PDA

View Full Version : Crude spam filter

WNO
05-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Because there has (apparently) been a recent wave of spam hitting blackberry.net addresses, I've been thinking about how I can minimize the disruption if/when my turn comes around. Because my blackberry.net addr is inadvisably short, it wouldn't take the spammers long to nail me.

This is what I have so far: Like many others here, I don't give out my blackberry.net addr, and use it only for mail forwarded from my gmail and hotmail accts, the occasional e-mail from my wife, and the occasional work e-mail too urgent to trust to gmail, hotmail, or the desktop redirector. In the BWC, I've set up a filter that looks for the following conditions: (1) sent to/cc does not include xxx@<hidden>; (2) sent to/cc does not include xxx@<hidden>; (3) from does not include [wife's addr]; and (4) subject does not contain Urgent. If each (or "all") of these conditions are met, the e-mail is not from a recognized source, and is accordingly sent to purgatory.

One downside to this is that I wouldn't get mail for which I am a bcc recipient. [I suppose I could avoid this by changing conditions (1) and (2) to a condition that looks for mail addressed directly to my blackberry.net address] What are the other potential downsides? And, more importantly, what refinements should I consider?