PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, only emergency calls are allowed

jasonjordan
04-30-2005, 12:45 AM
Howdy,

Theres a lot more to this story - but I'll start with the Readers Digest version and tell the rest if necessary as it's a sad and sordid tale!

I bought a used 7730 some weeks ago via eBay. I got all the associated documentation indicating the seller was the true owner. However, the goofball negated to disconnect from the Telstra Network before sending me the BB.

I'm on Vodafone - so I stuck my SIM in, called Vodafone and of course - they couldn't register me until we removed the prior PIN association.

This was eventually completed and data works just fine - I get emails and the BWC is all just dandy. The problem is - if you try to call ANY number you get "Sorry, only emergency calls are allowed".

My SIM works perfectly in any other phone. I have tried other SIMs in the 7730 and they all say the same thing.

Vodafone Tech Support (I suspect) have reached the limit of what they can do - and I think that maybe only RIM can help.

Is there any thing we may have missed? We have checked to see if any call-barring is in place - and it's not.

Out of ideas and I can't use my 7730. Boo. Hiss.

Cheers, Jason

finch
04-30-2005, 08:09 AM
Do you have a voice plan associated with your account or just data?

jasonjordan
04-30-2005, 08:12 AM
Do you have a voice plan associated with your account or just data?

Yep. As mentioned the SIM works perfectly in my XDA and my wife's NEC 3G phone.

Her SIM also fails to make voice calls in the Blackberry.

My gut feel is that this is either a RIM restriction caused by the IMEI/PIN not being fully released from the last users account OR it may have some kind of remnant IT Policy if the previous user was on a BES.

If that is the case - how can I check or fix it?

Cheers, Jason

corey@12mile
04-30-2005, 09:18 AM
I think it's more along the line of that imei is in your carriers blacklist database on the network. They most likely won't tell you anything because you are not the person associated with the device in their records.

cd.

jasonjordan
04-30-2005, 08:49 PM
I think it's more along the line of that imei is in your carriers blacklist database on the network. They most likely won't tell you anything because you are not the person associated with the device in their records.

Thanks for that. I've just checked with both carriers and neither have it listed.

What are the chances that someone is willing to add me to their BES and zot out my IT Policy (if there is one on there?)

Cheers, Jason

ngeller
05-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks for that. I've just checked with both carriers and neither have it listed.

What are the chances that someone is willing to add me to their BES and zot out my IT Policy (if there is one on there?)

Cheers, Jason

That is your problem. Your IT policy is not default.

PhilMax
05-02-2005, 12:36 PM
That is your problem. Your IT policy is not default.

I think so, too! On other phones where there is no "IT Policy", the SIM will work just fine. The "Allow Phone" Rule for the BB apparently been changed to FALSE. "If this rule is set to FALSE, the phone icon is still visible, but only emergency calls can be made."

jasonjordan
05-03-2005, 08:51 AM
So it seems the only way I'm going to be able to get this resolved is to get someone with a BES to send me a default policy with phone enabled?

matthewk24
05-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Have you tried resetting the handset to like New? Put a password on it and then lock it and enter the password wrong 10 times. It will wipe your device but should put it back to like brand new out of the box.

jasonjordan
05-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Have you tried resetting the handset to like New? Put a password on it and then lock it and enter the password wrong 10 times. It will wipe your device but should put it back to like brand new out of the box.

Yep, that didn't do much at all - in fact it even left the apps on there like im+ and bblight.

I've also tried wiping it with the Blackberry Javaloader App... "javaloader -usb wipe" which does a great job of erasing EVERYTHING except the IT Policy!

Jeez it'd be nice if somehow a copy of itpolicy.exe and the associated file lobbed into my mailbox ;-)

ccfball8
04-08-2007, 06:20 PM
im on verizon and well i lost my phone on spring break and i bought a 7750 on ebay and after talking almost 2 hours with verizon and taking it to the store they still cant get the sorry, only emergency calls error to go away. i was told that the ESN number may be locked but if so i shouldnt be able to get SMS messages and i can. does anyone know what i can do? we have tried to reset it and everything

John Clark
04-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Follow the instructions in this thread:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/67224-remove-policy.html

fyesoft
10-23-2007, 05:08 AM
You can still make calls if IT policy on your blackberry restricts calls because of a bug in the software. Obviously YOU RUN THE RISK OF GETTING FIRED!!! Please try it on your own responsibility, your company may not like it!!!

You can use Voice Dialing to make calls even if IT policy doesn't allow you to make phone calls. Tried it on Blackberry 8800 running OS version 4.2.1 and it WORKS!