PDA

View Full Version : Unlocked 8300 = Unbranded 8300

Tastic7
05-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Hi,

I'm wondering if the Cingular version of the Curve can be unlocked to the extent that its software is the equivalent of an unbranded Curve. I'm not asking how to unlock the phone, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to e-mail, browse the web, send SMS and MMS, etc. with T-Mobile and a Cingular unlocked Curve. I hope this is possible, because I want to pick up the Cingular 8300 as soon as it's released, which is presumably sometime in the next two weeks.

- Tastic

John Clark
05-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes, unlocked will make it completely useable on any network. It will always say Cingular on the startup screen though.

Tastic7
05-25-2007, 10:45 PM
Excellent, I appreciate your help. I cannot wait to get my hands on the Curve.

- Tastic

takeshi
05-26-2007, 02:02 AM
With all BB's the config is handled by the service books pushed by your carrier and not by the OS load on the device. If you can unlock a GSM BB you can use it on another GSM carrier (provided that the proper frequencies are supported) that offers BB data.

Tastic7
05-26-2007, 02:40 AM
So AT&T is releasing the Curve, and I'm using T-Mobile. Can I expect to unlock a Cingular BB Curve and have service books pushed from T-Mobile to my device? Does T-Mobile even have the service books if the device isn't sold by them?

- Tastic

greggebhardt
05-26-2007, 06:27 AM
So AT&T is releasing the Curve, and I'm using T-Mobile. Can I expect to unlock a Cingular BB Curve and have service books pushed from T-Mobile to my device? Does T-Mobile even have the service books if the device isn't sold by them?

- Tastic

The T-Mo service books are pretty well a standard Blackberry thing and will work fine. The service books simply give your 8300 what is required to be on the Blackberry data network.

sjsilverman
05-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Actually, you may have some issues at the beginning. If it is an unsupported Blackberry, Tmo won't push all the books. I've had this problem with my unbranded 7130g, which Tmo doesn't support. I still can't get some of the browser books pushed to me.

That being said, you will get the books you need for MOST uses, but there will be some limitations, especially with multimedia and with browsing.

This will all change if and when Tmobile decides to support the 8300, as then they'll push all the books.

takeshi
05-27-2007, 01:30 PM
I doubt this is the case with the 8300 though, based on archer6's experiences with unlocking and using an O2 8300 here but then again, we've had a pretty good idea that the major US GSM carriers seem to intend to offer it.

Tastic7
05-27-2007, 02:41 PM
Awesome, sounds like I don't have too much to worry about. I can't wait for the Curve to be released, it's driving me crazy!

- Tastic