PDA

View Full Version : 8830 email delay?

trams
06-03-2007, 11:13 PM
I am getting a major delay when sending and receiving email on my 8830. For instance, when I am supposed to receive an email, my POP client on my computer will get the email and then 15 minutes later my BB will get it. I am not using it with the blackberry server etc. I am using my gmail. This is my first blackberry so I am sure it could be how I set it up. Any insight would be great. :? <-- Me

Dubdub
06-04-2007, 12:09 AM
It is working normally as that is the way BIS works. There can be up to a 15 minute delay in receiving email. RIM's servers poll your email servers approx every 15 minutes. If it finds something, it sends it tot he BB and polls the servers again and repeats the process until there is no more mail waiting. 15 minutes or so later, the process starts all over again.

I suggest you do a search if you want to use gmail and/or Yahoo to get it faster. Personally, a 15 min delay is not unreasonable for me.

someonexh
06-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Gmail should be instant.. not 15 minutes. If I wanted to wait 15 minutes for emails I would have stuck with my WM phone :)

Go here and set up your email account within the link.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

trams
06-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Gmail should be instant.. not 15 minutes. If I wanted to wait 15 minutes for emails I would have stuck with my WM phone :)

Go here and set up your email account within the link.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Yea. 15 minutes is WAY to long for me. I did set up my gmail at that link a while back. That is how I have had it set up.

Isn't push email supposed to be instant? Or does it work like... It bouces off gmail's server once every 15 minutes and then "pushes" it to the phone the "instant" IT gets it. Cause if that's the case, that pretty much sucks.

Thanks for your help everyone.

someonexh
06-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Yea. 15 minutes is WAY to long for me. I did set up my gmail at that link a while back. That is how I have had it set up.

Isn't push email supposed to be instant? Or does it work like... It bouces off gmail's server once every 15 minutes and then "pushes" it to the phone the "instant" IT gets it. Cause if that's the case, that pretty much sucks.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Nope its INSTANT. .. I got this thread notification the second you replied to it :) Not sure what the issues is with yours.. you're not using the gmail app are you?

Dubdub
06-04-2007, 07:50 AM
Personally it doesn't suck. Works great for me. Even running my own company, I do not find that I need email instantly. When I had a WM Blackjack, it pulled email every 15 minutes. RIM pushes it to the phone as I described above.

If 15 mins is too long, then I suggest you move to one of the hosted BES solutions and pay even more.

I guess I fail to see the need for having real time email delivery. But if you think you need it, go for it.

trams
06-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Oh, just in case anyone was wondering... When I send an email it is, 100% instant. - - Which I love. :smile:

Just hope I can get receiving email to be just as fast.

someonexh
06-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Personally it doesn't suck. Works great for me. Even running my own company, I do not find that I need email instantly. When I had a WM Blackjack, it pulled email every 15 minutes. RIM pushes it to the phone as I described above.

If 15 mins is too long, then I suggest you move to one of the hosted BES solutions and pay even more.

I guess I fail to see the need for having real time email delivery. But if you think you need it, go for it.

Too me that's the point of the BB.. instant email delivery. I get instant emails from my gmail account with no BES. There has to be a reason for this cause.

someonexh
06-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Oh, just in case anyone was wondering... When I send an email it is, 100% instant. - - Which I love. :smile:

Just hope I can get receiving email to be just as fast.

PM, or hit me up on googlechat.. i can try to help you fix this.

JSanders
06-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Trams, ditto someonexh, you just don't have it setup correctly or something. No one else on Gmail complains about a delay.

I really don't care, I don't mind the 15 minute delay. Some people may need it, but regardless like Dub said, that is the the way it was designed.

zerog46
06-04-2007, 08:19 AM
Did you update your service books since yesterday for bis. since the new one is out might have something to do with it.

trams
06-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Nope its INSTANT. .. I got this thread notification the second you replied to it :) Not sure what the issues is with yours.. you're not using the gmail app are you?

Yes. I am using google app. :? Please tell me this isn't a problem. I thought it's just gmail with a different domain.

someonexh
06-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Yes. I am using google app. :? Please tell me this isn't a problem. I thought it's just gmail with a different domain.

hit me up on googlechat someonexh

I will see if we can fix this.

trams
06-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Did you update your service books since yesterday for bis. since the new one is out might have something to do with it.

What's a service book? Man I feel like a dummy. I'm new, forgive me.

trams
06-04-2007, 08:29 AM
hit me up on googlechat someonexh

I will see if we can fix this.

Sure thing. Thanks. :smile:

zerog46
06-04-2007, 08:35 AM
Log onto the Blackberry internet site, on the left hand side it will say service books, click on that then click on send to phone.

someonexh
06-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Log onto the Blackberry internet site, on the left hand side it will say service books, click on that then click on send to phone.

We compared all of our settings, thing is, he isnt using a "gmail" account, he has google hosting his email account. I asked him to try a gmail account to see if it's instant then try to set up forwarding between the two.

trams
06-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Service books didn't work. I am using:
Google Apps (http://www.google.com/a/)

I am sure I'm not the only one doing this. I will be working on it. If I find a solution I will post.

Thanks again for your help everyone. :smile:

JSanders
06-04-2007, 09:16 AM
I am using my gmail.

uh, all that, and Tram doesn't know what email he is using? Google Domains hosting is NOT gmail, lol.

So, using Google Domains hosting (like a regular POP account) you will be getting your mail to your Bb on a regular 15 minute interval like everyone else. For instant receiving, otherwise, you can forward all your mail to gmail, or forward to your blackberry.net address, or get BES. Those are your choices.

trams
06-04-2007, 09:27 AM
uh, all that, and Tram doesn't know what email he is using? Google Domains hosting is NOT gmail, lol.

Trams does know what email he is using.... when your pop server is pop.gmail.com you are using gmail. The email address' domain is irrelevant. I am no computer dummy. I am just new to blackberry.

Thanks for the info, could have done without the smart-aleck comment.

JSanders
06-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Trams does know what email he is using.... when your pop server is pop.gmail.com you are using gmail. The email address' domain is irrelevant. I am no computer dummy. I am just new to blackberry.

Thanks for the info, could have done without the smart-aleck comment.

Nope. No smart-aleck comment added this time.

But at least you know now why you are getting your push e-mail on the normal and routine basis.

trams
06-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Related article:

Google Apps is great BUT: GMAIL + Blackberry = Horrible (http://www.calacanis.com/2007/03/03/google-apps-is-great-but-gmail-blackberry-horrible/)

Excerpt:

I think the whole BIS/Google Apps problem is based on the fact that a google apps account does not have a @<hidden> so BIS does not recognize it and you are forced to use manual setup which is not instant.

Perhaps an alias gmail email to go along with each google aps domain email? (ie. jim@<hidden> = jim.mydomain.com.gapps@<hidden>) That would trick RIM. Or maybe an option on BIS to tell it it really is gmail.

someonexh
06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Related article:

Google Apps is great BUT: GMAIL + Blackberry = Horrible (http://www.calacanis.com/2007/03/03/google-apps-is-great-but-gmail-blackberry-horrible/)

Excerpt:

I think the whole BIS/Google Apps problem is based on the fact that a google apps account does not have a @<hidden> so BIS does not recognize it and you are forced to use manual setup which is not instant.

Perhaps an alias gmail email to go along with each google aps domain email? (ie. jim@<hidden> = jim.mydomain.com.gapps@<hidden>) That would trick RIM. Or maybe an option on BIS to tell it it really is gmail.

good read, thanks :)

trams
06-04-2007, 02:36 PM
Ok... I got it to receive instantly now. Kind of hackish, but not bad. There are a few ways to do this as Jsanders mentioned above. Here's one I used that works perfect. Here's how to set up your Google Apps (http://www.google.com/a/) mail account on the 8830 w/ Verizon:

Step 1:
Go to BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.blackberry.com/go/vzw) and create a BlackBerry Device Email Address

Step 2:
Login in to your google apps webmail ie: https://mail.google.com/a/yourdomain.com/
Go to settings in the top right, then click forwarding and pop. Under forwarding check the radio button "Forward a copy of incoming mail to" and put in your vzw address that you just created in step 1 ie: yourname@<hidden>

Step 3:
Go back to BlackBerry Internet Service (http://www.blackberry.com/go/vzw) and edit your settings for the yourname@<hidden> address you created in step 1. Set your reply to as your google apps email address ie: yourname@<hidden>
P.S. you can also get rid of the cheesy signature that verizon provides in this step

Step 4:
Try sending an email to yourname@<hidden> and you'll get that instant chime on your BB. You know what that chime means???

It means you are an ass-kicker. That's what it means. - - It also means your email is instantly pushing to your phone. No delay.

Now reply to it. Yes... the email you just sent comes from yourname@<hidden>, not your blackberry address. How sweet is that I ask??!?! Very. Hope this helped someone. 8-)

- - - - -
NOTE:
As I have found. This is a very good temporary solution. Eventually, the bis will realize that your google app email is in fact gmail just without the @<hidden> Until then, this solution works great. ;-)

someonexh
06-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Isn't this exactly what I said to do? :)

JSanders
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM

Yup, same way other people do it.

someonexh
06-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Yup, same way other people do it.

Makes sense :) Glad it works.

trams
06-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Yep. Thanks. Wasn't sure if the reply-to function would hide the actual address it came from. But it does. Works great. Thanks again for your help. (y)

someonexh
06-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Yep. Thanks. Wasn't sure if the reply-to function would hide the actual address it came from. But it does. Works great. Thanks again for your help. (y)

Great :) anytime.