PDA

View Full Version : no sim card :-(

rockbottom8
06-04-2007, 12:25 PM
according to my reseller, when you get the phone, the sim card is not included IF you do not get the global plan. I am only going out the country once so I will not need this. I don't want to get emails on my phone when I am on vacation. Is this true? Am I suppoed to get the sim card for free even without the global plan?

dbdynsty25
06-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Uhh...does this post make any sense? If you're going out of the country and you don't need calls or data, why do you care if you get the sim card? And no, you do not get it unless you get the global pack.

takeshi
06-04-2007, 12:58 PM
What do you intend to do with the SIM card if you don't need it?

MikesTooLz
06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
You could get your bb unlocked and put a prepaid sim in it (prepaid sim is around $10 on ebay). I wouldnt know how to unlock it though.

If you do wind up doing this however send me a message and let me know.

rockbottom8
06-04-2007, 01:09 PM
No bascially i was wondering, if you get the phone, do u get the sim card as well or do you need to get the global plan?

Sniperet
06-04-2007, 03:04 PM
The sales rep who sold me mine said the same thing so I got the global plan and just now cancelled it.

Mad Max
06-04-2007, 03:14 PM
I just ordered the SIM card ($29.99) from Verizon without signing up for the world data plan. The data plan is $ 64.99 per month, it has nothing to do with making calls. The Verizon stores for some reason can't sell the SIM card without you upgrading to the data plan.

rockbottom8
06-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I just ordered the SIM card ($29.99) from Verizon without signing up for the world data plan. The data plan is $ 64.99 per month, it has nothing to do with making calls. The Verizon stores for some reason can't sell the SIM card without you upgrading to the data plan.

why would u do this? r u going to try to unlock it? I am going to spain and if i could get my phone to work there and get email without the global plan that would be cool!

MikesTooLz
06-04-2007, 09:13 PM
why would u do this? r u going to try to unlock it? I am going to spain and if i could get my phone to work there and get email without the global plan that would be cool!

If you order the sim card from verizon you dont have to unlock the phone.

Mad Max
06-04-2007, 09:13 PM
I think the SIM card is only free if you sign up for the Global Data Plan. I don't care about unlocking or getting E-Mail, all I want is to be able to use the 8830 to make calls when I'm in Europe. I don't go over that much for the Global Data Plan to be worth it for me.

rockbottom8
06-04-2007, 11:57 PM
but dont u need the global data plan in order to use the sim card in europe? my phone would be able to recieve calls and such with no global data plan? maybe i can get the sim card and then add th eplan later...LOL.

aviationwiz
06-05-2007, 03:02 AM
You can either get the SIM card included free when you sign up for the global data plan, or purchase the SIM separately for $40 without going on the global data plan, which would then just be good for making voice calls while overseas.

Mad Max
06-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Thank You aviationwiz! This is what I've tried in 2 posts to explain to rockbottom8.

rockbottom8
06-05-2007, 09:13 AM
hahaha...sorry...i get it now...have been extremely out of it the last few days!

Mad Max
06-06-2007, 07:33 PM
No problem (y)

bppilot
06-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I ordered the SIM card and just received it. Called Vzw to activate the SIM, and they told me the system won't allow them to unless I add the Global Data Plan. Has anyone been able to successfully get the SIM added without doing the Global Data plan? I had two reps on the phone - regular cust svc. and a Global Cust Service and both told me it wasn't possible.

RadioDude
06-07-2007, 04:55 AM
I ordered the SIM card and just received it. Called Vzw to activate the SIM, and they told me the system won't allow them to unless I add the Global Data Plan. Has anyone been able to successfully get the SIM added without doing the Global Data plan? I had two reps on the phone - regular cust svc. and a Global Cust Service and both told me it wasn't possible.

Even though you can purchase the sim card verizon will not activate it without the global plan,i want the sim card strictly for a phonebook backup,this is a carrier driven decision.

takeshi
06-07-2007, 09:07 AM
If you're a BIS user then unlocking isn't a practical solution as you'd have to delete your domestic BIS account and set up BIS with the overseas carrier (and reverse when you get back). Not to mention that it is extremely difficult to find Blackberry data on prepaid anyway (I've only seen mention of one carrier that might do this).

Mad Max
06-07-2007, 03:10 PM
I received my SIM card today, I called Verizon global customer service and they activated my SIM with no problem without the global data plan. I immediately received a text message from Blackberry that my handheld has been registered with the wireless network.