PDA

View Full Version : Small problem with caller ID

asnpcwiz
05-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Ok, I've done a search on this and can't find any help with my issue. I am running 4.2.1.85 OS and I haven't had many problems with it except for the new unlock sequence. I am having this small problem with the way caller ID is handled. The new version of the OS picks up calls from my address book just fine...except, it doesn't tell me where the individual is calling from. Before it would say "Sister Home", or "Sister Cell" etc. I like to know where the person is calling from just in case they may be somewhere where I don't want to answer. In this case, I have two friends that live together in the same house. One I talk to often, and the other I don't really like to take calls from. If it's coming from their house, I don't pick up because I don't want to answer it. Any ideas how to get this fixed? Please no stupid replies like "memorize the numbers in your phonebook".

JSanders
05-18-2007, 10:28 AM
What do you have set in the Phone Dialer > Options > Smart Dialing. Your settings should include "+1" in the US, and your area code.

Also, if you don't have the callers address book setup correctly with area code, you "might" not get the recognition on the caller ID.

Finally, I have to ask... Your example of two people in the same house using the same phone: How are you going to know them apart if they are using the same phone call from number? Or did I miss something there?

asnpcwiz
05-18-2007, 11:50 AM
What do you have set in the Phone Dialer > Options > Smart Dialing. Your settings should include "+1" in the US, and your area code.

Also, if you don't have the callers address book setup correctly with area code, you "might" not get the recognition on the caller ID.

Finally, I have to ask... Your example of two people in the same house using the same phone: How are you going to know them apart if they are using the same phone call from number? Or did I miss something there?

Ok, all of this is set correctly and it still doesn't tell me where the person is calling from. The caller ID works, but it doesn't tell me where it's calling from...BS.

Also, I don't pick up when they call from the house. I only pick up when the person I want to talk to calls me from his cell phone ;-) . That is why having caller ID tell me where they are calling from is so important.

GoblueNextel
05-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I am trying to follow your comments but I think your loosing alot of us....

If you have a contact in your address book....Say JOE...and Joe has a MOBILE, Home and work number.....If you put them in the correct field when JOE calls from his MOBILE it should should say Joe (and underneath MOBILE).

Am I missing something?

EDIT - WAIT THATS WHEN MAKING A CALL....

I see what you mean....

JSanders
05-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Ok, try pulling the battery on the phone letting it reboot. I know that sounds simplistic, but a reboot often fixes the oddest of glitches. Likewise, make sure Caller ID is enabled on your account with your carrier.

asnpcwiz
05-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I am trying to follow your comments but I think your loosing alot of us....

If you have a contact in your address book....Say JOE...and Joe has a MOBILE, Home and work number.....If you put them in the correct field when JOE calls from his MOBILE it should should say Joe (and underneath MOBILE).

Am I missing something?

EDIT - WAIT THATS WHEN MAKING A CALL....

I see what you mean....

Yep...that is exactly what I mean. In this case it SHOULD say JOE and MOBILE underneath JOE....but, it doesn't when you receiving a call. It just says JOE. SUCK.

I've tried pulling out the battery....anything else?

GoblueNextel
05-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Yep...that is exactly what I mean. In this case it SHOULD say JOE and MOBILE underneath JOE....but, it doesn't when you receiving a call. It just says JOE. SUCK.

I've tried pulling out the battery....anything else?

FYI...It does do this, just after the call is answered, not during initial ring.

asnpcwiz
05-22-2007, 12:27 PM
FYI...It does do this, just after the call is answered, not during initial ring.

Yes, I know that, but it defeats the purpose. By the time I actually answer the call, I don't have to look at the phone anymore to tell who is calling me. It kind of defeats the purpose of screening a call :razz: .