PDA

View Full Version : From Razr to 8800.

MasterJedi
05-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Hey All. I just recently cancelled my service from cingular. Things were just going down the crapper with them and I ended just a couple of days ago. Now I am looking to upgrade from my Razr. I am torn between the BB model 8100 and 8800. I am leaning more towards the 8800 model though. The only reason I would get the 8100 is because of the camera plus I think it looks better. I am not a big business man(not just yet anyway), so having a camera on my phone isn't a problem. I've been doing comparing on these boards for awhile and I think I am going to go with the 8800 model. If anyone feels like sharing why I should choose otherwise, please advise so. I was hoping to get the 8830 model, but I don't think it will come to TMO for another couple of months.

I am also going to switch carriers. I believe I am going to go with TMO. This is the plans I am going to go with.

MyFavs300 for $39.99
BlackBerry Unlimited Add-on for $19.99
Unlimited Domestic Messages for $14.99

Now for my question, with the BB unlimited Add-on, I should be able to browse the web and recieve email. I was pondering if I need to purchase the TMO Web, but if I have the BB unlimited Add-on, I should be able to surf the mobile web with this plan right? I also decided against the Protection plan because if I lose phone or it gets stolen, I still have to pay deductible. I don't think that is right if I have been paying for 6 to 10 months. What do you guys think?

Dubdub
05-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Before you make a mistake, make sure T-Mo has the coverage you need - where you live, work, travel, play, etc. And don't rely on coverage maps. Talk to friends, family, co-workers, etc.

And never pick a carrier because of the cool phones they have!

As for the 8100 vs 8100 - do you type a lot of text messages and email? If so you may prefer the QWERTY keypad of the 8800, rather then 8100's SureType.

Perfect Storm
05-19-2007, 05:41 PM
Hey All. I just recently cancelled my service from cingular. Things were just going down the crapper with them and I ended just a couple of days ago. Now I am looking to upgrade from my Razr. I am torn between the BB model 8100 and 8800. I am leaning more towards the 8800 model though. Reason being for the camera. I am not a big business man(not just yet anyway), so having a camera on my phone isn't a problem. I've been doing comparing on these boards for awhile and I think I am going to go with the 8800 model. If anyone feels like sharing why I should choose otherwise, please advise so. I was hoping to get the 8830 model, but I don't think it will come to TMO for another couple of months.
I think you might be a little confused/mixed up

8100 = Camera
8800 = No Camera
8830 = Never coming to T-Mobile as it's a CDMA device for the US
8300 = What you were probably thinking about with the 8830. Camera and querty, won't be on T-Mobile for some time

MasterJedi
05-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Before you make a mistake, make sure T-Mo has the coverage you need - where you live, work, travel, play, etc. And don't rely on coverage maps. Talk to friends, family, co-workers, etc.

And never pick a carrier because of the cool phones they have!

As for the 8100 vs 8100 - do you type a lot of text messages and email? If so you may prefer the QWERTY keypad of the 8800, rather then 8100's SureType.
I've checked with a couple of my friends and they said the coverage here isn't all that bad.

I wasn't picking the carrier because they have cool phones, I was picking TMO simply because they have better plans for my needs. I am more into text messaging than talking on the phone hence the myfavs 300 plan. TMO offers unlimited messaging which cingular didn't.

Yes I do alot of text messaging instead of talking on the phone. Big reason why I was looking at the 8800.
I think you might be a little confused/mixed up

8100 = Camera
8800 = No Camera
8830 = Never coming to T-Mobile as it's a CDMA device for the US
8300 = What you were probably thinking about with the 8830. Camera and querty, won't be on T-Mobile for some time
I wasn't confused on the 8100 and 8800. Thanks for input on the 8830 and 8300. I was under the impression that TMO would get the 8830 because VZW had it. The 8300 would be more me but TMO doesn't offer that phone. I talk to customer rep from TMO today and he told me to wait because 8830 should be coming to TMO. I think he was full of it, but IDK. When do you think the 8300 will come to TMO?

Sorry about the typo about mixing up the 8100 and 8800. I didn't proof read the post. Sorry about that.

John Clark
05-19-2007, 10:51 PM
PerfectStorm is correct. The 8830 will never come to TMo. TMo's 8800 does everything the 8830 does (it's basically the 8800 device for Verizon.) AT&T will be getting the 8300 first (rumored for next week.) How long after that for TMo is anyone's guess. Many times they have a 90 day exclusivity but since O2 already has it....who knows. I'm waiting for the 8300 on TMo as well.

takeshi
05-20-2007, 12:13 AM
I wasn't picking the carrier because they have cool phones, I was picking TMO simply because they have better plans for my needs.
Coverage should still be your top concern. Just make sure you really give it a good test during TMO's trial period. I don't recall exact how long they give you but make sure coverage is good everywhere you need it. A cheaper plan is useless if you can't use your wireless device.

MasterJedi
05-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Well I was looking at plans from VZW, but I have talked to a buddy of mine and he doesn't get good coverage. Some places here, he can't surf the web(here in town), when I tried to send him something from my phone with bluetooth it wouldn't work, and he wasn't able to download MMS that had pics in it. I'd hate to say it, but it looks like I may go back with AT&T and get the Curve. I am not in need for 3g or WI-FI at the moment. Maybe when I get into sales, but not right now. I am a newb and trying to learn things. For those of you who have waited for phones to come out, is it worth the wait? I cancelled my service from cingular and I am in need of a cell phone.

nimocone
05-20-2007, 11:22 PM
For those of you who have waited for phones to come out, is it worth the wait? I cancelled my service from cingular and I am in need of a cell phone.

I went from the Razr to the 8800 and it was worth the wait. I started waiting last September when I heard the 8800 was coming out. The last month before it hit the stores about killed me in anticipation. I'm very happy with the switch and really couldn't go back to a Razr.

Klotar
05-21-2007, 05:55 AM
I went from the Razr to the 8800 and it was worth the wait. I started waiting last September when I heard the 8800 was coming out. The last month before it hit the stores about killed me in anticipation. I'm very happy with the switch and really couldn't go back to a Razr.

I went RAZR -> Nokia E62 -> BB8800.

I'm happy with the switch too. I did "need" the E62 in between to decide if I really wanted push email or not (I'd gone without for all previous phones up to the RAZR), and the 8800 wasn't out at the time. On a side note, I was happy with the functionality of the E62 but the S60 3rd Ed. Symbian OS did not leave a lasting impression with me, other than the slowness. The transition from the E62's joystick to the 8800's trackball was effortless too.

Ugh, I just realized that this is the 4th phone in 8 months. I'm apparently geekier than I thought.

MasterJedi
06-01-2007, 12:15 AM
I am going to bump this back up to the top so I can get some help. I've been searching here and google for help and I still seemed confused. I am in the market for a BlackBerry. I have narrowed it down to two choices. They are Cingular/AT&T and T-Mobile. For the phone selection, I am going with the 8800 or 8300. The last carrier I has was Cingular and my coverage here(Oklahoma) was pretty good. Here lately though, since AT&T took over, my father who is with AT&T, has had quite a few drop calls. I have talked to one guy whom I work wtih and he has T-Mobile. He has said his coverage is also good. From everything I have searched though about T-mobile, coverage sucks. Hell, even the guy who worked for T-Mobile has Cingular(also has T-mobile). So I am confused on what to do.

One big thing that I like about T-Mobile is the price. For what I want, T-mobile is far cheaper than Cingular. Then again, why choose a carrier where you will pay for coverage that isn't good. It's pointless if I can't use the phone correct? I do not work with a BES so that is not needed as well. The BlackBerry will be used for Text Messaging, checking email, and browsing the web. I will make occasional calls but not many. Looking for some adivce from you guys. I would like to go either way this weekend.

These are the plans I am Considering for each Carrier.

Cingular
Nation 450 w/Rollover® Minutes $39.99
Messaging Unlimited $19.99
BlackBerry Unlimited $44.99
TeleNav GPS Navigator 10 Routes $5.99
Monthly(give or take) $110.96

T-Mobile
MyFavs 300 $39.99
BlackBerry Unlimited Add-on $19.99
Unlimted Domestic Messages $14.99
Monthly(give or take) $74.97

why1504
06-01-2007, 06:02 AM
I live in Alabama and have dealt with every carrier but Nextel. About 9 years ago, AT&T bought a small cell carrier here in Alabama (sorry can't remember the name). They were the worst carrier ever dropped calls all the time (I complained and complained trying to get the phone to work and ended up paying a cancellation fee to get out of the contract). I used TMO for a few years following that disaster (great service, when you get service). I then settled on VZW. Yes, VZW cripples phones, yes, they get new phones last, yes, they charge for everything. But, in my experience their network is the best period. After having been with them all I don't see me moving away from VZW anytime soon. Based on my experience, AT&T will ruin Cingular in fairly short order. As for cost, in the 90's I regularly had cell bills north of $500 with around 400 minutes. Now with email, phone internet, tethered modem, 250 text messages, 1350 minutes, and free in calling my bill never exceeds $200. You get what you pay for. Now, if I traveled to Europe regularly, up until now I would have had a TMO as this is where they shine, but now my VZW 8830 will work over there as well. With cell phones, you can have the coolest phone at the lowest price but if there is no service, well it really don't matter.

jswriter
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
My path to the 8800:

Cingular Razr > Cingular LG CU500 > Verizon LG VX8600 > Cingular 8800

The CU500 was lousy, but I liked the VX8600. However, I never liked typing messages on cell phones due to the 3-4 letters per key layout. It took a bit of re-learning to get comfortable with the QWERTY keyboard, but now it's a breeze. I can't imagine going back to a regular phone. I love the 8800's wider feel in my hand and the trackball is fantastic.

MasterJedi
06-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Good post fellas. I talked to two more guys at PBG and they were happy with their T-MO coverage. At the moment, I am thinking of going with the 8800 from T-MO. What do you guys think? I should get a trial period shouldn't I?

jswriter
06-01-2007, 11:19 PM
I've never used T-Mobile, but you should get a trial period. Both Cingular and Verizon offer 30-days, so I'll bet it's the same with T-M.

This reminds me that I need to return my VX8600 and call Verizon to whack the service.

MasterJedi
06-02-2007, 11:11 PM
"You get what you pay for." That's all I was thinking when I purchased my 8300 from Cingular today. I went with coverage over price. I am happy with the phone though. 8-)