PDA

View Full Version : Does 8830 support bluetooth tethering for DUN?

nyc2socal
05-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Just wondering if anyone who has a 8830 and the tethering feature enabled can connect via bluetooth for DUN.

Thanks!

penguin3107
05-21-2007, 05:46 AM
Yes, I tether the 8830 via bluetooth to my G4 PowerBook.
I assume it could also be accomplished on a Windows machine as well.

Crakberry
05-21-2007, 01:46 PM
I had been using VZaccess manager to access blackberry tethering.

Once I paired up the 8830 to windows with bluetooth, DUN has now been activated and almost all web browsing calls DUN. Even after the device was deleted from the bluetooth (toshiba's newest stack) config.

I need to correct this nonsense.

rweckhoff
05-24-2007, 08:47 PM
penguin3107 -

I'm planning on picking up two 8830's this Monday.

Any issues with BT DUN? Any special config? I too - am a Mac user and have been struggling with my 8703e and EV-DO cable tethering via Parallels.

I'd appreciate any feedback and pointers.

Thanks,

Bob

junior1790
05-24-2007, 09:08 PM
bluetooth dun on a macbook, no problems, little shaky setup but that had more to do with verizon than anything else...

rweckhoff
05-24-2007, 09:16 PM
bluetooth dun on a macbook, no problems, little shaky setup but that had more to do with verizon than anything else...

What modem script did you use? WWAN Support or one from fibble.org or elsewhere?

thanks!

LarryH
05-24-2007, 09:21 PM
On my XP desktop with an Iogear BT dongle, I've had no problems. Can't get it to work at all on my laptop, running Vista.

penguin3107
05-25-2007, 05:57 AM
What modem script did you use? WWAN Support or one from fibble.org or elsewhere?

thanks!

WWAN Support.
Just make sure you have the $15.00 tethering plan on your account before you even try.
Verizon does charge for tethering on top of the Blackberry Data Plan.

rweckhoff
05-25-2007, 06:30 AM
WWAN Support.
Just make sure you have the $15.00 tethering plan on your account before you even try.

Great - I'm all set then. All I need is for Monday to roll around.

Thanks again!!

Mael
05-25-2007, 03:17 PM
On my XP desktop with an Iogear BT dongle, I've had no problems. Can't get it to work at all on my laptop, running Vista.

I have been able to get Bluetooth DUN working correctly on my laptop running Vista. The problem seems to be in Vista's implementation of Bluetooth. I followed the instructions from here to uncripple Vista's Bluetooth.

Dev-Toast » Blog Archive » Uncrippling Bluetooth in Vista RTM (http://www.dev-toast.com/2007/01/05/uncrippling-bluetooth-in-vista-rtm)

After I ran through these instructions, I was able to successfully pair my device and get DUN working.

LarryH
05-25-2007, 03:37 PM
Mael -- what timing. I was on this site, about to try this when your message arrived. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks.

Mael
05-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Make sure write down your bluetooth adaptor model from step 2. I also suggest printing out the instructions if you don't have a second computer handy.

Good luck!

LarryH
05-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Mael -- after two thousand reboots and some significant hair-pulling (which is saying a lot since I don't have much to begin with) SUCCESS!!!! Wow!

Seems my Thinkpad had some software that kept colliding with the instructions on that site. After the million reboot thing, etc. I finally got it to work. Not that I couldn't have used a cable but I just like to beat these suckers down.

I initially found the link on the Thinkpad forum, not applying to Blackberrys but then I got your post -- and here we are. Nice to know that we still rule the machines -- for now, at least.

Thanks.

Larry

trams
05-29-2007, 11:20 PM

I also have a G4 PowerBook. How would I go about setting this up? Any info would be very helpful. Thanks.

penguin3107
05-30-2007, 06:44 AM
I also have a G4 PowerBook. How would I go about setting this up? Any info would be very helpful. Thanks.

What operating system are you running?
If you're running 10.4.x, it's as simple as using the 'Add Device' wizard in the OS X bluetooth preferences.
It will walk you through the whole process.

Username = yourphonenumber@<hidden>
Password = vzw
Phone Number = #777

trams
05-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Yep. 10.4.9

I'll give it a go tonight. Thanks. 8-)

mikef1469
05-30-2007, 03:41 PM
For Verizon and a mac do you use those usernames and passwords both in the bluetooth setup in the modem script and in the internet connect dialing?

mikef1469
05-30-2007, 03:44 PM
I got it! Changing to the WWAN Support was all I was missing. I'm running a G4 on 10.3.9 and can confirm it's working.

c32bb88@yahoo.com
05-30-2007, 04:26 PM
I got it! Changing to the WWAN Support was all I was missing. I'm running a G4 on 10.3.9 and can confirm it's working.
I have a macbook pro and i connected fine but then it says, "A modem error occurred. Please verify your settings and try again." I do not know where to go from here any additional help would be much appreciated....

penguin3107
05-30-2007, 04:32 PM
I have a macbook pro and i connected fine but then it says, "A modem error occurred. Please verify your settings and try again." I do not know where to go from here any additional help would be much appreciated....

Call Verizon Wireless and make sure that you have the $15.00 blackberry tethering plan added to your account in addition to your normal Blackberry Data Plan.

brianjmolinar
05-30-2007, 05:00 PM

Isn't the VZWAccess Manager required for Broadband Access Connect? According to vzam.net it doesn’t seem to support the Mac.

c32bb88@yahoo.com
05-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Call Verizon Wireless and make sure that you have the $15.00 blackberry tethering plan added to your account in addition to your normal Blackberry Data Plan.

Thank you so much for all your help it worked i had to call verizon and tell them i want the 15.00 tethering plan and that was it... the two (Macbook pro and BlackBerry 8830) have been inseparable ever since.... thanks for your help!!!

penguin3107
05-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Isn't the VZWAccess Manager required for Broadband Access Connect? According to vzam.net it doesn’t seem to support the Mac.

It's not needed on a Mac, so the lack of support is a non-issue.

penguin3107
05-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Thank you so much for all your help it worked i had to call verizon and tell them i want the 15.00 tethering plan and that was it... the two (Macbook pro and BlackBerry 8830) have been inseparable ever since.... thanks for your help!!!

No problem. Glad you're up and running!

Solari
06-02-2007, 01:57 AM
WWAN Support.

I'm rather new to Macs (I have a MacBook I bought about a year ago) and BlackBerries (8703e, Verizon). I also have the full data and tethering plan.

How do I get this WWAN thing to turn on my laptop and use it? I did download the WWAN update from the Apple website.

I'm just confused how to get this to work with the BB for bluetooth tethering. Is there some sort of guide or steps I can take to make this work? I'd love to be able to surf wirelessly on the MacBook!

Thanks!
Ray

Sarlic
06-03-2007, 12:16 PM
I've finally gotten the 8830 to connect to verizon via USB, but now I definitely would love to get it to work on BT DUN.

Is there an online tutorial to get this working for newbies at this like me? I have the device syncing via Bluetooth, but when I try to add a BT Modem via the phone, it won't work.

I've noticed than whenever I have the device connected via bluetooth, in the Windows Device Manager, I have a "Bluetooth Peripheral Device" coming up under "other devices" and it indicates that it didn't install properly -- no drivers. I've searched all of the CDs that came with the device and googled on the internet about this, but can't seem to find any answers!

Thanks!

bluOctopus
06-11-2007, 08:17 PM
penguin3107 - thanks for all the helpful info in this forum thread. Using the info you provide I was easily able to get the Bluetooth DUN working on my MacBook Pro in a couple minutes. Thanks for the help!

Guy

dkowal
06-12-2007, 04:36 AM
Since they wanna know...

Tethering on the BB - Connecting your BB to your laptop computer and using EVDO for DUN (Dial Up Networking).

With the unlimited data plan, this allows you to sit at an airport and use your nice BIG screen on your laptop to roam the internet via your BB device.

For those that were wondering.

Thanks,

maxima
06-14-2007, 12:41 PM
I've been trying to get BT DUN to work, using WinXP. No problems with USB cable and yes, I pay the $15 for tethering. When I try and connect either through VZAccess or my Thinkpad connection, it hangs when authenticating username/password. VZ tech support says that BT DUN is not supported on this device and won't help me. Any ideas?

THANKS!!

penguin3107
06-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Any ideas?

Get a Mac. ;)

celler
06-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Get a Mac. ;)

I originally misunderstood. Just because it is not supported doesn't mean it won't work.

Thanks.

penguin3107
06-14-2007, 02:07 PM
I can't see how that would help if the BB doesn't support Bluetooth DUN. Same result on a Mac or PC.

Have you even bothered to read this thread?
Bluetooth DUN works fine on a Mac.

maxima
06-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Just to clarify, the PC connects to the 8830 but when it tries to authenticate the username/password it hangs and comes back with "error 721 - remote computer did not respond".

celler
06-15-2007, 10:12 AM
I had been using VZaccess manager to access blackberry tethering.

Once I paired up the 8830 to windows with bluetooth, DUN has now been activated and almost all web browsing calls DUN. Even after the device was deleted from the bluetooth (toshiba's newest stack) config.

I need to correct this nonsense.

I encountered the same problem. After deleting the 8830 bluetooth config, I went into Network Connections and deleted the two dial up networking entries the bluetooth configuration placed there. After rebooting, everything is back to normal. Yet, I still have not successfully set up bluetooth DUN through the 8830.

I suspect that the solution rests in the settings (user id, password, phone number) that the Verizon desktop software automatically enters for its propreitary tethered modem program that must be manually entered in the bluetooth setup.

The bluetooth configuration utility on my Sony Viao also mucks with the network settings to apparently require a call to the dialup network connection each time a web page is opened. There should be a way to disable this, but I have not found it yet.

It would appear that our Mac friends have it easier on this front, but I don't have a choice of what I use for business.

Craig.

maloniea
06-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Just to clarify, the PC connects to the 8830 but when it tries to authenticate the username/password it hangs and comes back with "error 721 - remote computer did not respond".

I was getting the same 721 error, then I found that if I connect the USB cable to my 8830, it connects successfully..

then if I unplug the USB cable, it still works using the bluetooth connection!

but if I try to start to connect via bluetooth with the USB cable unplugged, it doesn't establish a connection, and gives me the 721 error... very strange

does anyone know how to get around this issue?

moetech
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM

can anyone help me out on this set up ?

im on a macbook pro and trying to use the blackberry via bluetooth
ive already paired the device with my lap top ..

username :10digitnumber@<hidden>
password :vzw
phone number :10 digitnumber with no spaces
Modem script :Apple Internal 56k modem (v.92)

should i select something different for modem script ???
what am i doing wrong ? everytime i try and connect i get

"a modem error occurred.please verify your settings"

penguin3107
07-02-2007, 07:35 AM
can anyone help me out on this set up ?

im on a macbook pro and trying to use the blackberry via bluetooth
ive already paired the device with my lap top ..

username :10digitnumber@<hidden>
password :vzw
phone number :10 digitnumber with no spaces
Modem script :Apple Internal 56k modem (v.92)

should i select something different for modem script ???
what am i doing wrong ? everytime i try and connect i get

"a modem error occurred.please verify your settings"

You've got a handful of problems with your setup.

The username should be 10digitphonenumber@<hidden>.com
Make sure you have the .com at the end

Modem script should be WWAN Support.

Also, make sure you have the $15 blackberry modem tethering plan on your verizon account.
Tethering won't work without it.

World Edition
07-04-2007, 06:14 PM
This thing is driving me up the wall.

I 1) have enabled tethering on my account and it works fine by USB; 2) have installed bluetooth on my XP laptop; 3) successfully paired the 8830 with the laptop; and 4) entered the suggested settings (username, password, etc) above for a Bluetooth modem on "Bluetooth Connection". (Note also: "Bluetooth Modem" shows on the laptop as an available network connection)

It tries to dial, but comes up with a stated modem error.

The laptop shows DUN as a bluetooth service available on the device. The Blackberry, however, appears to list every virtually every other service paired with the laptop *except* DUN.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I suspect that this is somehow something VZW has disabled....

(I also would really like to pair it with a Nokia 770, but understand that won't work until I get it to go first with a laptop.)

cwosigns
07-04-2007, 09:08 PM
I have the 8830 and a MacBook. For those of you using the 8830 via BT DUN, can you tell me what kind of speeds you're getting? I have a USB720 that I use and it's plenty fast, but I don't like that it sticks way out. If I'm parked at a desk or something it's fine, but if I'm in the car or something it would be nice to have the 8830 and DUN as a viable option...just concerned about speed. I know it won't be AS fast as the USB720, but if it's still pretty fast I'd like to maybe try it.

Thanks!

superkame
07-05-2007, 10:11 AM
The $15 extra for tethering is rip imo. When you have a data plan you should be able to do what ever you want with that data plan.

It is like the GPS, oh yea, it has gps, but we disable it till you give us a monthly payment to use it...

a RIP, but i still order it cause i want it... sigh. love/hate

szefte
09-18-2007, 06:48 PM
If blackberries use standard DUN profile, why is it so difficult to get it working?
I have a HP Jornada 728 Handheld PC and i was able to succesfully connect it via bluetooth with a nokia 6300 phone. I have been told many times it is not possible to connect the HPC to a blackberry because it needs to run Desktop software. Why?

Hey_dude
01-24-2008, 10:32 PM
I was successfully able to tether my Verizon Blackberry 8830 to my MacBook Pro Running OS 10.5X. With this inline, would I be able to cancel my $15/month VZWAccess plan? Or is this required for me to be able to tether?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

penguin3107
01-25-2008, 07:32 AM
I was successfully able to tether my Verizon Blackberry 8830 to my MacBook Pro Running OS 10.5X. With this inline, would I be able to cancel my $15/month VZWAccess plan? Or is this required for me to be able to tether?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

It's required.
If you cancel it, tethering will cease to function.

DJHess
01-25-2008, 07:55 AM

I have a similar problem. I have a MacBook Pro, running Leopard everything is updated. I am currently Deployed to Kuwait and my Sprint BB 8830 works fine, good GSM signal, but no PAM. Paid the $15 PAM fee and when unable to connect due to same message in quote, Sprint told me that PAM would not work and they were having problems with everybody that is GSM roaming. I DO NOT BELIEVE HER, it's probably just an easy answer because nobody knows how to config the computer.

Anyways...I was able to use BT DUN at home in the states. Slow, but functional. Now that I need to use BB PAM, I'm unable.

On Apple WWAN support page it does not list BB as supported.

About this update
The WWAN Support Update v1.0 provides SW support for the following WWAN products:

Available on the Cingular network:
•Novatel Merlin XU870 ExpressCard (HSDPA)

Available on the Sprint network:
•Novatel Wireless Merlin EX720 Express Card (EVDO Rev. A)
•Novatel Wireless Ovation U720 USB Modem (USB Adapter, EVDO Rev. A)

Available on the Verizon network:
•Novatel XV620 ExpressCard (EVDO Rev. 0)
•Novatel V740 ExpressCard (EVDO Rev. A)
•Novatel Wireless Ovation U720 (USB Adapter, EVDO Rev. A)

When configuring computer BT DUN:

Configuration: Default
Telephone Number: #777
Account Name: <BLANK>
Password: <BLANK>

Does anyone have information to help me, I could use some good technical help.

Thank you in advance,
DJ

Siffleu
02-28-2008, 02:18 PM
even after reading this : Uncrippling Bluetooth in Vista RTM | Dev-Toast (http://www.dev-toast.com/2007/01/05/uncrippling-bluetooth-in-vista-rtm)

I'm still with the same problem

can't see my 8830 as bluetooth modem with my Lenovo T61 with Vista...

SVT Amateur
02-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Wow, glad I stumbled upon this thread. I have no problem using my Verizon 8830 as a wireless modem using bluetooth on my Macbook Pro running Mac OS X 10.5.2 but when running Windows Vista Ultimate with all the latest updates I still can't use the 8830 as a wireless modem with bluetooth and instead have to use the USB tethering cable. It's not so bad because I have less dropped connection issues using the USB cable than I do with the bluetooth under Mac OS X but I like just leaving my 8830 in my pocket and being able to browse the web instead of having to whip it out and plug it in anytime I need internet under Vista.

topdj
04-09-2008, 09:36 PM
well I cant get my 8830 to show up as a modem even with a USB cable
tried manual install, did a search here on installing but did not find,
PC both xp and vista business of them dont see the device as a modem

topdj
04-09-2008, 10:05 PM
follow up that alltel download installs the 8830 modem perfectly THANKS
on both my xp and vista, I dont care that Im using the cable because its way faster with the usb

jedibrand
08-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Here's the solution for Sprint on Mac OS 10.5, Leopard:

1. Add new bluetooth device via Bluetooth Prefs (make sure your phone is discoverable first, usually under Options > Bluetooth > Add new device)

2. Once you've added the device (don't quote me on the exact phrasing, but make sure to check off "Connect to internet using this device", at the end of the bluetooth setup wizard), configure the connection settings as follows.

2a. #777 for Tel No., blank for both user and pass.

2b. Finally, under Advanced, Choose "other" for vendor, and PCS Intel EV-DO 1.0 for Model.

2c. Apply the settings, and connect via Bluetooth modem!

KimMazz
08-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Here's the solution for Sprint on Mac OS 10.5, Leopard:

1. Add new bluetooth device via Bluetooth Prefs (make sure your phone is discoverable first, usually under Options > Bluetooth > Add new device)

2. Once you've added the device (don't quote me on the exact phrasing, but make sure to check off "Connect to internet using this device", at the end of the bluetooth setup wizard), configure the connection settings as follows.

2a. #777 for Tel No., blank for both user and pass.

2b. Finally, under Advanced, Choose "other" for vendor, and PCS Intel EV-DO 1.0 for Model.

2c. Apply the settings, and connect via Bluetooth modem!

Just to clarify, you must use the pound sign or number sign in your phone number. It's not 777, but #777. I have a macbook, I followed the instructions as above and it works for me.