PDA

View Full Version : 8830 and disabled GPS

dperrone81
06-01-2007, 07:50 AM
This may have been posted but if anyone has any information on how to unlock the GPS on the 8830 please share. Also if you have heard any news from Verizon on what they plan on doing about this. Thanks

penguin3107
06-01-2007, 07:54 AM
You can't "unlock" the GPS in the 8830.
It is speculated that Verizon Wireless will soon be offering VZNavigator as a subscription service for 8830 users, which will utilize the internal GPS.
This would be the only way to use the Internal GPS.

Otherwise... buy yourself a bluetooth GPS puck and use whatever GPS software you want.

jungleland
06-01-2007, 08:18 AM
You can't "unlock" the GPS in the 8830.
It is speculated that Verizon Wireless will soon be offering VZNavigator as a subscription service for 8830 users, which will utilize the internal GPS.
This would be the only way to use the Internal GPS.

Otherwise... buy yourself a bluetooth GPS puck and use whatever GPS software you want.

What I don't understand is, if Verizon is going to offer VZ navigator on the 8830, that means the GPS will be open, I don't see how they can restrict the GPS to just vz navigator, unless they plan on ONLY opening up the GPS for each individual device that subscribes to VZ navigator, then of course I would assume that you can use any GPS program you would like once they open the GPS for you..

Runamuck
06-01-2007, 08:49 AM
Restricting access to the GPS via programming is pretty easy to do actually. You just need to have something in the apps or firmware that "authenticates" communications protocol between the app and the GPS receiver. This is typically an encrypted key. Depending on how VZW wished to implement it, you could provide this key on-the-fly at program initiation via a quick check with the central server using the data connection. Knowing how evil VZW is, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Nonetheless, for hackers, any access to the GPS receiver will be target numero uno. If you can create a proggie that "captures" the authentication string, you can then fake it with any other 3rd party application. So opening access to the on-board GPS in any fashion via "official" channels will likely result in a hack eventually. However, if VZW does indeed use server-side authentication routines, you'll see an arms race with them constantly changing that key, forcing you to constantly update your device with a new hack.

It's bad mojo all the way around.....

zero7404
06-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

i used vz NAV on a phone i had with vz b4 i dumped them. i think they use gps remotely and track the phones location via towers, so the device need not be equipped with a gps receiver...do they advertise your phone as gps-enabled ? If so then i can smell a class-action coming...i the meantime ull have 2 get a puck since what you have in your hand is a handicapped device right out of the box.

penguin3107
06-01-2007, 08:53 AM
What I don't understand is, if Verizon is going to offer VZ navigator on the 8830, that means the GPS will be open, I don't see how they can restrict the GPS to just vz navigator, unless they plan on ONLY opening up the GPS for each individual device that subscribes to VZ navigator, then of course I would assume that you can use any GPS program you would like once they open the GPS for you..

It's likely to be achieved with the use of a carrier-specific Service Book, much like the Internet Browser, or BIS accounts, etc...
You don't see many people hacking those.
I'm sure it'll be quite simple for Verizon to restrict the use of the Internal GPS to only VZnavigator subscribers.

People will try to circumvent this... and I predict they will fail.

zero7404
06-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

i used vz NAV on a phone i had with vz b4 i dumped them. i think they use gps remotely and track the phones location via towers, so the device need not be equipped with a gps receiver...do they advertise your phone as gps-enabled ? If so then i can smell a class-action coming...i the meantime ull have 2 get a puck since what you have in your hand is a handicapped device right out of the box.

penguin3107
06-01-2007, 08:54 AM
do they advertise your phone as gps-enabled ?

No, the 8830 is not advertized as being "GPS enabled".

horst
06-01-2007, 11:49 AM
No, the 8830 is not advertized as being "GPS enabled".

Actually, in one of VZW's catalogs (The Spring 2007 "Connect" Catalog with Justin Timberlake on the cover to be exact) listed underneath the Blackberry 8830 was this EXACT phrase:

"Built-in GPS"

I can't believe they would advertise it like that if they didn't have plans of enabling the GPS at least for the VZ Navigator. Did they ever advertise GPS on the 8703? Were there the same rumors that Verizon would eventually enable the GPS with the 8703 too? I just don't know if I should even get my hopes up for ever using the "Built-in GPS!"

someonexh
06-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Actually, in one of VZW's catalogs (The Spring 2007 "Connect" Catalog with Justin Timberlake on the cover to be exact) listed underneath the Blackberry 8830 was this EXACT phrase:

"Built-in GPS"

I can't believe they would advertise it like that if they didn't have plans of enabling the GPS at least for the VZ Navigator. Did they ever advertise GPS on the 8703? Were there the same rumors that Verizon would eventually enable the GPS with the 8703 too? I just don't know if I should even get my hopes up for ever using the "Built-in GPS!"

Hold on to that :)

Runamuck
06-01-2007, 12:13 PM
Yeah, I'd certainly be lining up to start my class-actions suit over this.....by the time the court finally rules on it (assuming you survive that long), cell phones will be embedded behind our ears at birth.

You'll get the GPS receiver enabled when VZW is good and ready to let you have it and not a minute sooner.

Sniperet
06-01-2007, 06:20 PM
While driving to DC today I heard a radio advertisement by Verizon touting the use of Blackberry maps for turn by turn directions. This would seem to indicate they are planning an update to turn on the GPS sytem. They will probably want to sell a subscription for its use.

someonexh
06-01-2007, 06:22 PM
While driving to DC today I heard a radio advertisement by Verizon touting the use of Blackberry maps for turn by turn directions. This would seem to indicate they are planning an update to turn on the GPS sytem. They will probably want to sell a subscription for its use.

What station? :) I am in DC area myself.

Sniperet
06-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I think it was 1090 AM out of Baltimore. It was some time between 8 and 9 this morning.

Hazarrd
06-01-2007, 07:35 PM

You don't need to have GPS to get turn by turn directions with Google Maps. What's funny is I walked into Verizon to return the 8830 (switched to 8800 on Cingular for the GPS) and the guy tried to tell me the same thing. I politely reminded him that that is making no use of the GPS, but only the data plan.

Sniperet
06-01-2007, 07:41 PM
You don't need to have GPS to get turn by turn directions with Google Maps. What's funny is I walked into Verizon to return the 8830 (switched to 8800 on Cingular for the GPS) and the guy tried to tell me the same thing. I politely reminded him that that is making no use of the GPS, but only the data plan.

The ad I heard this morning specifically stated Blackberry maps which will require the GPS to be active for turn instructions. Like I said I'm sure they are going to want some money to allow us to use it, just like they did with tethering after they figured out how to control its use.

someonexh
06-01-2007, 07:42 PM
The ad I heard this morning specifically stated Blackberry maps which will require the GPS to be active for turn instructions. Like I said I'm sure they are going to want some money to allow us to use it, just like they did with tethering after they figured out how to control its use.

Glad both of my cars have navigation :)

MikesTooLz
06-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Well I got some good news. I went down tomy local Verizon store today and talked with one of the managers about the GPS in the 8830 (he had just got one too)

I told him I was reading people posting all over the internet that verizon was going to be enabling GPS on the 8830 sometime in june or july. He smiled and said "Verizon hasn't sent out the oficial email yet but yes it's true".

And here is some more good news for us 8830 owners. He said they are working on getting the VZ Navigator working with the 8830 and it will be using some things that are in VCAST. At the same time the GPS is enabled Verizon will be enabling VCAST for the blackberry 8830.

whsbuss
06-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Well I got some good news. I went down tomy local Verizon store today and talked with one of the managers about the GPS in the 8830 (he had just got one too)

I told him I was reading people posting all over the internet that verizon was going to be enabling GPS on the 8830 sometime in june or july. He smiled and said "Verizon hasn't sent out the oficial email yet but yes it's true".

And here is some more good news for us 8830 owners. He said they are working on getting the VZ Navigator working with the 8830 and it will be using some things that are in VCAST. At the same time the GPS is enabled Verizon will be enabling VCAST for the blackberry 8830.

Well the big question is will Verizon release the GPS functionality for free or will they incorporate the VZ Navigator for GPS and charge for it - That's The Question!!

cdd543
06-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Well the big question is will Verizon release the GPS functionality for free or will they incorporate the VZ Navigator for GPS and charge for it - That's The Question!!

It will not be free..otherwise they wouldn't have disabled it in the beginning.
They don't want to miss another potential income stream.

Firefishe2
06-10-2007, 12:37 AM

...1. Charge for the use of VZ Navigator, it being a server-side function and set up as a commercial endeavor.

...2. Enable the use of the gps chip as a stand-alone solution at the same time, enabling the gps chip for third party applications.

I believe this to be a more probable outcome.

mattk0
06-12-2007, 08:01 AM
All for a low low price of 59.99 extra a month..

someonexh
06-12-2007, 08:04 AM
All for a low low price of 59.99 extra a month..

Hopefully we can sign a 2 year contract for that too!!:-o

smilingburgers
06-12-2007, 09:54 PM
enough all ready Verizon! :x

This is getting silly. Just enable the darn GPS!:cry: :cry:

bobbymo
06-12-2007, 11:39 PM

I was told the 8830 GPS was disabled so that when they soon introduce VZNavigator, they can charge $10-15/month for the service as they do on other models. Another cash stream for Verizon.

takeshi
06-13-2007, 11:14 AM
This is getting silly. Just enable the darn GPS!
Good luck. How long has the 8703e been out? Odds aren't so good...

Jase88
06-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Good luck. How long has the 8703e been out? Odds aren't so good...

The 8703e is A-GPS enabled--not true GPS like the 8800 series has.

tomtheguitarguy
06-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Well that's a bummer. I was looking into getting the VZW 8830 - I saw on the Blackberry website that it had GPS. Darn.

I already have a GPS puck - a DeLorme Bluetooth. If I pair it with the 8830, can I still use blackberry maps?

Thanks for the help!

tomtheguitarguy

penguin3107
06-13-2007, 07:46 PM
I already have a GPS puck - a DeLorme Bluetooth. If I pair it with the 8830, can I still use blackberry maps?

Yes, you can.

takeshi
06-14-2007, 09:42 AM
The 8703e is A-GPS enabled--not true GPS like the 8800 series has.
The point is that you can't use it on VZW. ;-)

ibmman69
06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
If anyone wants to talk about actually doing something about this please send me a pin message. My pin is listed above.