PDA

View Full Version : Sending a page to T-Mobile 7230 Blackberry

Gustav
05-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Hi, we have a "sensaphone" at work that is set up to dial a 1-800 number which then sends a page to various pagers when the power goes down, temperature is high in server room, etc. This sensaphone does not have internet access, and cannot thus send an SMS or email. I don't want to have it dial the voice portion of my blackberry directly. Is there a way to have it dial a number, (perhaps access my voicemail) and send either a text or numeric message, much like a pager would?

If there is a more appropriate place to post this, please point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice on this.

EGottlieb
05-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Do the following:

1) Dial +1 805 MESSAGE, pause (this is T-Mobile's voicemail access number)
2) Dial your phone number, pause
3) Dial "1" to send a numeric page, pause
4) Dial numeric message/phone number, pause
5) Dial "#"
6) Hangup

This will send you a text message that says something like "PAGE: xxxxx" where xxxxx is the numeric message sent.

Mark Rejhon
05-02-2005, 11:52 AM
If you use Nextel, there's a way to dial a phone number to page a Nextel BlackBerry as a pager. I think another similiar method works for another carrier such as T-Mobile. Please check your carrier if they have a paging system (CSR's may not provide accurate info though, so research deeper).

If not, try a third party service, There are TAP-to-SMS gateway services. I think a few links can be found via my BlackBerry FAQ, then "Voicemail-to-text Transcription", then scroll down, and there's a couple of links that go to services similiar to this.

Mark Rejhon
05-02-2005, 11:53 AM
Congratulations, EGottlieb ... You posted a message simultaneously as I did. You answered the person's question -- good to know that T-Mobile provides a little-advertised pager service.

Gustav
05-02-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks to all! This worked great, and I received t-mobile "page" when I killed the power to the "sensaphone".

Work had given me a pager for this, which I'd prefer not to have to carry - that's why I have a BB after all!

EGottlieb
05-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Just a warning, I believe that T-Mobile is updating their voicemail system over the next couple years. There is no guarantee that this will work forever...

There is a lot of information about the update and its rollout schedule on Howard Forums in the T-Mobile forum....