PDA

View Full Version : Ring and Email alert thru Bluetooth?

Daedalus
05-31-2007, 03:58 PM
I've had the 8830 (VZN) for all of two days and have run into the first question I could not answer by searching the BBForums.

Previous devices would ring for the phone and sound a tone of some sort for email through the Bluetooth earpiece. I sure hope that the 8830 will too since I found out that I cannot hear the ring/beep from the device while driving and wearing the Bluetooth. I have scrolled through the menus but do not see an option. It may be there but i have yet to find it.

Anybody able to implement this 'feature'?

JSanders
05-31-2007, 04:50 PM
I don't believe the tone for an email will be audible in the BT earpiece.
I just now tried on my 8800, and no go. That is why in a loud place I use vibrate for email and messages so I can feel it.

Daedalus
05-31-2007, 04:58 PM
I don't believe the tone for an email will be audible in the BT earpiece.
I just now tried on my 8800, and no go. That is why in a loud place I use vibrate for email and messages so I can feel it.

Do you get a ring in the earpiece for phone calls? That's really a LOT more important to me. I'm not wearing the phone while driving so the vibrate is not going to help there.

EmptyInTheHead
05-31-2007, 05:01 PM
I get like a "beep-beep" in my BT headset for phone calls on an 8830. Nothing for messages though.

snowmangoh
05-31-2007, 05:13 PM
You would need an BT earpeice that supports that function (like the jabra BT-800), and a phone device that is A2DP compatable (I don't know about the 8830, but the 8800 isn't yet). The BT-800 earpeice actualy has a "From Phone" in it's ringer options that works on my wife's LG MP3 phone.

EDIT: The BT-800 also has a caller ID screen, vibrate options, and the option to redial any of your last ten calls from your CID log.

Daedalus
05-31-2007, 08:00 PM
I get like a "beep-beep" in my BT headset for phone calls on an 8830. Nothing for messages though.

Combining replies it sounds as if there are some BT headsets that have the capability, others do not. Emptyinthe Head - what BT are you using?

EmptyInTheHead
06-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Combining replies it sounds as if there are some BT headsets that have the capability, others do not. Emptyinthe Head - what BT are you using?I'm using a Plantronics Voyager 510 headset.

snowmangoh
06-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Combining replies it sounds as if there are some BT headsets that have the capability, others do not. Emptyinthe Head - what BT are you using?

You are correct, but like I said, even if you have a headset with that ability, your Bluetooth on your phone has to be A2DP compatible.

ChipFTAC01
06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm using a Plantronics Voyager 510 headset.

FWIW, on my TMO 8800 with the same Plantronics, it beeps at me for phone calls.