrock
05-02-2007, 10:08 AM
Please read this for further info and other PIM apps...
BlackBerry - BlackBerry - Sys Req V4-2 Pack 1 (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/req_4dot2_sp1.jsp)

Good luck. Mine works seamlessly with MS Outlook.

Howdy,

Does that mean we thumbers are confined to Lotus, Act or Novell?

JSanders
05-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Nope, export to ASCII and you can import to most any program, much more difficult, but... plus Lunk's suggestion above, you have many choices.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending RIM... but since a great great majority of users use one of those 4 PIMs they support, they go where the majority is. Likewise, MAC users get real bumbed out, rightfully so, because RIM does not support a direct interface with MAC desktops.