PDA

View Full Version : JVM error 523 - system hung

bostonnerd
05-01-2005, 09:36 AM
Folks;
I did an OTA download of a new application version this morning, replied yes to reboot, and the 7290 is now locked up with a JVM 523 error. Any suggestions how to get around this? I have backups, but can't get a USB connect to restore.

NJBlackBerry
05-01-2005, 11:01 AM
According to the RIM web site, a JVM 523 error means that a "System process died", which doesn't sound good to me. If it was me, I would reload the entire handheld OS and be very wary of downloading that application again.

Get ahold of "Javaloader" - I think it has been posted here several times. Connect the BB and type

javaloader -usb wipe from a DOS prompt. This will wipe out the BB.

Download the latest version of the 7290 code from Cingular. Restart Desktop Manager and it should reload the OS. Then restore your data....

Good luck...

dulcamara
05-01-2005, 11:33 AM
What was that application? I want to be wary of it, too.

bostonnerd
05-01-2005, 12:11 PM
According to the RIM web site, a JVM 523 error means that a "System process died", which doesn't sound good to me. If it was me, I would reload the entire handheld OS and be very wary of downloading that application again.

Get ahold of "Javaloader" - I think it has been posted here several times. Connect the BB and type

javaloader -usb wipe from a DOS prompt. This will wipe out the BB.

Download the latest version of the 7290 code from Cingular. Restart Desktop Manager and it should reload the OS. Then restore your data....

Good luck...

Thanks for the suggestions! An update....

I first tried calling Cingular to patch me into RIM Tech Support. Cingular Data Support is closed on Sundays (damn you Cingular!).

Then tried calling RIM directly. RIM Tech Support won't talk to me without going through Cingular. Okay, not a problem I thought as my company is a very large Enterprise BES customer, so I ask RIM to look up our corporate Tsupport number. No can do says RIM. I need to give them the number.

Now I'm livid and the wife decides to go and workout rather then listening to me throwing a tantrum :). I spend the next hour becoming one with Google.

Download Java SDK to get the ^%^&* javaloader.exe. Javaloader -usb wipe can't recognize the USB as unit is hung in the 523 error state. Back to Google again and find:

http://www.howardforums.com/archive/topic/376368-1.html

NJBlackberry is everywhere :)
At the bottom of the above thread is the solution.....disable the USB checking in the Desktop and then bring up apploader.

Brain wipe was succesfull and I'm now just waiting for my corporate Enterprise Activation to complete.

For now I am going to assume that the OTA issue with the app was an anomoly until I hear from the developer, so I'd rather not start a panic and name the application (I've OTA'd his app many times in the past with no problem).

MainStream
05-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Same thing has happened with my 7250. Did an OTA download of PocketDay with an upgrade version noted as 2.05. So far I haven't gotten comfortable with the process noted with the javaloader.exe as shown above. Sure wish that the hard reset (battery removal) would truly serve as a hard reset.

bostonnerd
05-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Same thing has happened with my 7250. Did an OTA download of PocketDay with an upgrade version noted as 2.05. So far I haven't gotten comfortable with the process noted with the javaloader.exe as shown above. Sure wish that the hard reset (battery removal) would truly serve as a hard reset.

I wasn't going to name the application, but since you posted this, it looks like more then a coincidence. The JVM error did indeed occur with the 2.05 OTA. I have emailed Mark giving him a heads-up about it.

dulcamara
05-01-2005, 12:44 PM
You guys just saved me some pain. I was about to get PocketDay 2.05 today.

Good luck. Let us all know how it goes.

bostonnerd
05-01-2005, 12:48 PM
You guys just saved me some pain. I was about to get PocketDay 2.05 today.

Good luck. Let us all know how it goes.

The strange thing is I do not have Pocketday set to automaticly start at reboot. This looks like some sort of installer issue, not a problem with the base PD code. Glad to save you some pain though :).

NJBlackBerry
05-01-2005, 12:55 PM
PocketDay 2.05 is working fine for me. Did the OTA and it rebooted with no problem.

bostonnerd
05-01-2005, 01:22 PM
PocketDay 2.05 is working fine for me. Did the OTA and it rebooted with no problem.

Hmmmm...there was one thing that was different with this OTA.

I did the OTA and got preoccupied. When I checked the BB later, I did not see the reboot message. I figured the OTA blew off for some reason so I downloaded it again. This time I received the reboot message, replied yes, and that's when I got the JVM error.

I just did the OTA again (now that I understand the hard restore process) and it worked fine.

crs
05-01-2005, 02:42 PM
All,

This is a very strange occurance indeed. I've never had this happen before, nor have any of my users ever reported this. I'll keep my eye out and pull the OTA download if it happens again. I'll also contact RIM in the morning and see what they say.

Mark

MainStream
05-02-2005, 08:27 AM
I hate it! You know about the time you really feel comfortable with technology and think that you've got things figured out, BLAM, something happens and you begin to realize how limited your knowledge and abilities really are.

I still have this error message "JVM Error 523" and have been trying to figure out how to complete the javaloader.exe -usb erase solution. I downloaded the developers kit from that section of the Blackberry website, but I don't see where the javaloader.exe is a part of that download. I have searched and read the threads on this site that reference javaloader.exe, but I am not familiar enough with these processes to be able to figure out what to do and how to do it. As a result I have re-activated my PPC XV-6600 so I have a working phone, but I got the 7250 to replace that device so I see this as a temporary fix.

Can someone provide either a suggestion on what I should try next, or provide a simple set of instructions on how to make the javaloader.exe solution work.

Many thanks,
Jim

NJBlackBerry
05-02-2005, 08:36 AM
1) Have you found Javaloader? If so, connect your BlackBerry, open a DOS prompt and type

javaloader -usb wipe

Javaloader is freely available. It is part of the SDK, and also available if you download games from Magmic. It is out there.

2) Ensure you have the latest version of your handheld's Operating System. See the sticky thread on top for the links to every carrier's version of the handheld OS. Download and execute that handheld OS install

3) Restart Desktop Manager. The OS should now reload.

crs
05-02-2005, 08:36 AM
I've attached the javaloader.exe.

I copied this from the RIM web site and have attached the utility you need to do this...I've personally never done this.

Open a command prompt

Go to the program files directory and open research in motion then the developer kit direcotry then bin

run the javaloader.exe

javaloader.exe -usb wipe

this will totally erase your berry and give you an error on the screen.

Then open up Desktop Manager and reinstall the OS.

You do this by installing the handheld os that you want to use and then opening desktop manager.

Then go into application loader and just step through it. It should ask to install the os.

Mark

MainStream
05-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Thanks Tirsch and NJBB. I have a solution in the works. I appreciate your help.

Dawg
05-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I got this jvm 523 error today when I deleted pocket day. removed battery reinserted and it went away reloaded pocketday all is well. got my new html browser from nextel working I am a happy camper now on to the next hot issue oh wait i dont have anything to ***** about now I am going to go into withdrawls....

blackberrykid
05-09-2005, 07:59 AM
Im getting the same jvm error 523 on my 7520 Blackberry all the time. I have the newest OS software for the 7520. Can I use the java loader to wipe out and reinstall the OS on the 7520? Im new to the blackberry world so just making sure before I make matters worst. Any help would be helpful, Thanks

i-mod
05-19-2005, 07:05 AM
Is there a password i need to run this?

i-mod
05-19-2005, 07:07 AM
Nevermind. It was my BB security password it needed. I'm such a noob

gcrarey
03-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Hi Guy's

I a new BlackBerry Admin, I recently built my first BES and migrated my users over from our old server to our new Server version 4.0.3.2. everyone was fine except for our Chief's Handheld froze while message's were coming in. I then got the error " JVM error 523 reset " I called our vendor who got in touch with Black Berry They said i had to reload the OS. I came in the next day ready to do the reload, I backed up the hand held then checked it and now it's pulling mail and hasn't froze at all. Do you think I should keep going with the reload?

Greg

lambdacoreaz
06-27-2007, 06:17 PM
This JVM error also seems to occur for me when i replace older versions of apps with newer ones...be wary of this method as you should prompt yourselves to uninstall the app first with a soft system reboot and then install the new version...I encountered this problem today after installing a newer version of Empower (http://getempower.com)HTML reader and it took me roughly 7 hard reboot cycles and a lot of patience before i got it to hook on and stay on...

Tip:
When you have this string of JVM errors whether it be 523 or any other, try turning off the radio for a shot amt of time until the system finishes loading everything after the security check.

Hope this helps.

reblen
12-24-2007, 02:34 PM
Hello folks,

First time here

I tried to follow this clearly laid out procedure, but here is the problem:

Before I can complete the steps it goes into that mode, and I cannot do it faster. :cry: Any other ideas as to how I can get my blackberry back?

Thanks

Leonard

John Clark
12-24-2007, 05:00 PM
Wow...in 3 days this thread would have automatically closed. You saved it just in the nick of time.

Here, this should help fix your phone:

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_to_do_next_if_Jl_Cmder_will_not_connect_and_wipe)

mullers
02-19-2008, 10:37 AM
i've tried all of the above but when i try to run java loader is says unable to open port. anyone else have this problem?