PDA

View Full Version : Google Maps/Bluetooth Voice Dial Problem

bpoteet
06-04-2007, 08:19 PM
Well I took the plunge and got my first Blackberry (8830) and so far so good. As a previous XV6700 user I'm still getting used to apps that just work with no hassles. :)

I'm having 2 problems so far:

1. When I press the button on my bluetooth headset to activate voice dialing, the voice dialer launches, and just gives "Initializing..." forever, no matter how long I let it sit there. If I try without my headset on, it works fine. I've searched here and elsewhere and haven't found anything quite like this; any ideas?

2. I have a Holux-231 external bluetooth GPS puck that I am able to pair and use with Blackberry Maps. When I try to use it with Google Maps I get strange behavior. The app launches, displays my current location, then the program freezes up. If I power down the Blackberry and restart it, Google Maps shows as running, and when I try to switch to it, it gives an application crash message and finally exits. I think Google Maps may be confused as to which GPS to use, the internal or the external. I set Options--->Advance Options--->GPS to use the Holux, but I have no luck. Has anyone run into this problem?

By the way, great site, and lots of good info here. Thanks in advance!

Brian

bpoteet
06-05-2007, 01:12 PM
Well, the voice dialing issue resolved itself it seems. Still no luck on the Google Maps thing though.

Airmark1
06-05-2007, 02:09 PM
I thought the 8800 had an internal GPS chip. Or am I mixing up my BB's?

bpoteet
06-05-2007, 02:35 PM
It does have GPS on board, but Verizon in their infinite wisdom chose to lock it down until such time when they can figure out to charge us for it. It wasn't a dealbreaker for me since I already had a puck.

chad@ic-2000.com
06-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I am also having the same voice dial problem. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm going to contact Verizon about it, which will probably be a waste, but we'll see.