PDA

View Full Version : 8830 Video Help

jhensley
06-03-2007, 07:02 PM
I've tried multiple times and ways to get my new 8830 to play videos. I've converted DVD's and files to avi files but they do not play. The screen show error "The media being played is of a unsupported format".

Anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Stinsonddog
06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Wirelessly posted (9900: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

When you have them on your PC in a format that plays and is seen by Roxio (DM sp2) use that to transfer it to the BB.

jhensley
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't seem to figure out how to import DVD's into Roxio to send to the Blackberry. I was using the Blackberry video creator and converted the files to avi format and then transferred it to my memory card. When I try to play the video from the memory card I get the error. I would think that the Blackberry video creator would create the file in a format that Blackberry could play

someonexh
06-04-2007, 06:50 AM
I can't seem to figure out how to import DVD's into Roxio to send to the Blackberry. I was using the Blackberry video creator and converted the files to avi format and then transferred it to my memory card. When I try to play the video from the memory card I get the error. I would think that the Blackberry video creator would create the file in a format that Blackberry could play

You might need to use another program to take out the encryption, I remember reading about someone having these issues as well.

jhensley
06-04-2007, 01:17 PM
The blackberry converter program only allows me to save the video file as an AVI file which the blackberry does not recognize. I don't know how to save it in a format that the blackberry understands. The Roxio program is a complete mystery to me. I can't figure out how to convert my wmv files that played on my Q or any DVD's on the Roxio software. I am normally pretty good at playing around and getting things figured out but the video conversion for the 8830 has me completely confused.

EmptyInTheHead
06-04-2007, 02:15 PM
With the Roxio program you just 'move' a file with the up or down arrow button from one location (Your PC) to the BB device. It will then prompt you if you want to optimize it for playback on the BB. It's kind of a weird interface but it does seem to work for almost everything I've tried.

amarryat
08-02-2007, 08:20 AM
I've tried multiple times and ways to get my new 8830 to play videos. I've converted DVD's and files to avi files but they do not play. The screen show error "The media being played is of a unsupported format".

Anybody have any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

I had no idea how to do this either. But I did this yesterday for the first time with the ImToo DVD Ripper Platinum. One of the options is to rip the DVD into "Ipod" MP4 files. Then you can use the Roxio Media Manager that came with the Blackberry to move it to the Blackberry. Even after using ImToo to convert to the Ipod format, I still used the advanced options in Media Manager to adjust for smallest file size. It worked, though it took a long time - probably over an hour to rip the DVD, then that long to convert again/copy to the Blackberry.

starpix
10-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Encode to .AVI using DivX(have not tested other codecs) using whatever program you like.
Connect 8830 to PC Desktop Manager and start Media Manager.
Drag the .AVI file to Media Manager to your card.
When prompted to Optimize, etc. - Choose Optimize. (will take awhile)
Media Manager will convert .AVI to .MP4 to watch on 8830.
You probably can't watch the new .MP4 on your computer so save the .AVI for future reference.

akosnitzky
10-02-2007, 11:19 AM

The program developer claims that the Blackberry video creator does not work with VZW.

daves
10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
try mobiola studio for encoding video and then transferring to the BB

akosnitzky
10-02-2007, 12:39 PM
try mobiola studio for encoding video and then transferring to the BB

What types of video?
What about DRM from itunes?

Torrents do not seem to be a problem.

daves
10-02-2007, 01:40 PM
What types of video?
What about DRM from itunes?

Torrents do not seem to be a problem.

so far, all I've done is non DRMed WMF, but also did test a DVD (I think I put the DVD in and it pulled from the VOBs (I think..can't recall). Also it of course would do AVI with the right codecs.

From their help file:
"Video file formats for Mobiola® Studio for BlackBerry:
avi, 3gp, mov, mpeg, mpg, mjpeg, mp4, mg2, mve, m4v, mkv, dv, flv, smk
str, vob, rm, fli, flc, wve, uv2, wmv, 3g2, asf"

I just put it out there b/c I've found it to be an inexpensive and very handy utility for encoding to something that looks good on the BB (although I suppose one could manually set the parms, e.g. 15fps, 320x240, etc.).

The files it does are small, and the other thing I liked is continued good audio / video sync, which I didn't get from a different product I tried.

Didn't mean to steal the thread...

jpayne8
10-04-2007, 09:18 AM
I bought Media Studio for BB 1.3 and it seems to do an good job on moving all forms of video to the 8830. The one issue is the media player on the 8830 does not handle large files well so the software breaks it into pieces. Example Blackhawk Down is broken into 6 separate parts. The result is smooth video with good sound.

This is the only software I have found to work without too many steps.

amarryat
10-04-2007, 09:37 AM
I bought Media Studio for BB 1.3 and it seems to do an good job on moving all forms of video to the 8830. The one issue is the media player on the 8830 does not handle large files well so the software breaks it into pieces. Example Blackhawk Down is broken into 6 separate parts. The result is smooth video with good sound.

This is the only software I have found to work without too many steps.

Using the ImToo, I have The Bourne Identity ripped to 1 file - it's 550MB and it plays fine. After ripping, you just copy the file to the Blackberry's Video folder.