PDA

View Full Version : verizon software update

jastclark
05-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Just FYI Verizon has posted a handheld software update for the the 8703e the site to get it is vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry, unfortunately it's not 4.2 but it maybe more stable. If anyone knows the changes post them so that we are aware.

cpalmer17
05-24-2007, 10:53 AM
The software you mentioned is for the desktop, not the device. In order to get the latest features (a la the ones available now to GSM version 8703e's), VZW needs to post 4.2 for the device, not the desktop. No one knows when they might do this.

GoblueNextel
05-24-2007, 11:05 AM
The software you mentioned is for the desktop, not the device. In order to get the latest features (a la the ones available now to GSM version 8703e's), VZW needs to post 4.2 for the device, not the desktop. No one knows when they might do this.

No it IS for the DEVICE.

GoblueNextel
05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
Ok...that was wierd....it is now changed....

I did download this (8703eEFSBP_PBr4.1.0_rel539_PL2.2.0.176_A4.1.0.377.exe) just after I read this (first) post. It now shows the old date....

Odd....Maybe they are getting ready to release 4.2.

It did say todays date BTW...

No BS.

whsbuss
05-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Ok...that was wierd....it is now changed....

I did download this (8703eEFSBP_PBr4.1.0_rel539_PL2.2.0.176_A4.1.0.377.exe) just after I read this (first) post. It now shows the old date....

Odd....Maybe they are getting ready to release 4.2.

It did say todays date BTW...

No BS.

I did 3 refreshes and it still shows the 4.1 release from last September.

jastclark
05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
i checked again and I see today's date...
after installing the new one my handheld seems to respond faster and my today theme works better.

Nomis
05-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Gotta agree with JC. Just went to the update page and they had this...

BlackBerry Device Software v4.1 (updated 5-23-2007)
Note: This download is for the BlackBerry 8703e from Verizon Wireless only.

Old software with a new date...

JSanders
05-24-2007, 01:51 PM
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/77909-vzw-8830-device-software-posted.html

mjbanks
05-24-2007, 04:20 PM
I can't download the file. I put in my phone number and it tells me:

Could not find the file. Please contact Verizon helpdesk.

After reading the posts here, I'm doubting it actually is the OS 4.2 update, but if it is, I'll be a very very happy camper (y)

whsbuss
05-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I can't download the file. I put in my phone number and it tells me:

Could not find the file. Please contact Verizon helpdesk.

After reading the posts here, I'm doubting it actually is the OS 4.2 update, but if it is, I'll be a very very happy camper (y)

I downloaded it earlier but not installing. Its the same OS 4.1.0.344 already on the 8703e.

divine77
05-24-2007, 06:17 PM
I just downloaded 4.2

GoblueNextel
05-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I just downloaded 4.2

That's the desktop.

dwp1975
05-24-2007, 10:19 PM
so this OS has nothing new?

jltx114
05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
bump. no differences? anyone?

so this OS has nothing new?

bbbforums
05-26-2007, 01:11 PM
When I checked on the 24th, it had the old version .344 with the new date of 5/23/2007.

I just checked again and it now has version .377.

Installed the update OK, but so far can't see any changes.

whsbuss
05-27-2007, 06:32 AM
When I checked on the 24th, it had the old version .344 with the new date of 5/23/2007.

I just checked again and it now has version .377.

Installed the update OK, but so far can't see any changes.

Anyone know what the update affects? I haven't applied it yet to my 8703e.

whsbuss
05-27-2007, 07:55 AM
I loaded the new OS. One thing I noticed is the 2007 DST patch I previously added says it cannot find the patch. I assume the new OS already has the patch but I cannot delete it. Anyone else notice this?

It was loaded as part of the DM backup.

chascent
05-27-2007, 08:05 AM
I applied the new os...I noticed one thing immediately. My volume level increased dramatically. where before I had the volume up almost full, now I have it at only 1 bar and its louder then the almost full with previous os.

I also noticed that my free memory increased by 4 megs.... I am very pleased.

Anyone else have any other observations?

Charlie C

Nomis
05-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I didn't have a problem with the DST patch on my end when I upgraded.... but its still early.

MotoUp
05-30-2007, 03:34 PM
The upgrade went just fine, and I checked the DST patch, but it said the patch was installed, but couldn't do the download. Everything else seems to be working fine though.

I uninstalled the DST patch just fine, but don't know if I should reinstall it or if it was built into the update.

whsbuss
05-31-2007, 06:06 AM
The upgrade went just fine, and I checked the DST patch, but it said the patch was installed, but couldn't do the download. Everything else seems to be working fine though.

I uninstalled the DST patch just fine, but don't know if I should reinstall it or if it was built into the update.

The updated OS already has the DST patch within the core BB app. No need for the old patch.

Nomis
05-31-2007, 06:40 AM
For some reason after the upgrade I have had to go through the Enterprise Activation all over again and that seems to be giving me some problems (won't go past "Waiting for Services..."

We'll see what happens next.

** Update **

This was actually a BES issue on our end, not related to the upgrade.

jgb@etree
05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Anyone know if it's possible to track down a changelog to see a list of what the differences between .344 and .377 are?

MotoUp
05-31-2007, 08:45 AM
For some reason after the upgrade I have had to go through the Enterprise Activation all over again and that seems to be giving me some problems (won't go past "Waiting for Services..."

We'll see what happens next.
I'm not sure about this either. Mine showed the enterprise activation icon again, but since it was working and I was receiving emails, and everything was syncing up, I didn't actually do the activation, but just hid the icon instead.

jgb@etree
05-31-2007, 09:07 AM
FYI... Just noticed this regarding the DST patch while installing .377:

Applications to be installed or updated:
BlackBerry 4.1 System Software
BlackBerry 4.1 Core Applications
........lotsa apps here....
LBS
Vodafone
Vodafone Today
net_rim_bb_timezoneotapatcher

Unrecognized modules that will be removed:
net_rim_bb_timezoneupdater

It tells you during the upgrade that iit will remove the DST patch

BBCrackhead
05-31-2007, 09:16 AM
FYI... Just noticed this regarding the DST patch while installing .377:

Applications to be installed or updated:
BlackBerry 4.1 System Software
BlackBerry 4.1 Core Applications
........lotsa apps here....
LBS
Vodafone
Vodafone Today
net_rim_bb_timezoneotapatcher

Unrecognized modules that will be removed:
net_rim_bb_timezoneupdater

It tells you during the upgrade that iit will remove the DST patch

That seems to be correct because if you go to Options >> 2007 DST Patch after the upgrade, you get the following message

2007 DST Patch Manager is running...
Patch not found : Trying again at May 31, 2006 9:00 AM

I think it just keeps trying every few minutes. Does this update include the new time zone fix and if so, can we safely remove the DST patch manager?

whsbuss
05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
That seems to be correct because if you go to Options >> 2007 DST Patch after the upgrade, you get the following message

2007 DST Patch Manager is running...
Patch not found : Trying again at May 31, 2006 9:00 AM

I think it just keeps trying every few minutes. Does this update include the new time zone fix and if so, can we safely remove the DST patch manager?

Yes it does. I have removed my old DST patch.

jgb@etree
05-31-2007, 04:20 PM
I called my business acct mgr today, and he's going to email a changelog over to me today.

So far, I've only noticed one 'improvement' and one change...

I use the Vodafone Today theme, and the Messages list on the home screen has been renamed Email, which I like.

Not sure if the 'improvement' is also theme related, but I have never been able to get BB Messenger to alert on messages, despite having the profile configured correctly. Now the vibrating alert works. I put the word 'improvement' in quotes because I'm not sure that I like the audible/vibrating alert for BB Msgr... It's getting annoying already. I might have to modify my profile...

Also, someone mentioned a huge improvement in the phone volume - I haven't noticed this at all...

I was *hoping* that my two biggest pet peeves would be addressed, but they haven't. I was looking for:

1. Increased Speakerphone volume
2. Elimination of tones when manually dialing a phone number.

Oh well...

What changes have other people found?

smallville20
05-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Yes it does. I have removed my old DST patch.

What steps did you perform to remove the old DST patch? Did you simply delete net_rim_bb_timezoneotapatcher from OPTIONS | ADVANCED OPTIONS| APPLICATIONS? Or is there more to it than that?

When I attempted to download it from the OPTIONS | 2007 DST PATCH | DOWNLOAD after installing the updated OS, it told me that it was not found and to try again later. As long as you say that it exists in what I just installed from VZWs website... I may as well do away with the old residue, right?

whsbuss
06-01-2007, 06:53 AM
What steps did you perform to remove the old DST patch? Did you simply delete net_rim_bb_timezoneotapatcher from OPTIONS | ADVANCED OPTIONS| APPLICATIONS? Or is there more to it than that?

When I attempted to download it from the OPTIONS | 2007 DST PATCH | DOWNLOAD after installing the updated OS, it told me that it was not found and to try again later. As long as you say that it exists in what I just installed from VZWs website... I may as well do away with the old residue, right?

I used the desktop manager under application loader. Just uncheck the rim_bb_timezoneotadatcher. Worked for me.

pronerd
06-03-2007, 03:01 PM
Grrrr.... I tried to download the 4.1 update for the 8703e, but Verizon's web site told me "The number you have entered: XXXXXXXXXX is not a valid Verizon Wireless phone number". Yes I entered my actual number I just Xed out here for privacy.

I called customer service they told me since I do not have a data plan on my phone my account does not show up as a BB account and as such I can not down load the update.

I tried BlackBerry's web site, no dice. It just forwards you to Verizion's site.

I also tried downloading the Sprint version of the update for the 8703e. No dice it said it is not compatible with my device. Even after making some modifications to the ALX file it would not work.

Any one have any ideas on how I can get around this? The only other thing I can think of might be to go to a store and get the phone number of one of the demo models. I do not really like the idea of misrepresenting my self though.

crazydude
06-04-2007, 07:48 PM
Grrrr.... I tried to download the 4.1 update for the 8703e, but Verizon's web site told me "The number you have entered: XXXXXXXXXX is not a valid Verizon Wireless phone number". Yes I entered my actual number I just Xed out here for privacy.

I called customer service they told me since I do not have a data plan on my phone my account does not show up as a BB account and as such I can not down load the update.

I tried BlackBerry's web site, no dice. It just forwards you to Verizion's site.

I also tried downloading the Sprint version of the update for the 8703e. No dice it said it is not compatible with my device. Even after making some modifications to the ALX file it would not work.

Any one have any ideas on how I can get around this? The only other thing I can think of might be to go to a store and get the phone number of one of the demo models. I do not really like the idea of misrepresenting my self though.

you can install sprint OS

How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_upgrade_the_OS_on_my_BlackBerry%3F)

hope this helps

pronerd
06-04-2007, 11:00 PM
you can install sprint OS

How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ (http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_upgrade_the_OS_on_my_BlackBerry%3F)

hope this helps

As I mentioned I tried the Sprint BB OS. It would not install I got a message saying the software was not compatible for my device. I tried playing with the _venderID attributes but it was a no go.

kitmoni
06-05-2007, 06:43 AM
Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I noticed an interesting change. I've been frustrated in the past by the inability to define or change the browser used to follow links from an email. I've tried setting the default browser, looking for something in email options - all to no avail. I've been copying the link text and pasting it into to browser to accomplish this task.

Now that I've done the upgrade, my default browser settings completely control the browser used - so the net result is that I can now follow links from within an email (like BBF WAP links!). I haven't noticed any difference in the volume, but I did see the new DST fix was already there.

Any progress on getting the change log?

jgb@etree
06-05-2007, 06:59 AM
Any progress on getting the change log?

Still waiting... I just sent my acct mgr another email. He claims they're working on compiling it, and will send to me asap :|

I'll post it here once it comes over

kitmoni
06-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Wirelessly posted (Thumpers 8700c: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Thanks!!

jvbeardsley
07-16-2007, 06:15 AM
I called my business acct mgr today, and he's going to email a changelog over to me today.

So far, I've only noticed one 'improvement' and one change...

I use the Vodafone Today theme, and the Messages list on the home screen has been renamed Email, which I like.

Not sure if the 'improvement' is also theme related, but I have never been able to get BB Messenger to alert on messages, despite having the profile configured correctly. Now the vibrating alert works. I put the word 'improvement' in quotes because I'm not sure that I like the audible/vibrating alert for BB Msgr... It's getting annoying already. I might have to modify my profile...

Also, someone mentioned a huge improvement in the phone volume - I haven't noticed this at all...

I was *hoping* that my two biggest pet peeves would be addressed, but they haven't. I was looking for:

1. Increased Speakerphone volume
2. Elimination of tones when manually dialing a phone number.

Oh well...

What changes have other people found?

Has anybody noticed whether or not the update fixes the problem where occasionally after reading an SMS/text message, it stays listed on the Today screen? Right now, I have to open the message again, mark it as unread, close it, open it again and mark it as read in order to remove it from the Today screen. This is a known issue as I've read that others have the same problem from time to time. Thanks!

jgb@etree
07-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Has anybody noticed whether or not the update fixes the problem where occasionally after reading an SMS/text message, it stays listed on the Today screen? Right now, I have to open the message again, mark it as unread, close it, open it again and mark it as read in order to remove it from the Today screen. This is a known issue as I've read that others have the same problem from time to time. Thanks!

It doesn't fix it - i still have the same problem w/ Vodafone Today.

jvbeardsley
07-16-2007, 06:57 AM
:cry:

zerog46
07-16-2007, 01:10 PM
Where can you get the today screen for the 8703e.

JSanders
07-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Where can you get the today screen for the 8703e.

If you mean "theme", check in the Media section of this forum and look around.

zerog46
07-16-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm Sorry I was not able to find the today theme for the 8703e just wondering if it's possible to use it with this device.

jastclark
07-17-2007, 03:24 PM
I talked to my data sales manager yesterday and when i pushed him about a release of 4.2 for the 8703e he said
"As with everything the dates keep sliding. We are waiting for release from RIM (set for July 23). Once we have it it will go through our lab. Now being told late August to early September."

jgb@etree
07-17-2007, 04:23 PM
I can't remember if Vodafone Today requires the Plazmic Theme Reader, but I do know that the base Vodafone theme has to be installed for Vodafone Today (Best theme, IMO. Been using since my 7250 days) to work

Plazmic Theme Reader can be found here:
http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/com_plazmic_theme_reader.jad

Base Vodafone Theme can be found here:
http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/8700_today/8700_vodafone.jad

Vodafone Today Theme can be found here:
http://www.knology.net/~acidmax/blackberry/8700_today/8700_vodafone_today.jad

My recomendation would be to install the Plazmic Theme Reader, reboot, install the base Vodafone Theme, then install Vodafone Today, then select Vodafone Today and you're all set

whsbuss
07-17-2007, 07:42 PM
I talked to my data sales manager yesterday and when i pushed him about a release of 4.2 for the 8703e he said
"As with everything the dates keep sliding. We are waiting for release from RIM (set for July 23). Once we have it it will go through our lab. Now being told late August to early September."

Just to confirm this from my insider @<hidden> VZW, 2nd week in September is the current "target" release date.

jgb@etree
07-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Just to confirm this from my insider @<hidden> VZW, 2nd week in September is the current "target" release date.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not going to hold my breath! 8-)

whsbuss
07-18-2007, 01:44 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm not going to hold my breath! 8-)

That's a good idea. Holding your breath could be hazardous to your health!

smallville20
07-18-2007, 04:58 PM
My father-in-law just walked into his first BlackBerry (that new World Phone from VZW). Since it came with 4.2 on it, I decided to steal it from him long enough to play. When I finished, I told him he could keep it. Maybe I'm just so used to 4.1... but I wasn't sold on 4.2.

He, on the other hand, loves it.

whsbuss
07-19-2007, 06:51 AM
My father-in-law just walked into his first BlackBerry (that new World Phone from VZW). Since it came with 4.2 on it, I decided to steal it from him long enough to play. When I finished, I told him he could keep it. Maybe I'm just so used to 4.1... but I wasn't sold on 4.2.

He, on the other hand, loves it.

I'm not sure comparing the 8703 to the 8830 is a fair way to determine OS 4.2 usability. I too do not like the 8830 but for different reasons (like the keypad).

smallville20
07-19-2007, 06:58 AM
I'm not sure comparing the 8703 to the 8830 is a fair way to determine OS 4.2 usability. I too do not like the 8830 but for different reasons (like the keypad).

I understnad that these are two seperate devices... but since I can't see 4.2 on an 8703e, I used a phone that had it to reference my experience. My response was in no way related to the keyboard and trackball (which I hate as well). My response was specific to the upgraded OS.

jscheier
07-19-2007, 08:24 AM
The World phone is more user friendly (the OS) however, the phone sucks and I returned it. Keypad is horrible, along w/ the ringer and vibrate. In addition, no one could hear me when I spoke.

I switched to the 8703, besides the OS and size, it is a lot better.

ofelas
11-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Would anyone know where I can get a copy of the May/June (initial) Device OS software for the VZW 8830? Thx.

ofelas
11-07-2007, 09:00 AM
The software I'm looking for is Device OS version 4.2.2.66
Thx.

Dawg
11-07-2007, 12:22 PM
The software I'm looking for is Device OS version 4.2.2.66
Thx.

Unless someone has it saved your out of luck

camping147
11-07-2007, 09:11 PM
i got 4.2 OS from the verizon download site today.

Dawg
11-07-2007, 09:20 PM
i got 4.2 OS from the verizon download site today.

hes looking for a different device software