PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to have a virus on a BB?

dwp1975
05-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I know I read comments that there are no viruses for blackberry operating systems, but is that true. My device has been acting buggy for awhile now, it started when I added themes to it and even after removing the themes, wiping the device and rebooting it, it still acts buggy, the most noticable issue is that the signal strength meter goes haywire and goes from full to none off and one whereas it never did that before that I've noticed, and there are also times when I am typing on BB messenger where it sort of freezes and the the keystrokes take time to register. And lastly there is noticable lag when scrolling the icons. Please help, I love my 8703e and do not want to go back to windows mobile, but I need to figure out how to remedy this issue so I can re-stabilize my device.

JSanders
05-07-2007, 10:20 AM
dwp, lagging typing and dancing signal bars does not make a virus. You most likely have loaded a buggy theme, at best, and need to clear some memory for your BB to operate in its full glory.

Do a battery pull reboot of your 8703 on a weekly basis to keep it fresh, and likewise, see how much memory is left.. Options > Status.

dwp1975
05-07-2007, 11:25 AM
dwp, lagging typing and dancing signal bars does not make a virus. You most likely have loaded a buggy theme, at best, and need to clear some memory for your BB to operate in its full glory.

Do a battery pull reboot of your 8703 on a weekly basis to keep it fresh, and likewise, see how much memory is left.. Options > Status.

I did the options/status and this is what I saw below, does this mean I am full, if so how can I clear it out.

file free: 31247664 bytes
file total: 58720256 bytes.

Lastly, I still have the theme reader, should I delete that as well to get my BB back up and running like it did before the themes were loaded?

Dubdub
05-07-2007, 11:30 AM
A BB virus is unlikely but not impossible.

JSanders
05-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Your memory looks good there. Still a reboot won't hurt. Yes, I believe removing the theme reader could help also... its a crap shoot, maybe it will.

dwp1975
05-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Your memory looks good there. Still a reboot won't hurt. Yes, I believe removing the theme reader could help also... its a crap shoot, maybe it will.

Just gave it a shot, deleted the theme reader and pulled the battery out.

dwp1975
05-08-2007, 09:29 AM
OK, I just notice that the BB browser is gone as well as the e-mail settings icon, I can't even recover them in other themes. When I try to launch the BB browser thru brick breaker it tells me that the following error "Your device does not currently have any Browser Configuration Service Books Entries. Please contact your service provider to enable the Browser on your device." is calling VZW my only recourse, or can I merely re-send the service books thru BIS online?

JSanders
05-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Read this:
How do I resend my service books? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_resend_my_service_books%3F)

Good luck...

dwp1975
05-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Read this:
How do I resend my service books? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_resend_my_service_books%3F)

Good luck...

1. From the device go to Options >> Advanced Options >> Host Routing Table, then click the menu button and select: 'Register Now'

there are a bunch of host routes, and one of them is bolded. which one do I register and how many do I register?

JSanders
05-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Highlight over the bolded on. I am not "sure" it matters.

dwp1975
05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Whoa! I was in mid-convo on BB messenger and my device reset itself....is this something I need to really need to be concerned about?

FroogleThis
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
I would be concerned, but I wouldn't toss Blackberries aside simply for that. Take into consideration the issues that come with a Treo.

Are you on BES or BIS?

On BIS you can login and Resend Service Books, which might work AFTER you wipe the handheld.

Not sure on BES, you'd definitely want someone more educated than me in that field to suggest steps.

It definitely sounds like you have a buggy OS or something. Somewhere along the line a program installed didn't agree with it. Have you tried Wipe Handheld yet? If not, make sure you've got a backup of your contacts somewhere, enable Password on Lock, and type an incorrect password 10 times. Then try and put the latest OS on it.

Good Luck

NJBlackBerry
05-09-2007, 12:45 PM
To date, there have been no BlackBerry viruses. Possible - anything is possible - but not yet.

dwp - it is possible that you have a bad BlackBerry (hardware) or faulty software (a third party app) that are causing you problems. You may need to reload the OS and applications.

But you don't have a virus.

dwp1975
05-09-2007, 12:50 PM
To date, there have been no BlackBerry viruses. Possible - anything is possible - but not yet.

dwp - it is possible that you have a bad BlackBerry (hardware) or faulty software (a third party app) that are causing you problems. You may need to reload the OS and applications.

But you don't have a virus.

Will desktop manager allow me to install a OS that is the same version as what is currently on the phone?

JSanders
05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Yes, as long as you download that exact OS from your carrier BIS website and extract it to your PC.

BlackBerry™ 4.x Software Download (http://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/)