PDA

View Full Version : Does remote unlocking void warranty?

jgoldenb
05-31-2007, 07:01 PM
does unlocking a Blackberry void the Carrier's warranty ?

gsmps
05-31-2007, 07:35 PM
In a word, NO!

Every Blackberry has a menu to enter an unlock code. These phones wouldnt come that way if entering an unlock code would void its warranty

Plus would the carriers keep unlock codes if by handing them out it would void a phones warranty?

When someone opens your phone up to unlock it, that WILL void the warranty

2 Samuel 22
05-31-2007, 07:48 PM

No, but it's probably against the Terms & Conditions of certain wireless carriers.

gsmps
05-31-2007, 08:40 PM
No, but it's probably against the Terms & Conditions of certain wireless carriers.

Negative

Wireless carriers give customers unlock codes

2 Samuel 22
05-31-2007, 10:17 PM
Negative

Wireless carriers give customers unlock codes

Yes, but only under very specific circumstances.

Cingular/AT&T, for example, will only provide an unlock code if you "own" the device and/or only after a certain number of days of continuous service.

If you are traveling overseas and your carrier cannot provide you with coverage in that particular country then they may provide you with an unlock code.

VZW does not permit you to unlock the GSM side of the 8830 for use on other carriers and they have made it clear that it violates their T&C.

Lastly, if you choose to unlock your device through another means, ie. third party, then in most cases, you violate T&C.

gsmps
05-31-2007, 10:24 PM
You can enter an unlock code under any circumstances and you will not void anything

The Blackberry is designed to be unlocked, RIM made them this way ;-)

There is no difference between unlocking your phone with a code that AT&T supplies you or one that I supply you with. They both come from the same source.

I have helped people unlock several hundred thousand phones over the years and not one of them has had their warranty voided or violated their carriers terms & conditions

So PLEASE stop spreading your misinformation, since you obviously arent up to speed about the whole unlocking thing (y)

Inphektion
06-01-2007, 08:22 AM
You can enter an unlock code under any circumstances and you will not void anything

The Blackberry is designed to be unlocked, RIM made them this way ;-)

There is no difference between unlocking your phone with a code that AT&T supplies you or one that I supply you with. They both come from the same source.

I have helped people unlock several hundred thousand phones over the years and not one of them has had their warranty voided or violated their carriers terms & conditions

So PLEASE stop spreading your misinformation, since you obviously arent up to speed about the whole unlocking thing (y)

and just for a "proof is in the pudding" additive, I've had a bunch of phones unlocked (from gsmps) and many of the pearls lost that back silver clip to keep the back battery door on and they were all RMA'd with no problem. It does in fact, void nothing.

2 Samuel 22
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
gsmps,
You've obviously made some assumptions so I'll let you ride with it. ;-)

If I am wrong then please indulge me with old fashioned transparency and englightenment:

If it were so easy to get unlock codes from wireless carriers without restrictions then why are there so may flourishing websites offering to unlock your phone/Blackberry for a price? (yours included)

By your statement, one could deduce that they could simply purchase a phone or Blackberry from any wireless carrier for the lowest price and then immediately call them to get the unlock code for free.

So again, if there are no restrictions, terms, conditions, or hoops to jump through, then why would someone pay to get the unlock code instead of getting it from their wireless carrier for free?

Inphektion,
At no time did I say that unlocking your Blackberry voids your warranty, causes damage, or prevents you from getting it repaired or replaced.

What I am saying and will say again is that certain carriers, VZW being one, have expressly stated in their Terms and Conditions that you are not allowed to unlock your 8830 for use on another carrier's GSM network.

Some carriers, T-Mobile for example, will give you the unlock code with little fuss. Other carriers make you meet certain terms and conditions before they will give it to you.

I am well aware of the fact that you can lock and unlock Blackberry devices and doing so does not damage them. For the record, I have unlocked several Blackberrys for use overseas. I used the unlock codes given to me by the wireless carriers we have contracts with. They gave me the unlock codes for free. Certain wireless carriers required us to meet their terms and conditions before they would give them to us. Your mileage may vary.

I will restate my answer to the OP's question:

No, it does not void the warranty.

Unlocking your phone from a third party without meeting certain wireless carrier's requirements, violates that carrier's terms and conditions.

If you meet their requirements, they will give you the unlock code for free.

gsmps
06-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Well in regards to Verizon and unlocking I know now that unlock codes are impossible to get for their 8830s, so there is no way to currently violate their terms and conditions.

My whole point about this post is that there is nothing to fear by unlocking your phone. Its YOUR phone! Just unlock it, enjoy it, and if it breaks its still under warranty.

2 Samuel 22
06-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Well in regards to Verizon and unlocking I know now that unlock codes are impossible to get for their 8830s, so there is no way to currently violate their terms and conditions.

This guy claims he can do it for a price, a steep $89.99:
Unlock Your Blackberry 8830 Cell Phone from Verizon (http://www.unlockblackberry8830.com/)

My whole point about this post is that there is nothing to fear by unlocking your phone. Its YOUR phone! Just unlock it, enjoy it, and if it breaks its still under warranty.

I Agree. ;-) (y)

gsmps
06-01-2007, 07:39 PM
I thought I could too, but I submitted 5 8830 imeis and these are the only imeis that came back with no code.

Was worth a shot

Inphektion
06-01-2007, 07:40 PM
How do you violate terms and conditions and not violate a warranty. Will they not provide you service now if you've unlocked without their permission? No. A phone carrier is not required to unlock a phone for you. They can set terms and conditions you must meet before they will do such a thing. This is why there are flourishing sites providing unlock codes cause many people don't want to hassle with meeting those terms. However, by unlocking a phone you have done absolutely nothing wrong with your warranty or anything else. If you've violated terms it would only be the terms that would have had them unlock for you.

So I guess I just don't understand, if I can unlock a verizon 8830 what terms and conditions did I really violate? what are the repercusions? There are none except now they won't unlock for me if they ever would.