PDA

View Full Version : BES and Personal Email

emporer_troy
06-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I have a BB 8800 activated on my companies BES. I have also set up my personal email on the phone through the web based system that cingular/att provides. My question is, how can I get these to display seperately? I have an icon on my home screen that just displays my personal emails but when I click the "messages" I get my company emails from the BES AND my personal email. I do not want my personal showing up under both icons. Does anyone know how to change this option?

Thanks,

MikesTooLz
06-04-2007, 05:34 PM
open your mailbox then go to options > General Option.

change SMS and email inboxes to SEPERATE.

juwaack68
06-04-2007, 05:37 PM
It's possible this is controlled by the IT Policy enforced on your device (since it's connected to a BES).

To find out go into your service books (Options / Advanced / Service Book). Do your personal email accounts show a circle with a line thru it, or a check mark?

penguin3107
06-04-2007, 05:54 PM
when I click the "messages" I get my company emails from the BES AND my personal email. I do not want my personal showing up under both icons. Does anyone know how to change this option?

You can't.
BES mail will only come into the 'Messages' icon. This is a consolidated inbox which collects mail from any and all accounts (BIS included) linked to the BlackBerry.

penguin3107
06-04-2007, 05:55 PM
open your mailbox then go to options > General Option.
change SMS and email inboxes to SEPERATE.

This will not help the user. The question is related to BIS and BES messages... not SMS messages.

emporer_troy
06-05-2007, 07:54 AM
You're right, i've already seperated out the SMS and MMS messages into a seperate folder. I just wanted my personal email not to appear in the consolidated or standard "messages" icon/folder. I wanted to keep this just for the BES messages.

whsbuss
06-05-2007, 08:48 AM
You're right, i've already seperated out the SMS and MMS messages into a seperate folder. I just wanted my personal email not to appear in the consolidated or standard "messages" icon/folder. I wanted to keep this just for the BES messages.

As penguin stated you cannot accomplish this. BES uses "Desktop" on the BB and that places all emails/messages in the "Messages" folder. Unfortunately this folder is a consolidation of all other mail inbox folders as well.

juwaack68
06-05-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm not sure that's entirely true...

On our BES we restrict the ability to 'send as' an external email account, which does force all mail to come into the Messages icon.

I just set the Default policy on my device (which restricts nothing) and I suddenly have another messages icon for my personal email account (and when I highlight the icon my email account shows at the bottom of the screen).

Perhaps I'm missing something?

penguin3107
06-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Perhaps I'm missing something?

Yes, I think you are. ;)

The BIS accounts do get their own Messages icon. 1 for each BIS account on the device.
However, the BES account does not get its own Messages icon. All messages from the BES account will go into the 'Messages' module on the BlackBerry. Unfortunately, the 'Messages' icon is a consolidated mailbox and will also gather mail from the BIS accounts.
If you have both BIS and BES set up on the device, there is no way to get BES mail into its own box. It will always share its box with the BIS mail.

BIS mail will go into BOTH the 'Messages' module as well as its own mailbox module.

BES mail can only go into the 'Messages' module.

robkjm
06-05-2007, 09:38 AM
If you have both BIS and BES set up on the device, there is no way to get BES mail into its own box. It will always share its box with the BIS mail.

BIS mail will go into BOTH the 'Messages' module as well as its own mailbox module.

Interesting--I was curious about this as well (I posted a related question yesterday about seeing BES and non-BES emails). I assume that in the email options, under Email Reconciliation, the choice of 'Delete On' applies to the BES as well as the BIS email accounts, is that right? That is, if I choose 'Mailbox & Handheld' and delete emails from my BB, will they also get deleted from both the IMAP server that I use for the BIS account (if that's where they originated) as well as the those that I delete that originate from the BES account?

juwaack68
06-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Yes, I think you are. ;)

Of this I have no doubt ;-)

That makes sense, and after I reapplied the normal IT Policy to my device, the BIS messages icon was still there, but the service books for the account was denied....meaning I most likely just had the icon hidden and forgot it was hidden.

takeshi
06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
I assume that in the email options, under Email Reconciliation, the choice of 'Delete On' applies to the BES as well as the BIS email accounts, is that right? That is, if I choose 'Mailbox & Handheld' and delete emails from my BB, will they also get deleted from both the IMAP server that I use for the BIS account (if that's where they originated) as well as the those that I delete that originate from the BES account?
Nope. For most BIS users Delete On won't really do anything. For BIS 1.8 users you can set it to delete on both the BB and the BIS server but not the original account. BIS 2.3 might change things but I haven't confirmed that myself.

IIRC, since the BIS doesn't properly support IMAP the Delete On is also pretty pointless but you should be able to quickly verify this yourself (I don't have any IMAP accounts to test with).

morrsi6896
06-05-2007, 10:34 AM
My company just switched me from Cingular to Verizon. Does Verizon offer a similar web access to allow me to forward my personal e-mail to my Blackberry??

Thanks in advance!!!

morris6896

MPScan
06-05-2007, 10:38 AM
My company just switched me from Cingular to Verizon. Does Verizon offer a similar web access to allow me to forward my personal e-mail to my Blackberry??

You mean Verizon branded BIS?

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

robkjm
06-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Nope. For most BIS users Delete On won't really do anything. For BIS 1.8 users you can set it to delete on both the BB and the BIS server but not the original account. BIS 2.3 might change things but I haven't confirmed that myself.

IIRC, since the BIS doesn't properly support IMAP the Delete On is also pretty pointless but you should be able to quickly verify this yourself (I don't have any IMAP accounts to test with).

Thanks for the clarification. There is something else I was curious about--if you have both a BES and BIS account, and you reply to an email in your Inbox that was from the BIS account, does your email look to the recipient as though it originated from that particular account, or do all emails originate from the account linked to the BES server? And if you just compose one from scratch, can you choose which account it originates from?

takeshi
06-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Replies are sent via the account that the email was received on. New email is created under the account set as the default in Options->Message Services. However, the BB will "remember" the account you used to email a recipient and override that default.

You can always scroll up into the header to manually select the account for new email. To do this with replies requires a 3rd party app, IIRC.

All carriers that offer Blackberries have BIS. You can find the URL's for the BIS sites for various carriers at BlackberryFAQ.com.

robkjm
06-07-2007, 03:41 PM

Well I finally just set up BIS with Verizon on my 8830 for my second email account (my primary account was already on a BES). Some observations:

-very quick and easy to set up
-when deleting a BIS email from the BB I am asked if I want to delete from Mailbox and Handheld or just on Handheld. If I choose both, the email is deleted from my IMAP server.
-as you had said, when I reply to an email, the reply is sent from the appropriate account (ie the account it that the original email was sent to). If composing from scratch you can choose which account--I don't appear to need any third party app to do this.

gadgetjunkies
06-07-2007, 05:59 PM
I am thinking of going to the BIS (Cingular) from my current Mailstreet BES. I know I will give up getting my emails quicker but is there really anything else that I would miss? I'm paying $9.99/mth to Mailstreet and an extra $15/mth to Cingular just to have BES. Not sure it is worth it.

penguin3107
06-07-2007, 07:42 PM
is there really anything else that I would miss?

I don't know if you'll miss it... but you'll be giving up wireless PIM sync of contacts, calendar, tasks and memos.
You also wouldn't be able to use any applications that require MDS services.

bmauldin
06-08-2007, 05:42 PM
I just got BES yesterday. I have filters to allow certain emails sent to my device from my email account via BES. Any emails I sent from my email address appears on the device due to BES. Is there any way I can prevent this? I am aware that you can hide sent msgs but that means I won't see my sent emails that I send from the device itself. Thanks.

bmauldin
06-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Maybe I am overlooking something but I don't see any replies meaning no one has the answer to my question?