PDA

View Full Version : SPAM filter catching Blackberry Mail traffic

jbairdjr
05-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Hello-

Our IT people here installed a new SPAM server on our network for all work email. Last week, Blackberry messages were not being delivered to recipients.
I contacted the IT folks, and they initially thought it must be a Blackberry issue. But, our mail was being delivered everywhere else.
After some checking, they found that the SPAM filter on the server was flagging I.P. addresses from RIM as suspicious. They are in the process of adding the valid I.P. addresses, but are having a hard time identifying all allowable I.P. ranges.
Does anyone have a list or can anyone point me to a list of the I.P. addresses that could be "whitelisted" in their new SPAM filter?

Berry One
05-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Tell your IT people follow this URL: Sender ID Framework SPF Record Wizard (http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/)

enter alltel.blackberry.com in the form, click on Start and note IP blocks reported. The suffix '-all' at the end of the report means no other IP addresses are permitted to send emails on behalf of blackberry, meaning it is the full list.

jbairdjr
05-18-2007, 09:19 AM
I just sent out the link to them.
I'll let you know if that helped.

jbairdjr
05-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Our IT had already checked that list, but they are getting email coming from quite a few other I.P. addresses when sent from Blackberry.
Any other resources that anyone would know?

Berry One
05-18-2007, 03:18 PM
Can they share these 'other' IP addresses with you and can you post them here? Are these IP addresses belong to RIM?

aaronk
05-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Same issue at my work. We've got strong SPAM filters and it won't allow emails from the BB to receipients within the company. Sending emails from the BB to those outside the company works just fine.

Our IT guy couldn't figure it out, but we're a small company and only have 1 person besides myself that have Blackberry's, so we live with it...

jbairdjr
05-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Our guys have been really good about trying to find all of the I.P. addresses so our Blackberry Mail comes through.
Working for a Sheriff's Office where the Sheriff, Chief Deputy, Captains, Sergeants, and Investigators use Blackberry devices, we cant have email blocked.
Since my prior posting, they have had to checks logs a coulple of more times, but it appears that all the I.P. address are in the "whitelist" on the SPAM filter.

Berry One
05-21-2007, 07:24 AM
Same issue at my work. We've got strong SPAM filters and it won't allow emails from the BB to receipients within the company. Sending emails from the BB to those outside the company works just fine.

These SPAM filters possibly do not trust emails signed by your company domain name, coming from the Internet.

There are only two cases when email signed by your office domain name orignates externally:

1. SPAM;
2. Blackberries.

Spam filters must be configured to accept emails signed by your company domain name when they come from RIM's range of IP addresses.

Berry One
05-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Our guys have been really good about trying to find all of the I.P. addresses so our Blackberry Mail comes through.
Working for a Sheriff's Office where the Sheriff, Chief Deputy, Captains, Sergeants, and Investigators use Blackberry devices...

Not related to SPAM, but to blackberries in general, I must say that I strongly advise your office switch to BES. Very strongly advise it.

BIS was created for personal and small business emailing, where risks of having emails exposed to third party are acceptable.

jbairdjr
05-22-2007, 02:36 PM
We would probably switch to a BES, but we dont use Notes or Exchange. We are using a AMINS based email server (it is POP3 if you are inside the network). We can only access the mail through a clunky web interface outside the network. So, we re-direct mail to Blackberry devices using software on a computer that runs 24/7.
We have no calendar or other sync, but the email is the most important for us.