PDA

View Full Version : 8830 in black vs. silver

dkowal
06-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Verizon Wireless only offers the 8830 in Silver. There are sites on the internet e.g.

Cellular Accessories - SonyEricsson, NEC, Motorola, Nokia, Panasonic, Sanyo and Samsung. Quality housing, keypads, LCD screens, chargers, batteries, data cables, parts (http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-88008830-black-full-housing-p-1609.html)

that offer black cases. Is this the only option if we want to have the 8830 device in black vs. the silver?

I am getting used to the 8830, however, I guess I just prefer it black than silver.

Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks...

whsbuss
06-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Verizon Wireless only offers the 8830 in Silver. There are sites on the internet e.g.

Cellular Accessories - SonyEricsson, NEC, Motorola, Nokia, Panasonic, Sanyo and Samsung. Quality housing, keypads, LCD screens, chargers, batteries, data cables, parts (http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-88008830-black-full-housing-p-1609.html)

that offer black cases. Is this the only option if we want to have the 8830 device in black vs. the silver?

I am getting used to the 8830, however, I guess I just prefer it black than silver.

Thanks...

I like black better too. Sprint's 8830 will come in black.

dkowal
06-05-2007, 09:06 AM
I like black better too. Sprint's 8830 will come in black.

Has anyone tried changing the physical case to a black case? Is it pretty straight forward and easy? or do we risk damaging the device?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,...

Sniperet
06-05-2007, 07:03 PM

Thanks...

OOPS

markn455
06-05-2007, 07:27 PM
I stopped by the Verion store on the way home and checked out the 8830 in silver. Personally, I think it looks terrible and the case look cheap and feels cheap. My son-in-law has the 8800 from AT&T in black and I don't know if this is basically the same device or not but it looks and feels better.

I can't believe the retail price on this device is over $500. Operationally it is a little cool. I think the track ball is very nices but that was about the only thing.

Didn't I see the 8830 on the Verizon site in both colors? Maybe I was dreaming. In any case, as long as this only comes in silver, I am sticking with my 8703e.

Mark
Ball Ground, GA

Jimmyk001
06-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Well, I gotta tell you, at first I thought the silver case would be pretty ugly. All the pre-release photos = YUK!!! But then when I got one, I started liking it. A lot. Side by side, I'd take a silver if all options were the same. Black is as much of a grease magnet as silver. I did order a black Vaja case though which will tone it down a little and make the sides a little less slippery.

infinity
06-06-2007, 01:20 AM
I liked the black 8800 better to until I got the 8830. I like this color now. Looks a lot better in person.... I would never have thought I would like a white/silver phone...I hate white...white cars...white anything.

One thing that HAS been fixed over the black 8800 is the stupid case in the side doesn't "creak" when you squeeze it. This occurred with the blackberry8800 but not with my 8830. Apparently they have fixed this since it's more or less the same case, different electronics inside...so the 8830 Is MORE sturdy than the other phone.

takeshi
06-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Is this the only option if we want to have the 8830 device in black vs. the silver?

Yup. Unless Sprint offers it in black and you switch to them...

I stopped by the Verion store on the way home and checked out the 8830 in silver. Personally, I think it looks terrible and the case look cheap and feels cheap. My son-in-law has the 8800 from AT&T in black and I don't know if this is basically the same device or not but it looks and feels better.
They're the GSM and CDMA equivalents of each other. Build quality should be pretty much the same though there have been some slight differences in build in similar cases in the past. However, I suspect it's really just your perception in this situation.

I can't believe the retail price on this device is over $500.
Any wireless data device is going to have a very high full retail (unsubsidized) price. It's not unique to the 8830.

Didn't I see the 8830 on the Verizon site in both colors? Maybe I was dreaming. In any case, as long as this only comes in silver, I am sticking with my 8703e.

Full qwerty BB's haven't been offered in multiple colors from a single carrier so far -- only the Pearl at this point.

someonexh
06-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Same, I really am liking the silver 8830. Maybe down the road I will change them just so it seems like a new phone :)

Jimmyk001
06-06-2007, 01:13 PM
....Looks a lot better in person....

I agree 100%

DonNguyen
06-06-2007, 04:15 PM
i'd prefer it in black, but its doesnt make the phone better or worse function wise....

jaxberry
06-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I have to say that I have always loved black phones over silver phones - executive or industrial over trendy and shiny. I was completely disappointed when I saw the first press photos of VZW's 8830 in silver and truly believed that I would not switch to this device (coming from a 7130e) because of the color.

But after seeing it in person (like inifinity and Jimmyk001 have mentioned), I instantly lost my black over silver preference. This phone imo is sexy WITH an executive edge. I get a ton of looks and questions from coworkers and partners who see me on my new 8830, and every comment is positive.

And besides its good looks, the phone is solid - mine's rock solid. Nothing like the 8800s I've played with from Cingy (I did a 30 day trial). Don't let anybody fool you, but this phone is quite a different animal than its GSM counterpart.

The performance is zippy, the EVDO is much appreciated, and its global functionality is a definite plus for us overseas travelers.

I've been a BB user for a while now (7250, 7130e, 8703e, 8100) and I like my 8830 the best so far. I've also been with just about every carrier out there, and in my neck of the woods, nothing touches VZW.

Bottom line - I love my Verizon 8830! I'll be keeping this for a long time.

dkowal
06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
I started this thread, but I don't think I wrote my thoughts correctly. I do love my silver shiney 8830 just the way I received it from Verizon Wireless.

However, having said that, I also like the black color as well. You can take your SILVER 8830, - take it apart, and replace it with a BLACK OEM housing.

Then, it will look IDENTICAL to a black 8830 offered by Cingular, but I believe they call theirs the 8800.

The link to do this is:

htp://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-88008830-black-full-housing-p-1609.html

Take a look. It's $79 bucks and it's OEM. Completely replaces your silver for Black, should you care to do so.

I was asking if anyone has done this yet?

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

speedbagger
06-11-2007, 07:48 PM
looks cool but what about the keys??

dkowal
06-11-2007, 09:56 PM
looks cool but what about the keys??

I was thinking the same thing actually. Perhaps we need to ask the seller at that website. I'm sure they have something that works....

Thoughts anyone?

lmwong
06-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Hi, newbie here. Just trolling around and thought I'd add that the Cingular 8800 is blue, not black. I much prefer black over blue and would be interested in getting the OEM black case if I can find replacement black keys as well. Thanks for the link!

BTW, I was looking to replace the casing of my 8100, and of course they carry only the keypad and not the casing! DOH!

chrisxxx
08-01-2007, 01:08 PM
soooooo..... anyone get a hold of the seller of the site and see about the keyboard.

chrisxxx
08-01-2007, 01:17 PM
soooooo..... anyone get a hold of the seller of the site and see about the keyboard.

ohhh wait nevermind. i was looking on the site and went through to the blackberry section and it showed a black keyboard, now we need someone to do the whole change.http://http://cnn.cn/shop/blackberry-88008830-black-keypad-p-1826.html

AndrewAZ
08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Black looks the best... But I ended up buying a silicone cover for the phone since I almost dropped it 4 or 5 times in the first week since it is slippery compared to my treo.. So now my phone is blue.

markn455
08-02-2007, 04:13 AM
Hate to say it, but I had to have one. I got the 8830 from Verizon and paid retail (I know, I am crazy). My first opinion was not good, whent to another store and that looked again. This one seems much better (maybe I was trying to justify getting one). Decided to think about it....NOT, I got the thing. Very happy!! Silver, Black, whatever, this is one great little device.

Mark
Ball Ground, GA

jjudson
08-02-2007, 08:02 AM
I thought I wanted a black one at first, too - until I went to the store and played with one. I think the black unit looks cheap and toy-like. The silver one seems much more professional-looking - especially with the two-tone silver pattern they use.

Just my worthless opinion...

baltimorepablo
08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes I got the silver one from Verizon last week and absolutely LOVE it! I came from Nextel for 4 years over to the Verizon network and it is very noticeable. Really I called Sprint before I switched and said that if they offered me SERO I'd stay, they said no, I switched. Now that I'm on Verizon I can switch to SERO becuase I'm not technically a Sprint user anymore... Do you guys think it's worth it? Is the service just the same? The internet speed the same? Any insight would be helpful.

AnthroMatt
08-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Hate to say it, but I had to have one. I got the 8830 from Verizon and paid retail (I know, I am crazy). My first opinion was not good, whent to another store and that looked again. This one seems much better (maybe I was trying to justify getting one). Decided to think about it....NOT, I got the thing. Very happy!! Silver, Black, whatever, this is one great little device.

Mark
Ball Ground, GA
I feel ya...I paid retail for the 8830 from Sprint yesterday. I like the black better, but there may be advantages to the silver.

I have found the black to be a fingerprint magnet. Perhaps the silver hides them better?

AnthroMatt
08-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes I got the silver one from Verizon last week and absolutely LOVE it! I came from Nextel for 4 years over to the Verizon network and it is very noticeable. Really I called Sprint before I switched and said that if they offered me SERO I'd stay, they said no, I switched. Now that I'm on Verizon I can switch to SERO becuase I'm not technically a Sprint user anymore... Do you guys think it's worth it? Is the service just the same? The internet speed the same? Any insight would be helpful.
I thought Sprint no longer offered the 8830 as part of the SERO plans?

Also, I'm not sure how it works since you came from the Nextel side, but Sprint requires people that cancel service to wait 3 or 6 months (I am not sure which) before they can be considered new customers. Maybe this does not apply to people that were out of contract...not sure about that either.

chrisxxx
08-02-2007, 08:07 PM
yea yea. i too got the 8830 full retail but ended up taking back my 8703 because i just couldnt get that keyboard down.