PDA

View Full Version : Sprint 8830 and SERO

jwp8710
05-17-2007, 08:07 AM
So the fact sheet on the Sprint 8830 says it will work with Spring Power Vision. Does that mean if you have a SERO plan (with unlimited Power Vision) that you can get unlimited email and web without having to add an additional Blackberry plan?

God, I hope so. [fingers crossed]

penguin3107
05-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Does that mean if you have a SERO plan (with unlimited Power Vision) that you can get unlimited email and web without having to add an additional Blackberry plan? [fingers crossed]

Highly highly doubtful. Don't get your hopes up.
In order for e-mail and browser to function, you need to authenticate with RIMs servers. The only way to do that is with a Blackberry Data Plan.

jwp8710
05-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Am I alone in thinking this approach narrows the market for blackberrys?

I don't have one but want one, but I think it's crap that I have to basically double pay when I can get a PDA and just use Power Vision (or cheaper internet plans on other carriers).

Stupid blackberry!:x

penguin3107
05-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Am I alone in thinking this approach narrows the market for blackberrys?
I don't think you're alone. You're simply in a group of individuals who don't really understand how the BlackBerry device functions. Please don't take that the wrong way... as I am not trying to insult you.
BlackBerry devices are simply not like other wireless devices. They aren't "stupid". They're secure, stable, proven, and functional wireless e-mail devices. This is their intended purpose, and all other features are ancillary.

If your primary reason for a wireless device is not push e-mail delivery... then perhaps the BlackBerry simply isn't the right tool for you. I'm sure there's other devices that would suit your needs, and budget better.

jwp8710
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Not insulted at all. I am new to all this so learning as I go.

The reason I look towards blackberry is that every person I know that has tried other devices and blackberrys swear by their blackberrys and tell me not to bother with other PDA type phones. But perhaps you're right. They are all people who use them for work, and while I could use it to check my work email every now and then my primary use would be a phone with internet and email and some cool availible features.

Go Sox by the way.

airjoe
05-17-2007, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=penguin3107;539187
If your primary reason for a wireless device is not push e-mail delivery... then perhaps the BlackBerry simply isn't the right tool for you. I'm sure there's other devices that would suit your needs, and budget better.[/QUOTE]

I've been debating the Sprint 8830 for a few weeks now. I currently use a Treo (with Chatter for email) - I would consider myself a power email user, but not necessarily all the other Treo functionality. I have 2 Outlook accounts set up with push (OWA), and 3 other IMAP email accounts which are also push. Push is a necessity for me, but not necessarily BES.

I understand the BB can connect to an OWA account, but I understand it is a pull email, and the only way to really get push is using BES. I can use BES with my main work email, but I am often at a client site where I will have an added OWA email account set up for a few months at a time and therefore need flexibility.

What can the BB do wrt email, and what can't it? I've read several FAQs, but I can't find a clear and consistent answer.

FWIW, my alternative that I'm considering is the HTC S720 also due around the same time as the BB8830 (to Sprint).

penguin3107
05-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I understand the BB can connect to an OWA account, but I understand it is a pull email, and the only way to really get push is using BES.
No, this is not exactly true.
All e-mail on the Blackberry is push, as the Blackberry is a push device.
Maybe you're just misunderstanding what push e-mail is.

In a "pull" mail system... the client must initiate the request for mail to be delivered to the handheld. Whether this happens automatically on a schedule, or manually... it's still the client's responsibility to request a delivery. This is NOT how the BlackBerry works.

The BlackBerry is a "push" system, because the handheld does not have to initiate a request for mail to be delivered to the device. The mail delivery is initiated by the server. Whether this be a BES, or BIS... the server is responsibile for delivering messages to the device without the need for the client (handheld) to make a request.

Any e-mail account you set up with BIS (OWA, POP, IMAP, or other compatible web mail) will still be a push system. BIS will "pull" mail from your respective e-mail account, but then push it to your handheld.

AuntyDan
05-17-2007, 01:49 PM
You'd think they'd have their current BB models like the 8703e already available via SERO if they wanted to do it. As they don't it's resonable to assume they won't for the 8830 either unfortunately :-(

BryanHarig
05-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Blackberries have been sold by SERO in the past. If they arnt now I imagine that it is simply a matter of them being out of stock.

The $39.99 BB data plan is required. There was a short lived $19.99 nextel BB data plan available on SERO and there have been a few cases where customers were able to get that price on CDMA blackberries. It isnt easy though, I was never able to get it personally.