PDA

View Full Version : Using 8700 as modem issue (Yes I searched first!)

unknownman_007
06-04-2007, 12:04 AM
I've been trying to get to get my GSM blackberry 8700 to work with a modem on my computer. I've been following all the instructions in the thread, except when I get to the point to query the modem, I get the following message:

The port that the modem is attached to could not be opened. This may be the result of a hardware conflict. Check the device manager to verify all devices are functional.

Well, that's a very general message. Yes, all is fine in device manager, and the blackberry is attached with my desktop software open and running.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

I'm desperate for help.

Thanks!

Galvatron
06-04-2007, 06:18 AM
MobiShark Online Blackberry Store: Blackberry as a modem (http://www.mobishark.com)

buy and DL sharkmodem it solves all your problems
even better it makes sure your not charged mbs towerds your data. very handy.

unknownman_007
06-04-2007, 03:22 PM
I did do that, but my biggest fuss with that is that it's a proxy :-(

I think that's kind of a hassle. Besides, I already have unlimited data.

Thanks anyway.

Any other suggestions??

Galvatron
06-04-2007, 04:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

The proxy is easier to set up than you think more over windows only loos for hard conection s like eathernet and wifi it dose not considder a blackberry tetherd via usb. Cause the is no usb modem diever justa serial one. Trust me I have been down this road already

silentmax
06-05-2007, 01:13 AM
hi im using my 8700 as a modem already this is my company phone and im preaty much compd for this but just a question if its unlimited data... is it really unlimited i heard there is a max on data after that you get charged even though they say it is "unlimited" my carrier is starhub singapore

just dont want to get fired for this hehehhehe

Galvatron
06-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

One of the benifits of using shark moden is that while in use it dosn't charge tows your data pan the coders made sure of that. An they ask you to tell then if it dose so they can corrext that

Igor
06-10-2007, 01:46 AM
I have been using sharkmodem for quite a while and it has worked fairly well. I am on cingular (with the 8700) and have only had minor issues. When I first began using sharkmodem, I noticed that I started getting data overages on my bill even though I have the BB Unlimited plan. After a few calls to cingular and several notes made on my account I finally got to talk with someone in advanced network services who informed me that my account was not provisioned properly. You need to ensure that the wap.cingular apn is provisioned on your account. The thing that puzzles me is the fact that I have been using the BB for a year very heavily and never had data issues until I began using sharkmodem. In the end I am not being charged for the extra data usage. However, if your are on cingular I would not recommend pulling down gigs of data with sharkmodem without first keeping a close eye on your bill. I manage it all online so its convenient. I love my 8700 and am very happy with sharkmodem so I strongly recommend trying it. Just keep a close eye on things in the beginning and whatever you do... DO NOT TELL CINGULAR THAT YOU ARE TETHERING. Using sharkmodem is technically not considered tethering from the network standpoint... but it can rack up some serious data usage. I know this was a long post but I dont want to see anyone get stuck with data charges they should not be charged for. PM me if you have questions.

prettymonica
12-10-2007, 01:19 AM
Dear folks,

I have one question with using my 8700r as a modem. Do I have to have a BB data plan or my Rogers data plan is suffice?

Thanks,
M

johnfromphilly
12-10-2007, 09:37 AM
Straight out of the FAQ:

Using BlackBerry As Modem - BlackBerryFAQ (http://blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Using_BlackBerry_As_Modem)

prettymonica
12-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Dear folks,

Thanks, I read the FAQ. What I really want to know is, do I have to have a Blackberry data plan in order to use my BB as a modem?

I want to save some money using my BB instead of my Yahoo portable internet modem.

Or, can i use a non-Blackberry plan and buying the shark modem to use BB as a modem?

Thanks in advance,
M