PDA

View Full Version : Migrating from Nokia E62 to BB 8800

Klotar
05-13-2007, 10:30 PM
Hello All,

I did a search first but didn't see quite what I was looking for. I'm currently using a Nokia E62 on Blackberry BIS on Rogers. I have a BB 8800 on the way, and would like to switch over to that.

First off, is there a way to export/import my existing contacts? I have about 100 (not that many in the big scheme of things) and the closest I can figure is to export into .vcf (which I have done already) as separate vcard files, but I don't have Outlook to import it into and then export from there into the BB.

Any suggestions for those that might have gone this route? Or should I figure out how to copy my contacts to my SIM before switching devices and then once the SIM is in the new phone, create/copy the addressbook from there?

Since I don't have the new BB in hand yet, I haven't read manuals, etc., but just trying to do a bit of planning. Thanks in advance!

JSanders
05-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Can you export your E62 to an ASCII or Excel (and then save to ascii) file? That would be the best way, then use the Blackberry Desktop Manager software to transfer the ASCII file over the BB...

Desktop Manager also has a new (using DM version 4.2 service pack 1) Switch Device Wizard, which includes some non-BB devices. When you get your BB, check that out, but you may need to download the new DM, the CD could have an old version.
Where can I download Desktop Manager and / or the Handheld OS? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_can_I_download_Desktop_Manager_and_/_or_the_Handheld_OS%3F)

Klotar
05-13-2007, 10:42 PM
Exporting to .csv sounds familiar, I will have to double check that. If so, and the Desktop Manager can import it, then I think you've eased my mind on retyping my contacts from scratch.

Well, hopefully I shall find out soon! Thanks!

JSanders
05-13-2007, 10:44 PM
csv will be the route to go if it can.

Then in Desktop Manager, you will need to configure to ASCII importer/Exporter, but that may be getting ahead of your game for now. Ask back if you need.

Klotar
05-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Just to give this thread some finality: I didn't know that the BB Desktop Manager supported Outlook Express until I had installed the DM. Although I was prepared with a csv, a plethora of vcf's, etc., it turned out to be fairly easy using Outlook Express. Although all fields didn't quite map out perfectly (it doesn't seem to like Home Address 1 fields, for example), it saved a lot of re-keying.

Thanks again.

Gaz7
05-19-2007, 11:01 AM
I have a similar question in that i need to get my contacts from my N70 to the 8800 - does anyone know the best way to do this?

Gareth :)

JSanders
05-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Yea, follow those suggestions posted above.

Gaz7
05-19-2007, 12:48 PM
I have a problem with that though - i can't connect the N70 to my PC... It was a fault from new (i had three replacement handsets, until i gave up) - it doesn't register even in Nokia PC suite.

Is there a way of sending directly from the device? As per another thread, i was having issues with bluetooth, but the reply sorted this. I was hoping that there would be a 'receive via bluetooth' option in the address book, but i can't see anything. I was hoping to send vCards from the N70 to the 8800.

Klotar
05-19-2007, 03:13 PM
I have a problem with that though - i can't connect the N70 to my PC... It was a fault from new (i had three replacement handsets, until i gave up) - it doesn't register even in Nokia PC suite.

Is there a way of sending directly from the device? As per another thread, i was having issues with bluetooth, but the reply sorted this. I was hoping that there would be a 'receive via bluetooth' option in the address book, but i can't see anything. I was hoping to send vCards from the N70 to the 8800.

If you can get any sort of connection going (BT if USB isn't working), you should be able to still view the Nokia from Window's Explorer as a drive. If you can click on the Contacts folder, you may be able to see them, highlight them all, and drag 'n drop them into an empty folder on your PC. It magically converts them to vCards. However, that might be Nokia's applet client running in the background that was responsible for that even though I didn't have PC Suite actively running.

From there I imported them into Outlook Express (but in the meantime I had also copied those vCards to another PC and installed Outlook on it just long enough to import the vCards and export them to a csv. If that option isn't open to you but you got as far as the vCards, plan "C" was to email them to the phone, heh.

Gaz7
05-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Annoyingly, from what i can gather from Nokia forums, the problem lies with the cable and connection on the N70 - so it doesn't show up in Windows at all; the PC doesn't know that it's there.

I needed a work around not involving a PC - this is the best i've figured today:

Contacts highlighted in sections (A's then B's etc) added to MMS, send to BB. BB receives the MMS with vCards at the bottom which have to be saved one by one.

Certainly not instant and it's still time consuming, but it's much, much quicker than typing them all in.

JSanders
05-20-2007, 09:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Gaz, with your Nokia issues, sending the contacts one by one may be your only option then.

Gaz7
05-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Jsanders - yep, that was basically it; although i could send them in 'blocks' of contacts (i split them into about 10 MMS's to keep under the size limit). Then they arrive at the 8800 all listed as individual vCards at the bottom of the MMS, and have to be saved indivdually.

Not great, but much better than retyping them all in, with the possible errors that could ensue from typing in so many numbers!

Gaz7
05-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Just out of interest - i had a good look through all the menus but couldn't see anything or figure it out - is there a way to get the BB to accept vCards via Bluetooth?

Klotar
05-20-2007, 09:29 AM
I didn't try that; and possibly you had an advantage that I didn't: I only have one SIM card, so I couldn't have both phones live to do any transfers, although with further thought I wonder about BT now between the two of them (didn't occur to me). But I would guess that although you could transfer vcards via BT, the BB wouldn't know what to do with them unless they were included as message attachments (I think I read that on another post here).

You'd mentioned the USB cable thing, but I did try using the Nokia PC suite using a Bluetooth connection in the past. It worked but was of course slower than cable so I forgot to mention it because it was easier for me to just hook the cable up. And since by the time you read this, you'll be done your MMS transfers so I guess any more ideas will be moot, but you did say BT was working and just that PC Suite wouldn't talk to the N70 by cable -- so BT -> PC Suite was an option unless you tried that (but I didn't see you mention that specifically so I'm not sure if you did).

Gaz7
05-23-2007, 08:59 AM
I didn't have a BT dongle to try that out, but i think other Nokia owners have said that that removes the problem.

I think you're right as well - oddly the 8800 doesn't seem to be able to take a vCard via BT.